PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 10 inch bandsaw

Toxic
04-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I am going to pick this up tommorrow. Negotiated for 350 dollars.. He says everything works but is there anything i should look for? He has a few blades that go with it.. I have been looking for one for a while and almost bought a 7x12 but this was close by and cheaper..

http://i39.tinypic.com/jrz0pd.jpg

Dr Stan
04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Fairly simple and straight forward technology. Not a whole lot that can go wrong. Over time the blade guides can wear out, the coolant pump can crap out, or the drive motor lets out the magic smoke. Any and all of these are a straight forward repair when and if necessary.

Toxic
04-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the reply.. I figured it was a pretty basic peice of macharny.. anybody running one in there shop? The back of the machine says the blade is 95.5 inch x 1/2..seems like a small blade for the size of this machine..Will it be capable of running a 3/4?

Dr Stan
04-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Without looking at the machine in person I cannot say with 100% certainty that it could use 3/4" wide blades, but I strongly suspect it can. As for blade length, that sounds about right.

I Googled "Rockwell horizontal band saw manual" and found this site:

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/rockwell/rockwell-52.html

You may want to contact them regarding a manual.

Toxic
04-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the link. I will definilty be looking into it..

Toxic
04-17-2012, 10:08 PM
well i just got the unit back to my shop.. is is alot smaller than i thought it was going to be. I am fine with that as floor space has been at a premium since i brought my project 99 f250 with a v-10 in. However i have a question about the coolant. The pump turns and makes noise but nothing at the other end. I am assuming it is plugged, no big deal i will just take it apart and check.. However the "coolant" is an oil. It is a bit thicker than hydraulic fluid. I always thought coolant would be a water soluble type. Are these pumps designed to pump this thicker oil coolant? Thanks for any information or insight.

dmerd
04-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi,
I have the same saw with variable speed. Bought it new about 35 years ago. The only thing I have had to replace is the gear box. One of the gears stripped and I found a new box on ebay a couple of years ago from a seller of delta rockwell parts. I use a 5/8" wide bi-metal blade and 10-14 teeth. 5/8" is the widest blade the saw will use. I don't use coolant with mine. Don't use the saw as much as I used to since I got my Ellis saw a few year back. I get my blades from http://bandsawblade.com/
Dave

Dr Stan
04-17-2012, 11:13 PM
The pump turns and makes noise but nothing at the other end. I am assuming it is plugged, no big deal i will just take it apart and check.. However the "coolant" is an oil. It is a bit thicker than hydraulic fluid. I always thought coolant would be a water soluble type. Are these pumps designed to pump this thicker oil coolant? Thanks for any information or insight.

It is probably just plugged up. What color is the oil and does it have a distinctive smell? If its brown and has a hint of sulfur its probably mineral lard oil which was (and still is) used as a cutting fluid. If it is too thick you can thin it with kerosene or diesel. When I worked at Cleveland Steel Products the chucker running aluminum used a 50/50 mix of mineral lard oil & kerosene.

It is much less prone to become rancid from bacteria and I never had any dermatitis issues from it, unlike water soluble coolants.

DR
04-18-2012, 07:30 AM
The gearbox is very weak on those machines. Stay with recomended blade size.

Ijunked mine because of stripped gears.