PDA

View Full Version : New member and hand and power scraping class to be held in Minneapolis area

Ponylander
04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself. I've been into home shop machining for about a two years and into scraping for a year.

I will be hosting a five-day hand and power scraping class sometime this summer after July 1st. Tentative dates are either July 7-11 or July 21-25. Mr. Richard King, who has taught hand and power scraping to thousands of people, will be teaching it. I was fortunate to take a 2 1/2 day scraping class from Richard last April, and it was excellent. We have room for up to 7 students. One or two of those slots are tentatively taken.

The plan is to teach the basics of hand and power scraping for two days (ten hours each day) on a Saturday and Sunday, and then offer three additional days of advanced scraping and related teaching for those who are interested (machine-alignment issues in rebuilding, etc.). The first two days will have lots of information crammed into them, but on the subsequent days, specific machine-related scraping/alignment issues can be dealt with; students will be able to bring machine parts to work on. I have a 4' x 4' surface plate, so there'll be plenty of room for spotting parts.

The cost will be $500 for the first two days, $250 for the third day, $225 for the fourth day, and $200 for the fifth day, but participants need to attend all days up to and including a given day in order to get that day's discount. Participants will need to put 50% down that is non-refundable (barring a death in family, or something like that) to hold their slot in the class for the number of days that they want; the balance will be due the first day of the class. Richard will give students an invoice on the day of the class.

If you are interested, we are still in the planning stages (exact choice of dates, etc.), but I am committed to making this happen and Richard has agreed to teach the class.

It might be worth part of the cost just to see a psychiatrist (me) scrape :D

If you are interested in this, let me know and I will add you to my emailing list. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Email is by far the most convenient for me (and I check it at least daily) but you may also call my cell phone at 952-239-5059. My email is pgobar@mac.com.

Mcgyver
04-13-2012, 11:28 AM
A psychiatrist here? Are you sure this isn't a thinly vieled business development foray? :D welcome to the forum. I think scraping holds great potential as a treatment....but I'm not really sure who needs greater help from whom (or is that who) .... the metal workers here or the psychiatrists :)

good luck on the class

cegreen
04-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Where will the class be held?

-Chris

Ponylander
04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
The scraping class will be held in my garage/workshop in Minnetonka, MN (west side of Minneapolis). We will have a heavy scraping workbench (4' x 8' or bigger, so there is room to work) with workpiece clamps set up in two of the bays, with chairs for when Richard is teaching and tables for food/snacks/drinks. The 4' x 4' surface plate will be in the adjacent workshop bay. There is 90 amps of electrical service to the shop and bright lighting, so it will be fine for scraping. It is only 5-10 minutes to the nearest hotel; I will see if I can get a group discount for that hotel. I will assist in getting people from/to the airport, and to/from their hotel (if anyone flies in) so folks won't have to rent a car. I hope to have AC in the shop by then, but will at least have fans (and the shop opens directly to the backyard with a pool :D)

Peter

Ponylander
04-15-2012, 01:24 PM
A psychiatrist here? Are you sure this isn't a thinly vieled business development foray? :D welcome to the forum. I think scraping holds great potential as a treatment....but I'm not really sure who needs greater help from whom (or is that who) .... the metal workers here or the psychiatrists :)

good luck on the class

Mcgyver,

Thanks. I use scraping as a good change from my day job. Helping struggling people is satisfying, but in psychiatry, it seems there is nothing precise other than the dosages of medications and a handful of lab test values. As you know, scraping is the opposite. I like that it provides very precise results and that those may be determined without guessing.

I don't know who'd be helped more by meeting the other group - psychiatrists or metalworkers... There might not be an answer to that question :D

lazlo
04-15-2012, 02:09 PM
A psychiatrist here? Are you sure this isn't a thinly vieled business development foray? :D

good luck on the class

Presuming it's the same psychiatrist Rich told us about at the Dallas class, Peter's taken the class at least once before, and is a the talented scraper :)

http://www.petergobar.com/www.petergobar.com/Blog/Blog.html

Peter: remind Rich we need an advanced class in the Central Texas area!

