PDA

View Full Version : Almost o/t.

David Powell
04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I was brought up in a world where working on Sundays was regarded as sinful unless absolutely essential work was being done. and most folk went to church on Sundays. The world seems to have generally moved on, here, in Ontario, shops and many businesses open on Sundays.After a lapse of many years about 5 years ago I started going to church again, initially just to keep my wife company, but i have found that attending has changed my outlook a little.I have slowly stopped doing much work in my shop on Sundays, though I do go in and tidy up and clean round to get it all tidy and clean for a fresh start on Mondays. I wonder , how do others reconcile their beliefs with the desire to get in the shop and get on with the work which is ( Sometimes!!) waiting and the projects which are always pending. Regards David Powell.

TGTool
04-01-2012, 10:06 PM
I have something of the same dilemma. While I can intellectually challenge those rules from childhood and the rationale, I find I still think I should wait till Monday to mow the grass, that I should dress better on Sunday and generally that is should somehow be different.

flylo
04-01-2012, 10:08 PM
I can't quote the verse but the good book says that the Sabboth was made for man. I believe to rest & enjoy family.worship,reflect,etc. If it gives you peace to tidy up, catch up, IMHO I see no harm. And I'm not going to get in the arguement about what day is the Sabboth. Today I took my oldest son & his wife to lunch along with my wife. I'm going to be a Grandpa! :D :D :D
Then I went & picked up a truck crane while the rest went to the movies.

cameron
04-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Aside from any religious connection, I think that the seven day week is in sync with one of the natural rhythms that most people follow. It's a healthy thing to break the work period with a day of rest, contemplation and change of routine.

Dave Cameron

justanengineer
04-01-2012, 11:17 PM
I would dare say this isnt "almost ot," this is so far off topic as to be borderline instantaneous locked thread ...nothing works folks up more than discussion of politics and religion. Not complaining, just saying that this probably isnt a good place to discuss this topic. Do not be surprised if it gets shut down rather quickly.

That being said, remember that everything that has been written, said, or taught about religion has been done so by man. Attending church does not make you any better of a person than someone who rarely attends, nor does giving up an entire day, and thinking there is something you "must" do (other than be a "good" person and revere the holy) IMHO simply makes you a hypocrite.

Yes, I would say I am more religious than most. Yes, I do attend regularly. No, I do not give up an entire day. Relaxation and family time for me typically equals time in the shop or working around the house or yard, and I believe that is the essence of what various religions preach regarding a holy day - religion, family, and personal relaxation/reflection.

wtrueman
04-02-2012, 12:36 AM
First off, I do not attend at any thing you could call regular. However, I am on first person names with the local priests and friends. I use my sundays as I did when I was a kid; refleck, enjoy, relax. I help out when requested at the church(es). My point is: I believe, but I also believe I can serve like the proverbial carpenter(sp?). Do what you can to help others, when necessary. MY shop is my sanctuary, Wayne.

darryl
04-02-2012, 03:31 AM
I find that working Sunday probably means that you also worked Saturday, which in turn probably means that you aren't getting a day off that week. That's not really healthy. In my mind, there isn't any particular day of the week that you must take off- more to the point is that you should be having some time off on a fairly regular basis. Doesn't have to be Sunday, but it should be a time when you can be with family. Feeling guilty about working on a Sunday to me is irrational. If you feel guilty, it should be because you aren't spending enough time with family, or taking some time out for yourself. Even if you are doing your own thing in your own shop, you need to take time away from it.

If you're already getting this kind of variety throughout the week, then I see no reason why you shouldn't work on a Sunday if it works for you.

Andrew_D
04-02-2012, 05:17 AM
While I don't regularly attend church, we do try to have Sunday be a "family day" when possible. The major exceptions are when the weather is co-operative in seeding, spraying and harvest - if we can make dust, we do! Usually with my oldest boy riding in the second seat in the combine!

Andrew

Your Old Dog
04-02-2012, 07:26 AM
I would dare say this isnt "almost ot," this is so far off topic as to be borderline instantaneous locked thread ...nothing works folks up more than discussion of politics and religion. Not complaining, just saying that this probably isnt a good place to discuss this topic. Do not be surprised if it gets shut down rather quickly.

That being said, remember that everything that has been written, said, or taught about religion has been done so by man. Attending church does not make you any better of a person than someone who rarely attends, nor does giving up an entire day, and thinking there is something you "must" do (other than be a "good" person and revere the holy) IMHO simply makes you a hypocrite.

Yes, I would say I am more religious than most. Yes, I do attend regularly. No, I do not give up an entire day. Relaxation and family time for me typically equals time in the shop or working around the house or yard, and I believe that is the essence of what various religions preach regarding a holy day - religion, family, and personal relaxation/reflection.

