PDA

View Full Version : Kept some magic smoke in for a while...I hope!

DICKEYBIRD
04-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I bought a nifty X-axis power feed for my X3 mill from Little M/Shop a few months ago and got up this morning with with no shop commitments for a change and decided to install it.

Fortunately the installation requires removing the electrical guts to install the heavy duty motor & mount plate. When I got it apart I was amused to see how they mounted the speed controller board.

They split a piece of big heat shrink tubing and flattened it out to make an insulator to go between the soldered pins/sticky-outy side of the board and the steel side of the enclosure. It was bad enough that they chose heatshrink material to go into a potentially hot environment but the killer was that the board was screwed down with fiber washers between the board and the "insulator" and the washers were so thin that the board was bent down at the corners, pressing the sharp ends of the component wire stubs straight into the heatshrink material.:eek:

There were 3 deep pinholes into the insulator...not all the way through but well on their way to poking all the way through and shorting out. I whipped up some plastic stand-off tubes with longer screws that solved the problem.

It works great now and should continue to do so...I hope. I'm going to send LMS an email to inform them of the potential hazard. They're a good company and I'm not angry about it. You just have to check Chinese gear and look around for the stupid stuff before you use it.:rolleyes:

lugnut
04-08-2012, 09:50 PM
I have that same drive on my X3 mill. I had to replace the limit switch after a few months but LMS paid or it. Once in a while if you run it for a long time like I was the other day while facing off a 8" aluminum disk with a fly cutter, it trips out and I had to let it cool down a few minutes. After that it works OK. You will find out that if your going to move the table by hand, you need to put the direction lever in neutral.

DICKEYBIRD
04-09-2012, 09:59 AM
You will find out that if your going to move the table by hand, you need to put the direction lever in neutral.Yep, I've seen the threads on the web where one poster went to the trouble of adding a clutch to the end of the leadscrew; another made a removable shim to go at the other other end to move the screw out of engagement with the drive when not in use.

I'm way too lazy to do either. Besides I don't get what all the fuss is about. It adds drag and inertia to turning the handle but not that much.

Man, I sure like using the power feed though. I put it to the test flycutting a block of alum. last night. Should'a done that a LONG time ago!:)

J Tiers
04-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Yah.................

And people wonder why we say chinese quality is so suspect...... claiming it is just race hatred.

NOT