PDA

View Full Version : y'all were right

michaelm
02-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks to all who gave such encouragement when I got the new machine shop. I have been in it now for four months and I am having a great time. The forge/foundry is not finished yet (not a high priority since we have two smithys already) but the woodshop is in and working, albeit in rough form.

I have certainly found much to do! Outside of tramming/tuning/dailing machines, there is much to repair/rebuild.

Most current project is a run of engraver's tables to be used in upcoming classes.

And now a question:

We are making some small hinges for decorative boxes, and would like to machine the leaves to recieve the barrels. The barrels are end-drilled 3/8" rod, and are brazed on the end of the 14 gauge leaves. I would like to make a 1' section of 14g. (3/4" wide strip) that has an 1/8" radius on one edge at 20 degrees. In other words, a 20 dg bevel, the "bevel" being an 1/8" radius.

Any ideas on how to hold a 1'long 3/4" wide strip of 14 g. at 70 dgs for milling? I am all set to make a vise, and would like to know if there is something obvious I am missing....

Michael (who is certainly no machinist, but did finally figure out how to change the cutter in his horizontal mill)

yf
02-22-2004, 11:18 PM
Does it need to be milled?
Won't running it over a belt grinder do?
You can also draw file it.
Sometimes its faster and easier to do something by hand than to set up a machine. Especially if precision is not essential.

These are decorative hinges, right?

michaelm
02-23-2004, 12:49 AM
yf,

Nope plain ol' hinges. Check out my site at http://www.hammerinhand.com It will explain more than I can.

Draw filing would leave a flat, that is how I am making them now. Belt sander would be the same. The intention is to get them fitted, thus the radius.

I have made several floats, and thought about just making a 1/8" curved one, but then I bought this machine shop and etc...

LES A W HARRIS
02-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Stand it up in the vise, sandwiched between two 12" pieces of heavier stock to beef it up, if you have a six inch vise you will have 3.00" overhang each side. Pick up the high side face & set zero, using a .250" dia ball end mill offset .078" towards the low side, mill your .125" radius, which will be 20 deg across the edges.
Les H.

michaelm
02-23-2004, 09:07 PM
thanks Les!

Was thinking about using the horitzontal mill but this sounds easier. I will give it a try!