PDA

View Full Version : maximat v10 lathe mill??

scotplant
03-29-2012, 06:06 PM
i have the chance of a maximat v10 combination lathe mill like this one

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=maximat+v10&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1093&bih=479&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsfd&tbnid=ZqRK_cR41zU-FM:&imgrefurl=http://www.cnczone.com/forums/servo_motors_drives/138506-mill_motor_challenge_fun_times.html&docid=Q869e9qwAP0l-M&imgurl=http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/members/joraft-albums-my-photos-picture3343-maximat-v10.jpg&w=500&h=374&ei=nNl0T6jIG_OR0QXCvsijDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=98&vpy=113&dur=2694&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=144&ty=173&sig=103186775532974340600&page=1&tbnh=131&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

but on a cabinet. with lots of tooling,boring bars etc.
all steadies, gearchange wheels, full set of collets and guick change toolpost..
whats it worth??
my old boss bought it as a joblot with some farm machinery!!
he has no idea what all the bits are for.
;) Tom

alistair1537
03-29-2012, 06:39 PM
I can't tell what it's worth - but I have one and it does very good things - one of the better combo arrangements.

The pic shows the V10P - with the cross slide feed - even better.

Cheers

Alistair

MikeA
03-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Hello Alistair,

I can't give you a 'number' but can tell you if it's within reason you should grab it! These do not up very often and if it is in good condition, it is as good a lathe as one might hope for outside of a full-blown tool-room lathe such as a Hardinge or Monarch.

Mine is a Maximat V10-P like the one in your photo, but mine was in rather atrocious condition when I bought it.

You won't regret owning it, although you do need to be aware parts are scarce as hen's teeth and priced accordingly.

All the best,
Mike

lakeside53
03-30-2012, 01:02 AM
I've owned 2 V10P's. In the USA - $1500-2500

REALLY NICE LATHE... limited but very usefull mill.

Circlip
03-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Before trying to agree a price, remove 4 screws holding top plate on headstock and remove plate. Then rotate spindle and make sure the 2 large fibre gears have ALL their teeth and are in good condition. If OK., start at about 750 for the rest in good condition. If not, you've got an immediate bill for about 200.

Is it Blue or Green? Blue milling heads are 4 speed, Green uns are 6 speed. Green machines are a later build.

Overall, I preferr it to a Myford.

Regards Ian.

planeman
03-30-2012, 09:09 AM
MikeA is right! Grab it while you can!

I have a Maximat 7 I bought it new with all of its accessories in 1969 and have loved it ever since. The V10 is the exact same lathe for all practical purposes and they both use the same geared head with the V10 using a 1 1/2" riser block under the head to give it 3 more inches of swing. These lathes are much desired and usually command a premium. I can't tell you today's value as I haven't been in the market to sell or buy one.

And as MikeA says, the accessories are hard to find and are usually costly so see if it comes with a steady rest, a follower rest and hopefully a thread dial. These items can be easily made if they are lacking though. Most everything else should be easy to find standard lathe tooling.

Planeman

scotplant
03-30-2012, 05:47 PM
well thanks for all the advice you lot :D
could not pass this one by ,snapped it up while i had the chance..
shhh!! the wife doesn't know yet..
but i'll need to finish putting the willson lathe back together first.
had a rumage through all the boxes tonight gear cutters,knurling tools,indexing threading and cutting tools, both steadies all the screwcutting gears etc, vice and collets.
i have not tried to run it yet,there is a heavy box that it plugs into is this a transformer?? or has it got a variable speed motor?
i will post some pictures tomorrow when i can
Tom;)

scotplant
03-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Before trying to agree a price, remove 4 screws holding top plate on headstock and remove plate. Then rotate spindle and make sure the 2 large fibre gears have ALL their teeth and are in good condition. If OK., start at about 750 for the rest in good condition. If not, you've got an immediate bill for about 200.

Is it Blue or Green? Blue milling heads are 4 speed, Green uns are 6 speed. Green machines are a later build.

Overall, I preferr it to a Myford.

Regards Ian.
its a green one Ian
could you tell me what the heavy box is that the power lead plugs into?
also the buttons along the top from left to right,what do they do?
i would not want to do any damage when i start it up!!
regards Tom..

loose nut
03-30-2012, 08:06 PM
The mill head can be removed and put on a Emco base if you can find one (build one).

scotplant
03-30-2012, 09:15 PM
The mill head can be removed and put on a Emco base if you can find one (build one).

i think there is a base included, square casting with 4 holes in it.
try to post pictures tomorrow.
;) Tom..

lakeside53
03-30-2012, 09:53 PM
its a green one Ian
regards Tom..

