PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Help-Atlas Shaper

3t-
04-23-2012, 12:03 AM
The last of my Atlas machines needs to find a new home cuz I need the space. The Lathe and Mill were easy sells last summer as there were comparable sales in my area to help me price the items right. This Shaper is a different story. Haven't seen on for sale local for a long time and there is nothing currently on Ebay and only found one "completed sale" and it was way high.

I'm in the Omaha where there is not a ton of this type of machine on the market, any good ideas on what I should price this thing at. I was thinking $500-$700. Am I way out of line one way or the other?

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/tthurin/machines/DSCN1232.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/tthurin/machines/DSCN1233.jpg

dp
04-23-2012, 12:16 AM
I paid $800 for mine. It was complete, is in great shape and works like a new one. I got my money's worth. Wish I could find the matching mill locally.

flylo
04-23-2012, 12:23 AM
There one just like yours I called about a week ago & called again yesterday & he said I was the only call. He's asking $600 but I don't think He'll get it. Today I found a larger one of a different brand for $150. It needs a good cleaning but is under power & works fine.

Frank46
04-23-2012, 03:09 AM
Why is it that when someone has one of these for sale or comtemplating selling they have to live half way across the country?. Last one I looked at seller was in upstate New York. We do not see these little shapers here in Louisiana. Frank

camdigger
04-23-2012, 03:24 AM
Why is it that when someone has one of these for sale or comtemplating selling they have to live half way across the country?. Last one I looked at seller was in upstate New York. We do not see these little shapers here in Louisiana. Frank

Don`t see them much in Western Canada either. :(

Classic,
When I have the money, I don`t have the time...
When I have the time, I don`t have the money..........:(

When I do have the time and money, I can`t find one.:mad: :mad:

camdigger
04-23-2012, 03:41 AM
Don`t see them much in Western Canada either. :(

Classic,
When I have the money, I don`t have the time...
When I have the time, I don`t have the money..........:(

When I do have the time and money, I can`t find one.:mad: :mad:

Does make me wonder what shipping to central Alberta might be. I suspect the bigger hassle would be getting it across the 49th (aka the medicine line).

RussZHC
04-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Camdigger has it about right, I've only seen ads for two in the past 3 years or so, a later model Alba and a South Bend (both about the same size), in western Canada prices are high, those two were around $1600 (I assume both sold as ads were down long before renew time frame).
A bit bigger does not really change the price (slightly larger stroke by Sheldon and Logan I think), a lot larger does show up on occasion and those too are about the same.

J Tiers
04-23-2012, 08:26 AM
I have two.... (need to have just one).

One I bought for $150 off craig's list , the other I bought for $200, and had to force the seller (older family member) to take that much. Bought it for the vise.

I hear of these $1200 shapers, but have never seen one actually advertised for that much locally.

Now, a worn-out south bend 9" model C lathe with NO accessories...... Those list every time for $1200+. Don't know if they actually get it.

Robdiesel.707
04-23-2012, 09:18 AM
I bought a really nice Logan 8" shaper with a vice ect. fully tooled for $950.00 that had been on the S.F.Bay area Craigslist for most of a year. The guy, a retired machinist, restored the machine + made a really nice vice for it. The price? $950.00 was worth it to me. The drive to get it was the kicker, about 23 hrs. I do however have the means to cut internal keyways,splines ect. I have made splined locking lugs for a clutch assy. I'm building, and Vee ways in a block of steel to fit my lathe bed for the large steadyrest I'm building for turning/threading hyd. cylinder tubing. The uses are endless, but without one the machinist is doing allot of the work by hand, and thats allot of time that I don't have. I can now do projects in a timely manner that outherwise I wouldn't have even started on due to effort and time issiue. It is nice to have the proper tools to do the job. Due to my location, everything is far away. And everytime I travel to by someting off Craigslist that is many hours away I allways say I'll never do that again. Then I'll find something else. I try to stay off of Craigslist for that reason alone. Kinda like; I need a tool fix cause I'm a tool junkie!

Mcgyver
04-23-2012, 10:06 AM
I hear of these $1200 shapers, but have never seen one actually advertised for that much locally.