Ponylander
04-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Presuming it's the same psychiatrist Rich told us about at the Dallas class, Peter's taken the class at least once before, and is a the talented scraper :)

http://www.petergobar.com/www.petergobar.com/Blog/Blog.html

Peter: remind Rich we need an advanced class in the Central Texas area!

Yes, that is me, (though I haven't updated my blog in a while) and it's a fine compliment to be regarded as being "talented." Thank you for passing it along.

That said, I practice it... Sometimes I spend 5-8 hours a week scraping. I even scrape stuff that doesn't need it, so I'm not rusty for when I do need to scrape something. At the moment, I have stiff muscles from yesterday's scraping!

Ponylander
04-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Hello all.

The dates for this scraping workshop have been firmly set to July 21-25.

One of the interested individuals is a senior calibration tech at a local calibration company. If he is able to attend, I'm hoping to have him speak to us (and possibly demonstrate) how he surveys surface plates for flatness/repeatability and laps them (if needed) until they meet specification. That's iffy at this point, but I'm working on it.

I heard from Richard King today and have the following information about deposits for the class:

Regarding the deposit, what you need to do is decide how many days of the class you'll attend, then add up the total cost of the number of days you want to attend (minimum of two days). The cost will be $500 for the first two days, $250 for the third day, $225 for the fourth day, and $200 for the fifth day. The first two days will be basic hand and power scraping, and the last three days will cover more advanced scraping and machine-alignment matters. If you have a machine part or straightedge you'd like to scrape, that would be done during the last three days. The deposit needs to be for 50% of the total cost of all the days of the class that you want to attend.

For example, if you only want to attend the first two days, the total cost is $500, and 50% of that is $250, so you'd need to send a deposit for $250.
For the first three days, the total cost is $750, and 50% of that is $375, so you'd need to send a deposit for $375.
For the first four days, the total cost is $975, and 50% of that is $487.50, so you'd need to send a deposit for $487.50.
For all five days, the total cost is $1,175, and 50% of that is $587.50, so you'd need to send a deposit for $587.50.

Sorry for belaboring this. I'm just trying to be clear.

When I took a class from Richard last year, it was 2 1/2 days and there was a LOT crammed into that 2 1/2 days - and that class was set up with 12-hour days. Our days will max at 10 hours (that's plenty long to scrape in a day; students WILL be exhausted and sore by the end of a 10-hour scraping day). I seriously recommend attending a minimum of 4 days so you can really get the hang of scraping. Scraping classes aren't offered all the time and if you can make it, it will be well worth your while to come for enough time so that you feel you can best absorb the information Richard has to teach. It will also allow you more time to practice one technique or another if it would benefit you to do so.

Richard is a thorough and patient teacher. He will answer your questions long after the class is over, and he cares about how you are progressing. That said, trying to learn hand and power scraping and machine tool alignment in 2 or 2 1/2 days is like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hydrant. There's just so much good stuff to learn. I'm saying this to encourage you to think about attending more than just the first two days of the class (even if all you can commit to right now is a deposit for the first two days).

I will help class students with transportation from/to the airport and from/to the hotel if that would make it easier to help folks out financially who are flying into Minneapolis-St. Paul (so they don't have to rent a car). My house is close to a GOOD barbecue restaurant, too. I am also working on trying to get a group discount at the closest hotel.

Richard King would prefer a money order for the deposit. If interested in the class, please contact me at pgobar@mac.com (preferred) or my cell phone 952-239-5059 and I will answer any question and/or give you the address where to send the deposit.

lazlo
04-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Peter, you really don't want to post your email and phone number on an Internet forum. The spam bots will get it...

Ponylander
04-24-2012, 09:12 AM
That explains all the spam I'm getting...
I'm kind of new to these forums and keep forgetting to check my PMs...
That's why I did it.
Thanks, though.

dp
04-24-2012, 10:57 AM
If you're looking for side job opportunities in your primary line of work this is definitely the forum for you :)

The scraping world is one good video series away from bliss, btw, so keep that in mind as you proceed. Wish you were closer to Seattle.

lazlo
04-24-2012, 11:15 AM
The scraping world is one good video series away from bliss, btw, so keep that in mind as you proceed. Wish you were closer to Seattle.

Rich has taught classes up in Seattle. Just call him -- he's doing a circuit...

dp
04-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Rich has taught classes up in Seattle. Just call him -- he's doing a circuit...

