PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you had this problem with your glasses?

SGW
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I wear glasses, as I suspect a lot of you do. For quite a while now I've been getting the lightweight plastic lenses with an anti-scratch coating. A couple of years ago the coating began to bubble and peel off the lenses. <insert bad words here> I assumed it was a defective batch of plastic in some way, the optician replaced the lenses, which were past the warranty period, for 25 bucks, and I thought all was well.

A few months ago the coating on the new lenses began to bubble and peel as well. <insert more bad words here> Since I needed an eye exam anyway, I went to a different doctor and optician. While I was there I explained what was going on. The optician asked me if I worked with any solvents, especially acetone. I immediately thought of spray painting, which puts a mist of paint and solvents into the air. Since even the fumes are supposed to be enough to cause a problem, spray painting seemed to be a very likely culprit.

I don't know for sure, of course, but I think I'll take precautions the next time I use a spray can.

Have any of you experienced anything similar?

Optics Curmudgeon
04-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I used to clean my glasses with Windex, worked great until i got coated plastic lenses. Then I had the sort of problems you're having. Switched to straight alcohol wipes (I like the Flents brand) and no trouble since.

fredf
04-08-2012, 10:59 PM
I used to clean my glasses with Windex, worked great until i got coated plastic lenses. Then I had the sort of problems you're having. Switched to straight alcohol wipes (I like the Flents brand) and no trouble since.

I think I read (maybe a post from Evan?) that isopropyl is a no no on polycarbonate (lexan) so if safety glasses you may be causing problems

Astronowanabe
04-08-2012, 11:25 PM
99% isopropyl will remove the AR coatings from lenses, it may need a scratch or flake to get under the coating to begin with, but then it is all over.

Optics Curmudgeon
04-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Ssssh! They'll hear you, and after putting up with it for 5 years the coating will disappear.

jimsehr
04-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Check Zinni optical online . Their glasses are so cheap they are replaceable.

jims

Black Forest
04-09-2012, 01:25 AM
I did the same thing to my plastic progressive lens glasses by cleaning with glass cleaner.

I went to my glasses store and showed them the glasses. I did not know at the time what had caused the problem. They asked how I cleaned my glasses and I told them I used a spray bottle of glass cleaner. Ahhh, they said! You shouldn't do that it will ruin the coatings on the lens. Me I ranted about if that is the case they should have informed me when I bought these 600 dollar lens. They actually replaced the lens for me at no charge and I think it was right of them to do so. After this episode I found out it is a very common problem. In my mind they should tell their customers about the faulty logic of using glass cleaner on glasses.

Alan Smith
04-09-2012, 02:53 AM
Glass cleaner is for cleaning glass, just that. There are cleaning sprays for cleaning coated plastic lenses which would appear to be only a weak solution of detergent in water.

The other big no no with coated lenses is using tissue paper to polish them. Apparently tissue paper is very abrasive and will remove a lens coating in fairly short order. You should use a polishing cloth only.

J Tiers
04-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Never had the solvent issue, but I HAVE had skin oil remove the coating. Started in the area which typically gets some skin oil on it, and progressed.

No, in case you were wondering, I am NOT one of those people who causes rust on steel.

gwilson
04-09-2012, 07:52 AM
I had some plastic lenses by Zeiss years ago. The coating wore right off in a few weeks. I learned from the clown doctor who got the lenses for me not to use alcohol. So,I bought HIS brand of cleaner,and a few weeks later,same thing happened. I got to investigating,and discovered that I could SMELL the ALCOHOL in his own brand of cleaner.

I gave up on him,and got glasses from Costco. I wore them for years with no problem. I was spraying a fair amount of lacquer at that time,too.

SteveF
04-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I have a pair where the coating is flaking off. They sit on the shelf and whenever I need to do something that will get chemical or paint spray, or something else bad for lenses I take off my good glasses and put those on.

Steve

Highpower
04-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I used to have that problem all the time. Then I stopped paying to get the coating because they scratched anyway. Never a problem since. :mad:

A visit to the dentist turned me on to these:

http://www.amazon.com/See-Eyeglass-Cleaning-Anti-fog-Anti-Static/dp/B004YTYTFK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333981292&sr=8-3

After all the years of fighting flaking, smeared, fogged and oily plastic lenses, all it took was one root canal to find out the secret to spotless, CLEAN and clear eyeglasses. :D

SGW
04-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Highpower, I think you may have the answer - don't get the coating! Even if the lenses do get a few scratches they will still be better than lenses with a bubbled and peeled coating.

Any ideas how to remove the coating without harming the lenses? Alcohol? acetone? Glass cleaner? scraper? :D

Highpower
04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Any ideas how to remove the coating without harming the lenses?