I bettered that number. But it was perfect, no wear. With vise and guards and stand. It been taken apart to move into a basement and never put back together again; the bearing surfaces looked like they had never be used

When I got it numerous parts were missing including some big items like the base casting. I scrounged, bought from ebay and made several parts to get it as like original. Vise recondition (or rather conditioned, it was far perfect from the factory) via scraping. Then I imported Atlas legs at no small cost and made the top and shelf out of hard maple, all with a handlplane. For the condition of the machine and how effort and cost it took complete the package the price was fair. Sadly, it fell victim to the space crunch, had to go to make room for the bport cnc

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/michael0100/shaper/shaper2reduceddc.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/michael0100/shaper/shaperalmostdone.jpg

DFMiller
04-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Camdigger,
Importing used equipment to Canada is not a big deal.
I have done one using a broker and another myself.
As long as you can convince them it's for personal use you can skip the broker. I got my one mill trucked up by a small independent trucker that was running small loads in a trailer to CA and returning empty. He brought it in bond to a warehouse. I walked in and did the paperwork. 10 minutes later I was on m way.

The little Barker horizontal I bought from HGR a few years ago cost a couple hundred to ship which was a minimum, then a hundred or so for the brokerage and HST.

The router I got from I'LL was about 300.00 plus fees.

If you can get it shipped to the nearest town south of the 49th and drive down you will cut shipping costs in half. Then it's just your time and Duty and Taxes.

:D don't be shy, it fairly easy.

Nice shaper, no room in my shop right now. Gotta unload some stuff.
Dave

11 Bravo
04-24-2012, 12:00 AM
This one has been on E-Bay for a few days. Asking $950. I think that is pretty high, but on E-Bay he may very well get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-7-Metal-Shaper-Vintage-Includes-Vice-and-Manual-/310394940393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844faebe9

I paid $500 for my South Bend. It is a later one with the pressure feed oil to the ways, is all original except the light and is in very nice condition.

The small shaper market is hard to figure. I was watching a South Bend on a government liquidation / auction site a few months ago because a buddy of mine just loves mine and wants one so I was keeping an eye open for him. That little shaper was missing the side door and a few other bits and had been left out in the rain to season a little. It sold for some insane price, I believe it was $2400 if I remember correctly. It was at Hill AFB in Salt Lake City.

Like someone else pointed out, the big ones sell for less than scrap. I want a 12" Hendy in a bad way, but I can never find one even remotely close.

Anyway, your machine looks like it is in pretty nice shape. I think you are pretty good on price, especially if you are willing to ship it for someone.

flylo
04-24-2012, 12:09 AM
What size do they call it? I believe the one i said was $600 is a 7" & the one for $150 is a 10".

3t-
04-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. The machine is in great shape with a couple of minor items that don't bother it's operation. It is fun to use but doesn't get much attention so it needs to find a home where someone uses it more.

Flylo, it is an Atlas 7b, 7inch shaper.

I might give the local craigs list a try and see what comes of it.

lazlo
04-24-2012, 08:21 AM
I bettered that number.

But you also advertised it here, in the form of a "rebuild" thread. :p

Clevelander
04-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately the ecomomy is against you and the demand is comparitively low. I bought one just like this about 8 years ago and i believe I paid about $600.00 for it.

mickeyf
04-24-2012, 11:01 PM
I see why you need the space. My shaper is a 8" Logan, but the garbage can beside it is identical to yours. I didn't realize that the adjacent garbage can was a standard shaper accessory! :D

FWIW, I paid $500 for my very-good-but-not-perfect Logan here on Vancouver Island about a year ago, but I thought I got a pretty good deal.

gwilson
04-24-2012, 11:38 PM
The Atlas shaper is probably a more effective machine than the Atlas milling machine. They are cute! I had one for a while that was donated to the toolmaker's shop but traded it off for some other things.

flylo
04-24-2012, 11:48 PM
I wish I could get it here for that. I picked up a spring at Clausing today & they have the same one in there entrance. It really is sweet. I may pursue the one I told you about. But I know your's is tip top. I found another brand in a 10" for $150 but it's just an ugly design compared to the Atlas.

HWooldridge
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM
You guys up North slay me with your $300 machine tools...we see ZERO shapers down here. I've been hunting for one in Central Texas for about 15 years with no success. Granted, it's not at the tip-top of my priority list and I've done just fine so far without, but would still be nice to see one once in a while. Of course, wood shapers are constantly on Craigslist but who the heck wants one of those?!