As I see it, until your post and since your post all is fine with this thread. Looks like a civil conversation to me with people of a like mindset. If non-believers are reading they are being polite and staying out of a discussion that holds no interest to them.

As for myself I am a believer but don't spend much time on soap boxes. I will say that I miss the notion that Sunday was always a special time in our home. Mom and I went to church and when we got home we always piled into the car and went out to see my grandparents. Frequently there was one more stop on the way home to visit a relative whose rotation had turned up on dad's mental list. Sunday was also a day for the Lake in the summer. Now it seems Sunday is just a day for Home Depot or Loews to do things you just couldn't possibly manage to get done the other 6 days/near 24hrs of the week. Were I a child again I think I'd prefer granddads to Lowes.

John Stevenson
04-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Thank God I'm an agnostic...........................

oldtiffie
04-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I am an agnostic atheist - if I had to hang a tag on me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

I can and will do just as I like within reason 24/7.

The sooner this thread is closed the better.

beanbag
04-02-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't think this has to do with religion, but sometimes I think a day where I don't do any work on purpose might be a good idea.

sasquatch
04-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Hmmmmmmm,, From reading Flylo's post, (the third one down),, it sounds like he has two wives!!:eek: :eek:

Anyway, if something has to be done don't matter to me what it is or what day either.

Religion ?? I'm not impressed,, Yup went to church quite awhile ago, but it has created more wars, famines and horrible suffering than anything else i can think of!!

NO ONE is a lesser person because they do not go to church, or wether they work on a sunday, etc. I have worked Thousands of sundays,, BUT,, if i get wore out, i then just simply take a day or two off on other days!!

Lew Hartswick
04-02-2012, 08:40 AM
John does that qualify as an "Oxymoron" ??? :-)
...lew...

oldtiffie
04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
On any Sunday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whjviUck9G0

Gavin
04-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm a dyslexic agnostic - but I do sometimes wonder if there really is a dog.

flylo
04-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Hmmmmmmm,, From reading Flylo's post, (the third one down),, it sounds like he has two wives!!:eek: :eek:

Anyway, if something has to be done don't matter to me what it is or what day either.

Religion ?? I'm not impressed,, Yup went to church quite awhile ago, but it has created more wars, famines and horrible suffering than anything else i can think of!!

NO ONE is a lesser person because they do not go to church, or wether they work on a sunday, etc. I have worked Thousands of sundays,, BUT,, if i get wore out, i then just simply take a day or two off on other days!!

You guys know my motto. if one is good 10 is better. But 1 wife is plenty & all I want. Believe you me!

rmuell01
04-02-2012, 10:01 AM

I don't believe you.

oldtiffie
04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
He might be - and who are we to doubt him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic

vincemulhollon
04-02-2012, 10:16 AM
I was brought up in a world where working on Sundays was regarded as sinful unless absolutely essential work was being done.

So, I'm guessing you wouldn't want to work my hours, which are 4 tens Sunday thru Wednesday giving me a 3 day weekend every week. Well, different strokes for different folks, and a good definition of civilization is people being able to agree to disagree, so have a pleasant day and happy machining!

rmuell01
04-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't believe you.

oldtiffie.............

it's a joke!

lenord
04-02-2012, 12:32 PM
I am of the opinion that you hold Sunday Holy......not necessarily "no work" There are all kinds of "work" that can get your brain spinning...getting the kid ready for church, driving to Church etc. etc. If you hold the day holy, you are fine...

The non-religion side is that everyone needs a day to rest. If everyone else is doing that on Sunday, then take Sunday off and socialize, see family, whatever. You will work better/more Monday through Saturday if you have a day to relax and unwind. IMO, humans are not made to work 365 days a year.

FWIW
Lenord

gnm109
04-02-2012, 01:15 PM

Yes, that's certainly lucky for you. Say, while I have you here, I was wondering...what exactly does an athiest exclaim when he hits his thumb full on with a large hammer?

Hopefuldave
04-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Say, while I have you here, I was wondering...what exactly does an athiest exclaim when he hits his thumb full on with a large hammer?

Speaking from experience...

"MY.... how unfortunate"

The kids know when I've done something *seriously* painful / really injured myself, because I stop swearing and go all quiet...

Mind you, there are no atheists in the bedroom, in my experience...

Dave H. (the other one)

Weston Bye
04-02-2012, 01:52 PM
...what exactly does an athiest exclaim when he hits his thumb full on with a large hammer?

Ouch?.....

MichaelP
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Yes, that's certainly lucky for you. Say, while I have you here, I was wondering...what exactly does an athiest exclaim when he hits his thumb full on with a large hammer?
The same as a believer: something that starts with "f".

aostling
04-02-2012, 02:35 PM
I am of the opinion that you hold Sunday Holy..

Which is why the PGA has scheduled The Masters tournament for this coming Easter Sunday.