Join the yahoo Emco V10 group... and download the manuals!

Circlip
03-31-2012, 05:01 AM
I second the Yahoo V10 group. Which side of 1k ? LH buttons are forward or reverse low speed, red off, when running double button controls high speed and RH button is for millhead (if fitted) power. These are on the box fitted to the headstock. If you have a separate heavy box, it sounds like you have a 3phase machine connected to a phase converter. Pictures would help.

Change wheels are for opposite threads to machine. ie. if you have a metric machine, change wheels are for cutting imperial threads and vicky verky.

Regards Ian

planeman
03-31-2012, 09:42 AM
its a green one Ian
regards Tom..

I'll clarify the buttons some. Note that the motor is a 2-speed motor (my lathe is a 110V single phase model)

From left to right:

Button #1: Lathe reverse rotation - low speed
Button #2: Lathe forward rotation - low speed
Button #3 Stop for all rotations
Button #4 High speed - push either button #1 or #2, then push this button
Button #5 Mill head rotation

Regarding your statement "the wife doesn't know yet" . . .

Years ago in the 1970s I took up kayaking with some friends using a borrowed kayak and badly wanted a kayak of my own. Money was tight then and buying a new one was out of the question. I found out there was a small group that had pulled a mold from a new kayak (this was in the days of fiberglass, not roto-molded polyethylene) and I could make a nice kayak of my own at their place which I did. It was a beautiful thing when finished! Knowing I would catch hell from the wife for spending the money if I brought it home, I left it with one of my kayaking buddies and he would bring it over with the rest of their kayaks when he came to pick me up. I really wanted to get it into the house and was looking for a way to do it when, finally, an opportunity arrived. The Southeastern Kayaking Championships were being held close by by the big kayaking club where by pals were members. I took my young son with me to watch. While he and I were in the kayak shop on the river I saw a large glass jar on a counter saying "Win a kayak! One dollar." I pulled out a dollar and put it in the jar with my son watching. A week later a letter arrived at our house on the kayak club stationery saying I had won the kayak (one of my pals was the club secretary) and I danced around the house in joy. I then drove over to my friend;s house and retrieved my kayak. Later on, the divorce was very expensive. :(

Planeman

scotplant
03-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Regarding your statement "the wife doesn't know yet" . . .

Years ago in the 1970s I took up kayaking with some friends using a borrowed kayak and badly wanted a kayak of my own. Money was tight then and buying a new one was out of the question. I found out there was a small group that had pulled a mold from a new kayak (this was in the days of fiberglass, not roto-molded polyethylene) and I could make a nice kayak of my own at their place which I did. It was a beautiful thing when finished! Knowing I would catch hell from the wife for spending the money if I brought it home, I left it with one of my kayaking buddies and he would bring it over with the rest of their kayaks when he came to pick me up. I really wanted to get it into the house and was looking for a way to do it when, finally, an opportunity arrived. The Southeastern Kayaking Championships were being held close by by the big kayaking club where by pals were members. I took my young son with me to watch. While he and I were in the kayak shop on the river I saw a large glass jar on a counter saying "Win a kayak! One dollar." I pulled out a dollar and put it in the jar with my son watching. A week later a letter arrived at our house on the kayak club stationery saying I had won the kayak (one of my pals was the club secretary) and I danced around the house in joy. I then drove over to my friend;s house and retrieved my kayak. Later on, the divorce was very expensive. :(

Planeman

the wife still doesn't know about the KTM 250 motocrosser i bought last year she still thinks its her brothers when i race it :p
what she doesn't know won't hurt her:rolleyes:

scotplant
03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
I second the Yahoo V10 group. Which side of 1k ? LH buttons are forward or reverse low speed, red off, when running double button controls high speed and RH button is for millhead (if fitted) power. These are on the box fitted to the headstock. If you have a separate heavy box, it sounds like you have a 3phase machine connected to a phase converter. Pictures would help.

Change wheels are for opposite threads to machine. ie. if you have a metric machine, change wheels are for cutting imperial threads and vicky verky.

Regards Ian
i'll post some pictures when i can then you can tell me which side of 1k i should have paid ;)
honestly though i paid no where near that so i hope i have a bargain as i already have a miil and a lathe that i haven't finished doing up yet!! and have spent enough already... but could not let this oppertunity pass me bye :D ,as there was lots of tooling which would have cost me a lot on ebay with postage ETC..

Circlip
04-01-2012, 04:35 AM
If you paid less than 1k, you should be riding a black horse and wearing a mask.

Ps., be VERY careful riding past York.:D

Regards Ian.