PDA

View Full Version : Disk Sander Cement

KyMike
04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I recently bought a stationary belt/disk sander at a school shop auction and was wondering what type of cement or glue is used to hold the sanding disk to the backing plate and where can it be bought? There are traces of some sort of yellow-colored stuff on the disk that came with it.

Mike

DFMiller
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Contact cement???
Dave

black powder
04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
I buy a Disk Cement from the local body shop supply house I think it is a 3M product It will allow you to change 1or2 disks without reapplying the glue .

fixerup
04-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I use a 3M Feathering disc adhesive type II part#08051, it not bad, but I preferred the hot melt glue we use to have.It is not the typical glue stick we have now, these had a gummy feel to it. It would just require to heat up the old disc with a hot gun and remove the old disc, install the new one while the glue was still hot. Worked like a charm. Every now and then re-apply a little bit of glue and you were done.
Don't know the manufacturer or brand name it was just a plastic stick we had in the shop.
I did a web searched and called local supply stores,which never heard of this.
Cheers!
Phil

dvo
04-10-2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.freemansupply.com/FreemanLatexDiscCe.htm

Can't seem to buy it anywhere but from the factory though.

aboard_epsilon
04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
the stuff is just spray contact adhesive ..available in cans everywhere .

in the uk its about 4 a can .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=spray+contact+adhesive&_sacat=0
all the best.markj

edit ...i was thinking of what i used to glue new Velcro onto those rubber pads...the stuff i posted is sort of permanent ..so no use

lazlo
04-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I use a 3M Feathering disc adhesive type II part#08051, it not bad

I use the 3M Feathering Disc Adhesive. It stays tacky long enough for several discs. I use a full sheet of square paper on a 9" disc grinder, and cut the excess off -- it's a lot cheaper than 9" disc sheets.

Another, much more expensive alternative is 3M 75 spray adhesive. It's pretty hard to find compared to the mundane 3M spray adhesives, but it's Feathering Disc Adhesive in an aerosol. Something like spray-on Post-It notes :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKQD82/ref=oh_o03_s01_i00_details

Ries
04-10-2012, 02:57 PM
I gave up on that stuff 25 years ago. Its nasty to clean off the disc, like rubber cement mixed with old bubble gum.

Instead, I buy only PSA discs- Pressure Sensitive Adhesive.
They come sticky backed, they stick as well, if not better, than the glued ones do, and they are cost competitive, and come in any grit or paper you want.

I buy direct from Klingspor, but 3M, Norton, and other brands are good as well.
For my metalworking disc sander, I use pretty much exclusively the Klingspor CS411 alumina zirconia woven cloth backed blue discs- they last forever, cut like crazy, and will give a nice fine finish with a relatively coarse disc- I tend to run 50 grit for almost everything on the 12" disc.

KyMike
04-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, that gives me something to go on.

Mike

Chester
04-11-2012, 08:01 AM
My choice has been "Titebond's - Sanding Disc Cement". Got it at Sears years ago. It grabs on really tightly, yet is not that difficult to remove the discs. I applied the cement to only the disc and that arrangement is still going after many, many years.

DR
04-11-2012, 09:17 AM
My choice has been "Titebond's - Sanding Disc Cement". Got it at Sears years ago. It grabs on really tightly, yet is not that difficult to remove the discs. I applied the cement to only the disc and that arrangement is still going after many, many years.
But, it isn't still available is it?

That's the problem for some of us who have quite a number of unused discs for our sanders.

Bob Fisher
04-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Times 2 for PSA discs, haven't used cement in twenty yrs or more. Bob.

Chester
04-11-2012, 05:40 PM
But, it isn't still available is it?

That's the problem for some of us who have quite a number of unused discs for our sanders.

It appears that it might have been discontinued.........my 8Fl. Oz. bottle says "Exp Feb - 94" So, it has been a while.

Good for other stuff too, like joining the ends of door weather stripping on my old Dodge trucks and gluing it on, where help is needed.

This may offer other ideas, if you can excuse the reference.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/adhesive-sanding-discs-214902/

lazlo
04-11-2012, 07:04 PM
This may offer other ideas, if you can excuse the reference.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/adhesive-sanding-discs-214902/

They recommend the same 3M Feathering Disc Adhesive.

jnissen
04-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Ditto on the sticky backed papers. Significantly easier in the long run and no glue to mess with. WHen I'm doing a lot of sanding and finishing work I just have a roll of the papers and peel one off as they wear out. Minimal time lost dorking with the sander head.

wierdscience
04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I've been buying Zircon PSA discs from McMaster.They work great,however I dread changing them.The last one was sucked on so tight by the adhesive I had to tear it off in 1" wide strips with a pair of needle nose pliers,then soak and scrub the glue off with Acetone.

Is there a better way to turn the glue loose?

lazlo
04-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Is there a better way to turn the glue loose?

Heat gun??

wierdscience
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Heat gun??

Tried that,not too good,lots of smoke,fumes etc,I think this crap could hold brake linings on.

DR
04-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Searching for disc adhesive, I've been to both Rockler and Woodcraft stores.

Only one guy of all the clerks I asked had a clue what a disc adhesive is. He suggested a 3M spray on product, even though he'd never used it.

Since then I managed to pick up a couple tubes of 3M featheredge stuff at a garage sale, but have yet to try it.

My used disc sander came with about 50 plain back discs and being a cheap-skate I'm not about to waste them for lack of stickum.

sasquatch
04-12-2012, 07:13 PM
In Canada "Lee Valley " tools sells the PSA discs.

Chester
04-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Scott Bowen (Franklin Int'l) has confirmed that Titebond's Sanding Disc Cement has been discontinued, if anyone was looking for it.