Evan
04-02-2012, 03:16 PM
I believe the Universe is God. I wonder what day it is on Gliese 667 Cc?

Mcgyver
04-02-2012, 04:41 PM
I will say that I miss the notion that Sunday was always a special time in our home. Mom and I went to church and when we got home we always piled into the car and went out to see my grandparents. Frequently there was one more stop on the way home to visit a relative whose rotation had turned up on dad's mental list. Sunday was also a day for the Lake in the summer. Now it seems Sunday is just a day for Home Depot or Loews to do things you just couldn't possibly manage to get done the other 6 days/near 24hrs of the week. Were I a child again I think I'd prefer granddads to Lowes.

good post YOD. imo its a cultural change, as you point out not necessarily for the better. Everyone insisted on Sunday shopping and we hit the slippery slope. Another generation earlier and it was too strict to be an enjoyable day. As its recounted to me no games, no fun, just long faces.

Since my shop is fun, what i like to do, and my vocation isn't physical labour, I have little trouble seeing my shop time as day or period of rest from my toil. just how I chose my R&R.

RussZHC
04-02-2012, 04:50 PM
This may become a little rambling...

can't help but wonder if the "not working Sunday" has changed with various bouts of higher percentage longer term unemployment i.e. if you have not worked for awhile, just working can be important and one could tend to look less at the precise day of the week you work or get off; I am off work Wednesdays and Saturdays (the Sat/Sun two days in a row was more the issue than any particular day of the week)

also have wondered a long time about "work"...if you go anywhere or do anything on a given day, someone is working or do "you" not consider those at gas stations, supermarkets, golf courses, green houses to be working? I know where I am working it becomes a discussion about full time employees and part time employees.

For me it has been a bit of an interesting "transition" less and less attendance at a building called "church" while during roughly the same passage of years observing store hours changing (small towns locally as example used to nearly shut down each day at noon, town siren, so everyone got lunch about the same time), no Sunday shopping at all to "essentials" then since at one time essentials was defined at bread/milk, it made sense to have grocery stores open completely, to now every type of store being open (though few if any banks and certainly no government offices though some public libraries have always been open Sundays) but with restricted hours (there have been a few heavy fines quite recently). I too question if we need sales 24/7/365 but as we seemed to have moved away from Sunday closures, what day?

I also ponder if three nearly parallel situations are related: the decline, you know "its not the way we used to do it", "nothing is like it used to be", the changing status of what is open on Sundays and the shift to fewer being directly employed with agrarian work [my assumption being a smaller percentage of the population is directly farming than say 25 or 50 or 75 years ago]

Arcane
04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
.......Mind you, there are no atheists in the bedroom, in my experience...
That reminds me of a Little Johnny joke...

On this particular day, the teacher wanted to ask her class which part of the body went to heaven first.

One little girl raised her hand and said, "I think your mind goes to heaven first because you have to have a mind in order to believe in God."

The teacher praises the little girl.

Then a little boy raises his hand and says, "I think your heart goes to heaven first because God is all about love."

"Very good," said the teacher. The teacher looked up and saw Little Johnny's hand up. "Oh no", she thought, "I'm not gonna like this. Little Johnny, which part of the body do you think goes to heaven first?"

Little Johnny says, "Your feet!"

The teacher asked him why he thought your feet go to heaven first.

He replied, "Well, I was walking past my parent's bedroom last night and my mom was laying on their bed and she had her legs up in the air and the bottoms of her feet were pointing at the ceiling and she was saying , 'Oh god, I'm coming! I'm coming!' If dad hadn't been lying on top of her holding her down, she would have been a goner for sure!"

John Stevenson
04-02-2012, 04:52 PM
John does that qualify as an "Oxymoron" ??? :-)
...lew...

No an Oxymoron is an idiot spot welder.................

rohart
04-02-2012, 05:33 PM
All day Saturday I 'believe' I'm going to fix my car by the end of the day. Then all day Sunday I bicycle around 'believing' I'm going to find a parts place that's open so I can really fix it ready for Monday.

I just wish Sunday and Saturday were swapped around. No one asked the non-believers what they wanted.

When I'm trying to listen to cricket on the radio, there are three things they cut it off for over here. The shipping forecast, parliamentary report and the daily service. Yhe shipping forecast, I can accept. As for the other two... Stroll on.

David Powell
04-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Thankyou for your thoughts and comments. i was beginning to worry that I was moving completely away from my " normal" behaviour( that is tied in the shop at all hours every possible moment) and that my change in attitude towards working on Sundays was perhaps a symptom that I was suffering from some form of " religious overzealousness". Obviously, many share my reawakened general feelings about Sundays, to some degree or other. I intend to continue on the path I have chosen, and take Sundays as at least " quiet and easy days" whenever possible and reasonable. regards David Powell.