I'll admit seeing a monster over in Houston occasionally but even those are few and far between.

kc5ezc
04-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Paid $500 USD three years ago at the Guthrie OK old Iron meet. Had the original Atlas vice. Saw one of the vices go for $450 USD on ebay. I enjoy the little shaper, but a larger one would be better.

lazlo
04-25-2012, 04:38 PM
You guys up North slay me with your $300 machine tools...we see ZERO shapers down here.

Oh, come on now Hollis -- there have been more than a few shapers on Dallas/Austin/Houston/San Antonio Craigslist.
I passed on a SouthBend in Waco -- needed work on the lube system. Mike (MickeyD) bought and sold a neat 9" shaper...

You'll find that your percentage of tool gloats is proportional to how much time you spend checking Craigslist. I know guys who compulsively check at least once an hour :)

John (TexasTurnado) has a hilarious picture of his home computer showing some random machine tool with a big Post-It note written by his Wife that says "NO!" :D

Rex
04-25-2012, 04:38 PM
You guys up North slay me with your $300 machine tools...we see ZERO shapers down here. I've been hunting for one in Central Texas for about 15 years with no success. Granted, it's not at the tip-top of my priority list and I've done just fine so far without, but would still be nice to see one once in a while. Of course, wood shapers are constantly on Craigslist but who the heck wants one of those?!

I'll admit seeing a monster over in Houston occasionally but even those are few and far between.

Oh, I dunno. I bought a nice Atlas 7" w/vise out of San Antonio a couple years ago. It was never on CL though.
I have seen a few on CL, but it's been a while. There was a bigger one in Sherman available most of last year, don't know if it ever sold. The last few I saw listed were on the PM site.

justanengineer
04-25-2012, 05:06 PM
You guys up North slay me with your $300 machine tools...we see ZERO shapers down here.

Pfft. $300 is paying full asking price in the NE for an Atlas IMO. For that much, you can have a nice SB or BIG iron shaper. I bought my Atlas for $50 in 2008, and granted it needed quite a bit of love, but I reckon I can get at least that much back for it. I keep it though, bc it is a simple and sturdy machine. ~20 hrs time was all it took to thoroughly/carefully/slowly disassemble, clean, blast, paint, lube, and reassemble it (minus paint drying).

The one thing I will say about Atlas though, is that even on their shaper line, which many regard as their best machine, theyre definitely not high quality - cheap finishes, cheap engraving, tiny dials, rough mill + grinder cut instead of ground + scraped ways etc etc. Love it, but there is limitations to it.

flylo
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Pfft. $300 is paying full asking price in the NE for an Atlas IMO. For that much, you can have a nice SB or BIG iron shaper. I bought my Atlas for $50 in 2008, and granted it needed quite a bit of love, but I reckon I can get at least that much back for it. I keep it though, bc it is a simple and sturdy machine. ~20 hrs time was all it took to thoroughly/carefully/slowly disassemble, clean, blast, paint, lube, and reassemble it (minus paint drying).

The one thing I will say about Atlas though, is that even on their shaper line, which many regard as their best machine, theyre definitely not high quality - cheap finishes, cheap engraving, tiny dials, rough mill + grinder cut instead of ground + scraped ways etc etc. Love it, but there is limitations to it.

No offense but if your 20 hrs time is worth nothing your close enough I can keep you busy 100 hrs a week.:D

Mcgyver
04-25-2012, 05:34 PM
the monsters and even big ones trade for a lot less than the little ones. Ability to carry down the stairs is the threshold between two price brackets for shapers.

old machine prices are such an inexact thing, depends on condition condition and condition .....and location and the particular buyer and seller positions (may only be one each for 100 miles). End of the day, who gives a darn....we're not talking a material amount of money either way....you going deny yourself what you want and will and enjoy for maybe decades for a few hundred bucks? Or buy a beater instead a great one to save $200?

It sort of becomes "look at how clever I am, I bought it for such and such" rather than really mattering

justanengineer
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
No offense but if your 20 hrs time is worth nothing your close enough I can keep you busy 100 hrs a week.:D

Well, it depends on how you view life, and I view it a bit differently than most. At work I get paid the same regardless of the time I work, 40 vs 60 hrs/wk. The work is my dream, so the hours are irrelevant there. They are also irrelevant bc I get paid well and enjoy great perks besides, so money becomes of little issue. Granted, I dont have the expensive hobbies you do but I have more than I currently have time for, so its alright by me. The day job pays the bills, puts away enough for me to not worry, has a solid future, pays for a few hobbies, and I can even afford a cold brew when I want, so Im a lucky guy by my logic.