I was there taking pictures but got called away for a server problem at work before I got much recorded. Some of what I got is here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudzwon/videos?view=1 (Might not have been Rich, now that I think about it, but still an excellent class)

Ponylander
04-24-2012, 11:26 PM
If you're looking for side job opportunities in your primary line of work this is definitely the forum for you :)

DP, funny you say that... I have hinted to my teenagers that there might be a little money for them in video-ing parts of the class...

BTW, Richard has been to Taiwan to teach scraping, and I think more than once. Seattle is relatively close, compared to Taiwan... He might just agree to teach a scraping class if you offer to host one; I say this because it happened to me! :D :D :D

dp
04-25-2012, 01:03 AM
DP, funny you say that... I have hinted to my teenagers that there might be a little money for them in video-ing parts of the class...

BTW, Richard has been to Taiwan to teach scraping, and I think more than once. Seattle is relatively close, compared to Taiwan... He might just agree to teach a scraping class if you offer to host one; I say this because it happened to me! :D :D :D

There is a great deal of money in it for a quality series. The vignettes I've done and the over-the-shoulder stuff that MŁeller (an excellent scraper) has done on youtube don't approach the needed level of quality, and a video set taken only from a classroom setting probably won't be coherent enough to sell well, but a purpose-built classroom where the only student is a well lighted scene and camera would.

I'm retiring to north central Washington soon where metal scraping is a far second to apples and soft fruits, so can't sponsor anything, but it would be fun. I think though that I will work on some new machining/scraping videos as time permits. Lake fishing is a real time burner.

Ponylander
04-25-2012, 05:23 PM
When I said I might have my teens do some videoing, it was really more to try to include them in the rest of the world outside of FaceBook, their iPods, etc. Namely, something more along the lines of getting them to help keep the snacks and drinks flowing, while providing them some exposure to a great manual art, than for any specific instructional or commercial motives.

If there is demand for instructional scraping videos above and beyond Richard's DVD, though, that might be a good thing to approach Richard about.

Machtool
04-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Bump.

For no other reason that it might need a bump.

Phil.

lazlo
04-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Phil, I just got your package yesterday -- thank you so much!!! :)

Machtool
04-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Phil,I just got your package yesterday -- thank you so much!!!

Did the wood handle make it through customs? I was really worried sending wood through the post. That’s why I didn’t let you know it was coming.

The book I promised last Oct for the use of that image. The rest of that package was makeup for the delay. I was all out of those carbide tips.

Regardless of all that. This class needs a few more participants to make it viable. Peter/ Ponylander, went out on P.M in the past 48 hours. I’m not the psychiatrist here but that tells me, they are hunting for a few more participants.

Don’t let this opportunity pass you guys by, for the sake of $500 bucks for the bare minimum 2 days.

Regards Phil.

Ponylander
05-16-2012, 11:00 PM
At this point, four of the eight slots of the scraping class are filled. Six other people remain interested, for only four more slots.

It looks like we'll have a South Bend 9" lathe present for the advanced portion of the class, and it is possible that we may have a South Bend 10" lathe there as well; their role in the class would be for demonstration, in terms of checking their alignment and/or need for scraping, etc.

For any questions, please contact Peter Gobar at pgobar@mac.com or 952-239-5059.

Ponylander
06-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Hello all.

At this point, seven of us are confirmed for attending the Minneapolis-area hand and power scraping class to be held 7/21-7/25 and taught by Mr. Richard King. I met with Richard recently and we have decided to expand the class size by adding three more slots.

Two of the students who have paid deposits for the class are planning to being South Bend lathes/parts to work on during the latter three days of the class when we will focus on more advance scraping and machine-alignment, and I suspect there will be other tool parts to work on, so if you've ever wanted to learn to scrape, here's your chance to be taught by a 2nd-generation Scraping Master.

Also, on 7/22, a senior calibration tech from Martin Calibration will demonstrate how he checks a surface plate for flatness and repeatability, and if needed, he will lap it flat again.

If you are interested in the class, please email me at pgobar@mac.com. The signup cutoff date is 7/10.

Regards,

Peter Gobar

Ponylander
07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
The class is now full.