PDA

View Full Version : abs plastic glue

plunger
04-03-2012, 01:28 AM
I have been asked to install a shower trap which is imported. It states on the box that it is abs plastic. All our traps are either pvc or brass. Will normal pvc glue work to weld pvc to abs?

Evan
04-03-2012, 02:25 AM
No. You need a special combination glue designed for that purpose.

darryl
04-03-2012, 02:38 AM
Something called PVC/ABS transition cement.

PixMan
04-03-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm looking for the same thing, some way of "welding" some ABS plastic together. In this case, it's body panel pieces for a motorcycle that I'm giving to my youngest son and it needs some crash repair. No, it wasn't me who crashed it, I bought it this way for $500.

RancherBill
04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
As has been mentioned you need special cement (http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/166/ABS_to_PVC_Transition_Green_Cement.html).

You prime both pieces with primer and then use the cement.

Seastar
04-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Pixman
There are dedicated ABS glues. Go to 3M website.
We use acetone to "weld" ABS in our company.
Works very well.
Bill

ikdor
04-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure, but maybe MEK could be used to bond the two. It certainly works for the ABS part.

At least it's not PP. A coin just blew a hole in my washing machine outer drum (PP) this weekend.....:mad:

Igor

Duffy
04-03-2012, 04:23 PM
ABS cement is as common as dirt here, since we use a LOT of ABS sanitary drainage pipe in houses. I expect that you are not so fortunate and will have to find a substitute. The main ingredient in ABS cement is, I believe, methyl ethyl ketone, (MEK,) but other stuff is added to thicken it and reduce the evaporation rate.
If you can find a bit of ABS, shave it up and dissolve it in MEK until you have a thick "solvent cement." It will certainly do the job, since a) it is not a pressure fitting, and b) gravity is on your side.
If you are trying to glue this fitting to a PVC pipe, all bets are off. THAT is when I would switch to epoxy. It will work.

lynnl
04-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Anybody know if ABS is the stuff used for John Deere lawn mower hoods?

I need something to glue some cracks in one.

GKman
04-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Our local plumbing code didn't allow mixing ABS with PVC (although I've see a lot of it done successfully with cement labeled for both. If it was to be inspected plumbers would use a rubber coupling. Manufactured by Fernco, it's a short heavy rubber hose with two stainless band clamps. Easy, cheap, works good and can be dis-assembled later.

Evan
04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Identify the plastic with this chart then use the proper glue.

Print this on 14 inch paper or "legal" size and it will be readable.

http://ixian.ca/pics9/plasticid.png

fredf
04-03-2012, 06:58 PM
AFAIK the two plastics have different expansion rates and something will give if you try gluing them. The rubber coupling is the answer

Clevelander
04-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Your life needs to be too complicated on this item. If I'm not mistaken (which I may be) I thought I saw a cement at the Home Depot that was supposed to be "universal". It may be worth a look or a call.

Duffy
04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Guys, I think A LOT of us are "thinking at home." Durban, South africa does not have Home Depot, Lowes, Harbour Freight, or Ace Hardware!

browne92
04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
It definitely helps to know which plastic you are working with. I was gluing down some AAA battery holders with 5 minute epoxy and they popped right off. RTV silicon worked a little better, but not permanent. Found out they were made of polypropelene. Got some stuff from the 3M store made just for polypropelene. Works great.

Rosco-P
04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Our local plumbing code didn't allow mixing ABS with PVC (although I've see a lot of it done successfully with cement labeled for both. If it was to be inspected plumbers would use a rubber coupling. Manufactured by Fernco, it's a short heavy rubber hose with two stainless band clamps. Easy, cheap, works good and can be dis-assembled later.

As suggested use a product from: http://www.fernco.com/ Better than hoping the glue joint doesn't fail sometime later.

Fasttrack
04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Oatey's "green" cement is designed specifically for this purpose and was referenced in RancherBill's post. It works great and is readily available. Just about any hardware store carries it now.

A rubber coupler may also work but it may not fit due to the geometry of the existing plumbing.

Let's not over think this ... you are joining a non-pressure waste line in a house. The green cement will work perfectly.

Evan
04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Is it available in Durban, South Africa?

Fasttrack
04-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Is it available in Durban, South Africa?

Are Fernco rubber couplers available in Durban, South Africa?

Edit: FWIW, Durban is a very large city. It seems that there is a misconception that, because it's in South Africa, they must not have access to anything "modern". This is not the case ... A google search turns up a number of plumbing supply houses in Durban and I have to believe that they carry the proper cement for the job. This stuff isn't new or particularly special ...

Rosco-P
04-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Are Fernco rubber couplers available in Durban, South Africa?

Edit: FWIW, Durban is a very large city. It seems that there is a misconception that, because it's in South Africa, they must not have access to anything "modern". This is not the case ... A google search turns up a number of plumbing supply houses in Durban and I have to believe that they carry the proper cement for the job. This stuff isn't new or particularly special ...

Don't know. But I did search the Fernco website for international distributors. None that I could find, but that doesn't mean they don't distribute beyond US borders.
Oatey does have a wholesale distributor in Brasil, S.A.

Fasttrack
04-04-2012, 02:51 PM
By the way, GKMan is right that joints between different plastics is not allowed under residential plumbing codes, but the general consensus among all the inspectors and plumbers I've talked to is that the joint will be just fine.

Fernco makes some great products, too. Sometimes finding the right size rubber coupler at a local store can be hard, though. I ended up having to special order a couple for my house through a plumbing supply house.