At home my shop time is all free (yup, Im cheap), bc its what I enjoy doing. I am "paid" in relaxation, which really affects how I enjoy and view my hobbies as well. For me, I enjoy and respect the tools I have bought more, the more work I have to put into them (long as they dont become a PITA!). While typically, I dont buy basketcases due to the PITA clause, I do get the best thrill out of a larger project. I also enjoy the thrill of the hunt, which is why another hobby of mine is pickin'/restoring antiques and other oddities for around the house/garage.

If I spent a pile of money on a perfect Atlas shaper, I would honestly feel foolish if I could have had one for significantly less. Would one for less be "as good" as the high buck tool? Well, arent we on a site that consistently proves that accuracy has more to do with the operator than the machine?

Now, to really stir the pot....I also dont always paint my machines an original color....:p

gwilson
04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
When I work to make money,it's one thing. But,when I'm making something to keep because I want to,time doesn't matter.

sasquatch
04-25-2012, 10:23 PM
re: Time doesn't matter if it's something you want to keep",

Agreed Geo., Put everything into something like that.

flylo
04-25-2012, 10:43 PM
I agree & think we're alot alike. I'm cheap & love a great deal & the thrill of the hunt. My hobbies also have always paid for themselves by buying & selling. I have learned that most times it's cheaper to let someone else restore things as they rarely get the cost of material back let alone labor. Because of an injury I'm a bit limited in what I can do & have to spend my short working time wisely. As I stated in a previous post I found a 7" nice Atlas for $600 & a 10" good shape, shop nasty one for $150. The 10" wins. In your case my point was being a pro like you could make more in those 20 hours Machining/Engineering than the savings on the shaper. As for me I can spend my downtime picking deals off C/L. It works well as we agree it's the thrill of the hunt. Everyday is an adventure. Live it with Gusto! Thanks :D

Well, it depends on how you view life, and I view it a bit differently than most. At work I get paid the same regardless of the time I work, 40 vs 60 hrs/wk. The work is my dream, so the hours are irrelevant there. They are also irrelevant bc I get paid well and enjoy great perks besides, so money becomes of little issue. Granted, I dont have the expensive hobbies you do but I have more than I currently have time for, so its alright by me. The day job pays the bills, puts away enough for me to not worry, has a solid future, pays for a few hobbies, and I can even afford a cold brew when I want, so Im a lucky guy by my logic.

At home my shop time is all free (yup, Im cheap), bc its what I enjoy doing. I am "paid" in relaxation, which really affects how I enjoy and view my hobbies as well. For me, I enjoy and respect the tools I have bought more, the more work I have to put into them (long as they dont become a PITA!). While typically, I dont buy basketcases due to the PITA clause, I do get the best thrill out of a larger project. I also enjoy the thrill of the hunt, which is why another hobby of mine is pickin'/restoring antiques and other oddities for around the house/garage.

If I spent a pile of money on a perfect Atlas shaper, I would honestly feel foolish if I could have had one for significantly less. Would one for less be "as good" as the high buck tool? Well, arent we on a site that consistently proves that accuracy has more to do with the operator than the machine?

Now, to really stir the pot....I also dont always paint my machines an original color....:p

11 Bravo
04-25-2012, 11:02 PM

There was a 10" Sheldon on the Dallas Craigs List last year for $500, you can bet cash would have bought it for less. It looked pretty decent in the pictures, but it was listed as a "key way cutter". Guys searching for shapers would never find it.

flylo
04-25-2012, 11:12 PM
I love it when guys can't spell or don't know the proper term on ebay. I just bought a New $2800 acid pump & motor for $35 & I didn't even want one.

JRouche
04-25-2012, 11:12 PM
My 75 dollar Logan... And this is in an area that will see the very high dollar shaper sales.

It just happened to be a sleeper and no one knew about it... JR

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/arrival.jpg

Oh, and all that ugly is just, well? Trash...

It cleaned up with a chip brush :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/finish.jpg

Mcgyver
04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
wow, now that is a paint job!

