PDA

View Full Version : My latest aluminum project

winchman
04-18-2012, 02:44 AM
I'm making four of these aluminum roll-around stands for cages in the new Vet-Tech program at the school.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/MiscellaneousApril2012on014.jpg

I spool-gunned the joints that don't show, and used TIG on the ones that do. They're made of 2" x 3/16" angle.

The instructor was adamant that I not waste much of the $2+/foot material. Out of the first two 25-foot sticks, I had two drops, one 1 3/4" and one 1/2". That's setting the bar pretty high for the rest of the project.

Working with lots of shiny new metal is always fun. :)

Black_Moons
04-18-2012, 02:53 AM
Nice work! Make sure to save all the drops and hand em to your instructor, Along with a quarter to pay for the waste. :rolleyes:

garagemark
04-18-2012, 06:53 AM
As I'm in the business of making aluminum, I would ask that you waste as much material as you possibly can. I need the work. :D

Oh, and nice fab job too....

vpt
04-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Nice! Are there going to be any top to bottom cross supports?

Alan Smith
04-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Winchman, that looks like a nice bit of welding.

From a veterinary point of view I'm surprised they have asked you to use aluminium for this. We threw out all our aluminium pens and cages years ago reason being all the disinfectant sprays that are up to dealing with the nastiest bacterial and viral agents will eat aluminium for breakfast. Even stainless steel can take a beating from some of these sprays.

datsun280zxt
04-18-2012, 09:10 AM

From a veterinary point of view I'm surprised they have asked you to use aluminium for this. We threw out all our aluminium pens and cages years ago reason being all the disinfectant sprays that are up to dealing with the nastiest bacterial and viral agents will eat aluminium for breakfast. Even stainless steel can take a beating from some of these sprays.

That just means in a couple of years, the class will be making new ones! That'll keep garagemark happy ;)

flylo
04-18-2012, 09:23 AM
:D I'd have to find a way to incorperate the scrap, maybe a latch gusset, etc & hand him about a 1/16" sliver per cage.

sasquatch
04-18-2012, 09:41 AM
nice work winchman, looks good!

Black_Moons
04-18-2012, 10:09 AM

Hmm interesting. I guess they are highly basic? (Sodium hydroxide?)

How effective is 99% iso? I thought 99% iso basically worked on everything.

Or UVC? Or Autoclave? *pictures student with small tiger torch 'sterilizing' a stand*

lazlo
04-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Oh come on -- you have to post at least one close-up of a bead :)

Your Old Dog
04-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Oh come on -- you have to post at least one close-up of a bead :)

I was thinking the same thing! I wondered why he didn't shoot them from across the street! I once PhotoShopped some of my welds to look like peanut butter (smooth type) !

Nice job on the project, wish I could tig but mig, o/a and ac/dc is all I can pull off. (that of course is with a little help from PhotoShop)

lugnut
04-18-2012, 09:43 PM
That is one of my dreams, is to be able to weld aluminum. I don't think it will ever happen, :(

winchman
04-19-2012, 04:34 PM
OK, here's some pictures of the spool-gun welds I did on the last two stands today.

First is the inside of a corner joint.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/MiscellaneousApril2012on015.jpg

Second is the gusset that the caster bolts to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/MiscellaneousApril2012on017.jpg

I couldn't get into the Vet-Tech area today, so pictures of the TIG joints will be coming next week. They're almost as good as the welds I did on the railings a while back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/MiscellaneousCannonAugust2011on010.jpg

Lugnut, don't give up on welding aluminum. Like any other manual skill, it's all about practice, practice, and practice.

lugnut
04-19-2012, 06:11 PM
I think I could master the welding, What I am having problems is not having a welder that welds aluminum :D