Sorry..... above my pay grade. :p :D

adatesman
04-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Just FYI, no need for fancy wipes.... soap&water folliwed by a dry washcloth works just dandy and won't hurt the lenses or coatings. Been cleaning mine that way at least once a day for years.

MichaelP
04-09-2012, 12:38 PM
This is a problem that haunted me for years. And no, I don't use acetone all day long, and I don't use Windex to clean my glasses. Mostly, water or lense cleaners.

Long ago I understood that the first thing that gets scratched and comes off was the anti-glare coating, so I started requesting uncoated lenses. My prescription lenses are quite costly (about $500 a pair), yet I have to replace them every 2-2.5 years due to the fact that some coating that is still present there bubbles up and comes off the surface.

One of the possible solution could be glass lenses instead of the plastic POS. I can order them from Canada, but they're three times more expensive in my case (high index glass).

So I still don't see how to resolve the issue with plastic prescription lenses. It would be interesting to discuss it with an experienced and honest professional and get his unbiased opinion. Meanwhile, I don't understand if the problem is due to a poor quality of lenses chosen by my Pearl Vision to make more profit or it's a genuine plastic lense problem. I strongly suspect this is the latter.

IMO, changing glasses every 2-3 years is a bit excessive, but those who sell me the glasses say that 2 years is what's expected and considered to be a norm.

Andrew S. Quinn
04-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I got talked into the plastic lenses,and they lasted about a yr before they were scratched and I saw halo's around every light at night,which is very annoying trying to drive with all the glare.

I just got a new prescription and I told them I wanted glass lenses and not plastic coated. The woman there told me "They will weigh a lot more" and I told her I had been wearing glasses all of my life,and I'll take seeing clearly over a little extra weight!

beckley23
04-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I use only dish soap to clean my plastic lens, and a cotton cloth to dry them. Paper towels will scratch them. Never had the problems above.
Harry

J Tiers
04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
The answer is NOT to avoid the coating....

The answer is to get a GOOD coating.

I have plastic lenses. I got the best hard-coating I could buy. My last pair, that had it on, I got in 2005, and when I just got new glasses last month, the coating was still essentially PERFECT.

I have sprayed paint, wiped the glasses with the tail of my t-shirt if I had to, etc, etc, etc.

NO scratches, NO delamination... I needed new glasses just because the prescription was so old, and the frames (not available anymore) were falling to bits.

The previous coatings were trash..... but the one on those (both pairs) was great... and still is.

They were big semi-"aviator" lenses, too, now I had to buy tiny square ones because that is all anyone has. I HATE the tiny lenses with the 0.5 x 0.75 focus area at 18"..... it's STUPID.

But the coating is tough.

chipmaker4130
04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
The answer is NOT to avoid the coating....

The answer is to get a GOOD coating.

I agree. I've had no problems, and I'm generally pretty hard on lenses. My Optitian says the new, better coatings are "infused" into the plastic and cannot peel or bubble. I do pay a premium for them though.

bob_s
04-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Don't bother with plastic lenses!

Safety glass lenses only, with insurance, d**n the cost, eyes are much more expensive to replace.

KyMike
04-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Personally I doubt if there actually is such a thing as scratch resistant plastic lenses. I got talked into trying plastic twice and even with the coating they seemed as soft as butter, although I never ran into any trouble with the coating peeling off. Its glass from now on for me.

Mike

J Tiers
04-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Don't bother with plastic lenses!

Safety glass lenses only, with insurance, d**n the cost, eyes are much more expensive to replace.

How extremely odd that someone would say this.................

"Safety glass" will break, and it shatters into little cubes, that are propelled into your eye, shredding it.

Polycarbonate plastic safety lenses will often take a shot from a 22 cal pistol without shattering, let alone a "normal impact'. Try that with a glass lens.....

Even if the plastic lens comes out of the frame, there is at least a chance that the lens will land on your eyesocket and save the eye.

With the glass, you may trade a glass lens for a glass eye.

H380
04-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Do NOT use paper towels to clean your lenses. I use only KimWipes. We use them on Fiber Optic connectors at work. Paper towels will put microscopic scratches on the lenses that add up over time and become the dreaded haze.

http://www.amazon.com/KIM34155-Kimwipes-Ex-L-Delicate-Wipes/dp/B001429EHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334105888&sr=8-1

J Register
04-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Any ideas how to remove the coating without harming the lenses? Alcohol? acetone? Glass cleaner? scraper? :D

I used Armour Etch to remove the anti-glare coating from mine. I don't know if any damage was done to the UV protection. You probably want to take the lenses out of the frames - I didn't on the first lens and it seems to have damaged the finish a bit.

Standard disclaimers apply...