PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Operators Needed.... In Juarez

Carl
02-21-2004, 06:38 PM
http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/news/stories/20040218/localnews/431720.html

Mike W
02-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Gee......I always wanted to live in a foreign country....not.

Paul Gauthier
02-21-2004, 06:50 PM
The company I work for opened a plant in Mexico and have had nothing but trouble there. I love it.

------------------
Paul G.

JCHannum
02-21-2004, 09:47 PM
Similar articles appear weekly in newspapers here. (Toledo, Ohio) Many only involve 20 or 30 employees, so they are not noticed. It is this slow drain of employment that is the most troubling.
A large manufacturer goes out with the loss of a few hundred jobs, and there is a great outcry. In the meantime many many more small shops are closing with the unnoticed loss of thousands of jobs.
Whirlpool however recently returned some work from Mexico to the Clyde, Ohio plant due to manufacturing problems. This is a good sign, but you can bet that any replacement workforce will be hired at entry level wages.

ACF
02-21-2004, 11:10 PM
JC,

I agree 100%. The new workers will be hired at entry level wages. Just wonder if that wasn't the Whirlpool plan all along, to get rid of the higher wage jobs, and still manufacture in the USA.

Chris

Evan
02-22-2004, 05:35 AM
Then again, my PT Cruiser was made in Mexico and it is the best new car I have ever had, out of 15 or so.

Weston Bye
02-22-2004, 08:35 AM
I agree with Evan, I am most satisfied with my PT. I bet they wern't engineered in Mexico.

JCHannum
02-22-2004, 09:04 AM
PT Cruiser, made by Daimler Chrysler, a former American company bought out by a German company, made in Mexico.
Wonder why the economy is going down the tubes?

J Tiers
02-22-2004, 12:23 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JCHannum:
PT Cruiser, made by Daimler Chrysler, a former American company bought out by a German company, made in Mexico.
Wonder why the economy is going down the tubes?</font>

I drive a Chevrolet 2000 S10 Xcab 2wd pickup. It was made in New Jersey, and engineered here.

Let me describe this quality US made vehicle.

I have had over $1200 worth of warranty claims on it for various problems due to poor assembly. Everything from water leaks when it rains, to rear end bearings destroying themselves due to wrong assembly.

There still is an unaddressed major safety fault with it:

The ABS, which is advertised to keep re-trying to apply the brakes during a skid, does not do that.

What it actually does is shut off the brakes if it detects what it thinks is a skid, for what is apparently a timed 1.5 seconds. During this time there are no brakes.

Not only that, but if you hit a small pothole while stopping, it triggers, shutting off the brakes for 1.5 seconds while you roll free.

I have several times rolled into traffic in intersections due to this.

The dealer, and General Motors, say this is entirely normal and natural. GM resists repairing it, and the dealer says he cannot by law do anything about it if it does not "throw a code".

My options are to drive it until I get in an accident, and then sue GM, or to park it and mark it off as a bad purchase.

Oh, yeah, it also has "fits" during which the 4cyl engine gets 12 or 15mpg, instead of the normal 25. They are forbidden to fix that, too, saying there isn't a gas mileage guarantee, and it didn't "throw a code".

If all that wasn't enough, the ABS is going to fail. Apparently they all do eventually, when an under-rated MosFet in the controller dies, leaving the ABS in "triggered" mode continuously. Since they don't fail until warranty is over, that will cost me $700 or so.

Maybe if the truck were engineered in India and built in Shenzen it would work correctly. The folks here obviously couldn't get it right.

With quality like that, manufacturing probably SHOULD go someplace where people actually try to get it right. Somewhere that people are still happy to have a job and do good work.

I don't like manufacturing going elsewhere either, but this is just the sort of reason it does. People were paid almost $25 per hour, or slightly more with benefits, to screw up assembly of that differential, and fail to seal the cab. Probably others were paid substantially more to design a defective ABS.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 02-22-2004).]

Cass
02-22-2004, 03:58 PM
I talked with a guy who was moving a lot of stamping presses and support equipment into a building near Dallas. I thought the building might be for lease as a warehouse and I had some interest in that. He said they were moving from New Jersey. He further said the company was founded in New Jersey and the management had a big problem moving out because of family connections of both management and the work force. He said they had to move because of the union they had not being willing to change work rules to allow more flexibilty. He said the labor rate they were paying was a lot higher than in Texas and there was no union problem since Texas is a so called "right to work" state and they would have no union here. He said they had extensive negotiations with the union and that the union was real hard nosed and didn't believe they would shut down and move. This was just a casual conversation as we watched forklifts moving stuff off trucks. He seemed pretty sad about moving from New Jersey but excited about "good people really ready to work". He said it was a hard decision but he figured the company had to move or shut down as costs were just too high in New Jersey because of high union labor. That happened about 10 years ago. They moved to a bigger building a few years ago and seem to be doing ok.