PDA

View Full Version : Xmt304

shawnspeed
04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
anybody here have/use one of these machines????may be able to get one .....cheap.....I have a syncrowave now & have always used miller, but never an invertrer...always solid state stuff...any input ???? Thanks Shawn

ironmonger
04-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Mine is about three years old... at least since I have had it.

It was broke when I got it as a result of autosense and 480 volt input... suffered a burn out due to an unscheduled power down and power up on a construction site.

The techs at Miller told me to set the mode to CV when I shut down, and start in the CV mode until the system runs through he setup routine and then place it in CC mode for stick or tig. I don't know what this does, perhaps macona does, but I figured what can it hurt...

I have not used it as a CV supply.

Mine has been wired for 220v operation only and I use it on single phase.
Great machine for me.

paul

macona
04-17-2012, 02:07 AM
I have one and gave one to my dad. Great machines. I have seen them covered in mud from being on worksites.

Never heard of the CV turn on thing. The machine does not care what you put it on. Or at least is shouldn't.

Lu47Dan
04-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I have one I bought brand new and love the machine, I stick, tig and mig weld with it.
No problems since I bought it and it has been a smooth welding machine.
Dan.

hardtail
04-17-2012, 02:08 PM
My buddy bought one cheap and it would work at work on 460 3 phase but the autosensing voltage would never connect to work on 230 single phase at home.........still sitting there. I hear they are a great welder but they seem to cost a lot of extra money for the wire drive and peripherals to fully utilize all it's functions, by the time you get it all going your probably into it for another 50-75% original cost.

He has since found a Powermig and he loves it and everything functions with the basic unit..........

dmerd
04-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi,
I have one and have it setup for dual shield with a Lincoln LN-25. Never had any problems with it.

macona
04-18-2012, 04:55 AM
My buddy bought one cheap and it would work at work on 460 3 phase but the autosensing voltage would never connect to work on 230 single phase at home.........still sitting there. I hear they are a great welder but they seem to cost a lot of extra money for the wire drive and peripherals to fully utilize all it's functions, by the time you get it all going your probably into it for another 50-75% original cost.

He has since found a Powermig and he loves it and everything functions with the basic unit..........

Cant really say they cost a lot of extra money. Feeders are expensive. But the feeders that connect are totally different than the feeders found in machine with built in feeders. There is just no comparison to a S-54 4 roll feeder to the feeder in a powermig or a millermatic. These things are designed to push some very heavy wire all day. You can wire up just about any aftermarket feeder to it as well.

You also need to remember a new XMT-304 is over $3500. Get a feeder on it and you can do stick, mig and tig (DC). You can't do that with a composite machine.

I would get the XMT fixed. May just be a bad contactor. Worst case scenario is a bad part on the main board. I have a NOS main board around here some place.

ironmonger
04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
I second the repair of the welder. If you have electronic skills it is also possible to hardwire XMT304 to 240 volt operation. I downloaded the manual from Miller4less. I don't know if a service facility would do this or not... I suspect not.

If yours operates only on 480, but does operate, the fix is as mocona says may be no more than the contractor or aux contacts. That's a lot cheaper than a power SCR and two IGBT's that mine needed.

Mine had a bad set of axillary contacts on the relay, which led to the vaporization of the power board. As my machine will never leave my shop, a condition of getting it free from my employer, I saw no reason to set it up for anything other than 240 single phase.

paul

shawnspeed
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Well , I ended up With the welder, just the bare power supply, now all I have to do is outfit it...I already have a syncrowave 250 , and a 211as , but the free pricetag was hard to say no too...although I have to set up & teach the guy who gave me this one how to operate his, I dentical unit. I will probably do him a few other favors along the way...but that's OK...Shawn

Lu47Dan
04-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Shawn, free is always good. Teach him well, than he will owe you. :D
Dan.

shawnspeed
04-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Yes, I will teach him well, he already is a fair stick welder , but needs some schooling on mig/tig. Even though he can weld, I usually end up doing most of his welding repair anyhow....unless I am not available, then he will do it.So....I will get to enjoy the one he has as well....Shawn

macona
04-24-2012, 03:03 AM
Wow, you beat my deal. I paid $100 with the running gear.

shawnspeed
04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Well , got a plug on it & fired it up today...all appears good ta go....now only if the Airgas store was open on Sat.... I would go get some cable ends to plug into the teminals....maybee I will spin some up instead...Shawn

macona
04-28-2012, 10:46 PM
The connectors are called Dinse 50.

shawnspeed
04-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Yep ...that's what there called ...but if you have no-one open to tell them "hey ,I need 2 male dinse 50 connectors" it really dose no good....It usta be that there were lots of mom & pop welding suppliers around , and a fair amount were open on Sat.......then in came Airgas ...bought them all up , not open on Sat anymore , closed by 5 on the week days...the closest one to work is to far away for a mad lunch run....makes getting welding supplies rough....and this is in a suburb of Detroit, one of the most industrialized areas in the nation, with lots of people who dabble in the garage...you guys in more remote/less industrial areas must have it really bad...the local TSC has 1 male /female combo, and some supplies, but not like a good welding supply...and there is always ebay....Shawn

scott96088
05-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Yep ...that's what there called ...but if you have no-one open to tell them "hey ,I need 2 male dinse 50 connectors" it really dose no good....It usta be that there were lots of mom & pop welding suppliers around , and a fair amount were open on Sat.......then in came Airgas ...bought them all up , not open on Sat anymore , closed by 5 on the week days...the closest one to work is to far away for a mad lunch run....makes getting welding supplies rough....and this is in a suburb of Detroit, one of the most industrialized areas in the nation, with lots of people who dabble in the garage...you guys in more remote/less industrial areas must have it really bad...the local TSC has 1 male /female combo, and some supplies, but not like a good welding supply...and there is always ebay....Shawn

I live 50 miles from the nearest welding supply and 150 miles from a machine shop supply so 99% of the tools and welding supply is ordered online.:(