PDA

View Full Version : The racing world loss:

sasquatch
03-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Just read on a couple of drag racing sites that Legend "Bill Grumpy Jenkins" has passed away.

A great loss of a real inovator, and many time National Record Holder.

justanengineer
03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
A very sad day indeed. Good-bye Grump.

sasquatch
03-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Not 100% sure but believe he would have been in his 80th year?

He had to be building winning race engines for 50 years.

Quite an interesting article i read about him when he was driving for Chrysler a long time ago and had a dissagreement with them, switched over to an independant and went on his own, and started beating the Hemis with the GM small block.

One of the true "Guru's" of getting HP out of Chevrolet engines.

flylo
03-29-2012, 09:48 PM
A genius at what he loved. RIP.

LKeithR
03-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Sad to hear, and somewhat of a strange coincidence. My brother and I were really into motorsport in our earlier years and we have a very large collection of old magazines in the "reading room" at the shop. Today's assignment was an article which dealt with the rivalry between "Grumpy" and "Dandy" Dick Landy.

I don't follow drag racing anymore. Are there any "characters" involved today like there used to be in the 60s and 70s? What little I see of drag racing today seems to be all too polished and structured--no room for real characters...

sasquatch
03-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Agreed Keith, today there are so many R&D companies that are producing some well researched engine improvements, that money can buy , not like the old days were a serious thinker with a small budget could win by using his own smarts.

I,m sure there are still smart thinkers around , but not like there was years ago.

Now the computor age has produced results on flow benches etc that just weren't available in those times past.

Jenkins was a very interesting guy, calculating things that others hadn't thought of like even weighing paint colours to use on his cars , he had to be a deep thinker and most likely a 24 hour day was consumed with a part of his brain in a continual thinking mode .

Thruthefence
03-30-2012, 09:20 AM
I remember reading (back in the Pleistocene) that he contrived a system to torque up a water tight plate of some sort to the block, and run heated water through it while the finish hone was being done. This way the block was seeing the same distortion it would see if the head was installed. And on track day, the racecar's cooling system was plumbed to the car carrier's engine so it was always at operating temperature.

Outside the box thinking, and attention to detail.

I was always a Ford guy in those days, but you gotta love his results.

RIP

chevy3755
03-30-2012, 10:19 AM
happy trails Grump.......