PDA

View Full Version : Canon 60Da tuned for astrophotography

aostling
04-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Canon must have Evan in mind, with the launch of this new DSLR with increased hydrogen-alpha sensitivity, perfect for photographing nebulae.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/04/03/Canon-EOS-60Da-for-astrophotography

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/Screenshot2012-04-03at80304AM.png

Black Forest
04-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Maybe I should buy one of those for my wife!!!!!!

Or should I say SIL?

Evan
04-03-2012, 05:05 PM
The Canon Rebel 350D could be special ordered without the IR cut filter. It can also be removed of course. I was going to do that until I ran into a major problem.

There is an issue with the older Canon cameras with Win7-64. As far as I know none of the Canon SLRs support Mass Storage Device mode. This is a real downside because the interface software for the earlier models such as the 300D and the 350D will not run on Windows 7-64. Apparently Canon has no plan to write a 64 bit driver. Without Mass Storage mode there is no way to download images during an observing session. That is critical and without that ability the cameras are useless for remote observing and photography.

That means I cannot use my older Canon SLRs with my Win7 computer. I do not want to have another computer set up with XP for the sole purpose of talking to the cameras. My main computer is in the living room and that is where I do my photography. There is enough of my junk in here already. I have tried the so called VM XP mode and it is less than useless.

aostling
04-04-2012, 12:12 AM
As far as I know none of the Canon SLRs support Mass Storage Device mode.

So what's this new 60Da camera good for? I'm wondering.

Evan
04-04-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm sure it works just fine as does my 1000D. It comes with excellent remote control software that basically replicates all the on camera controls including setup screens. The only problem is that you must use the Canon software to download images via USB cable from the camera. It will not show up as a drive letter. I cannot think of any good reason for this.

macona
04-04-2012, 05:47 AM
So what's this new 60Da camera good for? I'm wondering.

The filter that cuts the IR and the anti-aliasing filter has been removed to give more sensitivity to the red end of the spectrum, it is mainly for people who are after the hydrogen alpha line (Ha). The camera also comes with a electronic timer module.

You use filters specific to certain wavelengths of ionized atoms and compile those into a single image later on. The most popular are Sulfur II @ 672.4nm (Red), Oxygen III at 500.7nm (Blue-green) and Ha 656.3nm (red). The filters are quite expensive even for the cheap ones. As you get higher quality, the bandwidth narrows down and the price goes up.

You can use the camera normally if you use an add on IR-cut filter either in front or behind the lens. Astronomik makes a variety of filters that snap in place behind the lens for the EOS cameras: http://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter-system.html

Evan, why do you need to have a connection to the computer while shooting? Just set an interval timer for the camera.

Im getting my system ready so I can take it out in the field. I am putting a battery pack together for it using 16 50AH LiFePO4 cells to create a 12v, 200AH pack that feeds a 600w true sine inverter for the camera and laptop.

macona
04-04-2012, 05:55 AM
I'm sure it works just fine as does my 1000D. It comes with excellent remote control software that basically replicates all the on camera controls including setup screens. The only problem is that you must use the Canon software to download images via USB cable from the camera. It will not show up as a drive letter. I cannot think of any good reason for this.

I just hooked my 60D to my win 7 pc and it pops up in My Computer as a camera. Double click it an you see the SD card and all the directories and files. Drag the files from there if you want.

CountZero
04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Evan, have you tried running XP using VMware or virtualbox? I have used VMware to talk to USB devices using XP under Linux with good results.

kendall
04-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Evan, have you tried running XP using VMware or virtualbox? I have used VMware to talk to USB devices using XP under Linux with good results.

I was going to suggest that. Microsofts VPC was seriously downgraded when reincarnated as XP mode.

Download VPC 2007 and try that.

Virtual box is very good but it doesn't have the very convenient 'drag and drop' feature that VMplayer does.

VMplayer, since they added the ability to easily create machines is a very good option. 'drag and drop' from host to guest and back is real handy.
My only complaint is the extra services it leaves running all the time. Though possibly you could set it up on a dedicated user account and avoid running them on your main.

Evan
04-04-2012, 12:56 PM
I just hooked my 60D to my win 7 pc and it pops up in My Computer as a camera. Double click it an you see the SD card and all the directories and files. Drag the files from there if you want.

It still needs the correct driver. There is no driver for the 300D or 350D. They do not work with Win7-64 although they will work with Win7-32. My 1000D works fine, that isn't the problem. I want to convert one of the old cameras to IR.

I need to see what is going on so I can fine tune the pointing of the scope. It's outside and I am not.

I haven't tried VM Ware or others. I should try it but I dislike having to load down the system just so I can download images. I don't understand why Canon hasn't upgraded the drivers. People tend to keep cameras longer than computers.

Barrington
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
It might be worth checking, but I think most Canons SLRs support PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol), which doesn't require a specific camera driver (in XP or later).

If you switch from 'Normal' to 'PTP' in the camera's Communications menu and then connect the USB, a 'program launch' type dialogue will appear from which you can choose the Scanner and Camera Wizard. I don't know what options are available in WIndows 7. but in XP you can choose 'advanced users only' and a normal looking folder window will appear containing the images on the camera.

It's rather like mass storage mode but the context menu is a little different.

Cheers

Evan
04-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Whatever it is it has to work over the network using my network USB server. It's too far away to run on a USB extension so I run it on ethernet with a special 4 port USB server at the scope end. I don't know if PTP will run over that.

Barrington
04-05-2012, 05:02 PM
If you do give it a go, and it works, it would be interesting to know which USB over IP server you're using.

Cheers