Northernsinger
04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
I bought an Atlas 7" shaper that had probably come from some tool room of a furniture manufacturing plant in Birstol, Vermont in about 1985 for $75. It came on the original legs, with a vise, and its guards; it was missing its crank access door, eventually I made a nice looking one out of wood. The fellow selling this was the grandson of the owner, who was a a WW I veteran who had died. I knew the old fellow, had worked with him refurbishing a metal lathe for a mill work shop, had asked for that job with him and got it, learned a lot, in 1977, I think. The old fellow was the most accomplished local millwright, set up all the sawmills around here, self-trained I think. Once, I worked on his house a bit, and I remember taking a break, with one or two other young carpenters, and he gave us coffee and homemade donuts in his kitchen. As we sat around the table he gave us a problem to think about, how to calculate the volume of water in the small town's reservoir. I believe he knew offhand how to solve volume in a truncated cone--it's true that his son ran the water department.

I moved the little machine in the back of a Datsun pickup, by myself, took it up to my home in another town about five miles away, set it up and used it a bit. Then, much later, I moved down here into the village, and moved it in the back of a Toyota pickup with a brother-in-law (it seemed heavier the second time around, about 20 years later) and put it in my cellar, where it is now although since that time I've built a metal shop and perhaps it should go out there. From where I type I can see the old fellow's house where I picked this up in the mid-1980's, about a block away.

There sure seems to be a fashion for these things, which has established a high price. With my history I'd never pay that (except that it seems you can get your money back again, at least for now)--I've bought my hobby lathes, two relatively modern German Weilers, with many good features,my strong Excelo mill, for about what is being paid for these little things. I guess I'd buy another of these if it came cheaply enough as I know they are in fashion but I think it is a little off base.

I am trying to trade for a larger more modern shaper, a European one, and I've offered an extra lathe, a Monarch 10EE, in trade for that plus something to boot, cash or another machine. I will probably lose money on this deal, but would like something I need more than this, and the Monarch, which I've never used, did not cost me an awful lot. I hopoe it's an attractive proposition.

Tell me why I should go with current fashion.

lazlo
04-26-2012, 08:29 AM
My 75 dollar Logan... And this is in an area that will see the very high dollar shaper sales.

It just happened to be a sleeper and no one knew about it... JR

Wow! There was a metal-flake blue shaper under all that rust? :D

Beautiful restoration.

sasquatch
04-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Very nice looking shaper!!

I find that colour to be quite attractive on that machine.

projectnut
04-26-2012, 09:31 AM
I just picked up a 7" AMMCO (Delta) shaper a couple weeks ago for $175.00. It came complete with the original stand and tooling. It looks like brand new with no visible wear on any of the components and hardly a scratch on the original green industrial paint. I love the history of some of the older machines. This one came from the Badger Ordinance plant in Baraboo WI. It still carries the property tag and a little approval tag from the War Board.

Shapers and most other "obsolete" machine tools in this area are extremely reasonable in price. I'm still looking at another 14" Leuter & Gueiss shaper that's been offered to me for $250.00. It's a beatuiful machine in excellent condition, but it literally weighs several tons. I would pick it up in a minute if I could figure out how to disassemble it enough to get it to my basement shop. I moved the shop from the garage to the basement a few years ago so I didn't have to deal with the changes in the weather and humidity. If all else fails it may reside in the garage and be used only during the warmer months.

platypus2020
04-26-2012, 09:35 AM
About 5 years ago, I bought mine off of EBay for $575, it was in pristine condition, owned by an engineer for New Holland Tractors. I was the only bidder, as it was pick up only in New Holland, Pa. So I also had a day trip from Syracuse to New Holland and back.

SimpleSimon
04-26-2012, 02:12 PM
I miss my shaper. I would love to find another. However, in the Seattle market there are a few guys who snatch them and part them out or mark them up.

SVS
04-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Watched a dirty but solid Atlas sell at live auction in Central Nebraska for $1100 about two years ago. Blew my "prediction" out of the water.

3t-
04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
SVS, that's crazy.

Maybe I should run a for sale add in the "Hub" :D

SVS
04-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Auction Hysteria. Would have brought $110 if I was trying to sell it.

Edited to add:I've been watching Machine Tools sell for "way too much" on Stock Auction's "Big Iron" internet auction. Google them....I'm gonna try it next time I have a lathe to sell.

3t-
04-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Yep, that's what I figured.

It's fun to watch from a distance but just do get caught up in it...:eek:

Woodsy
04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
3T - sent you a PM. I'm very interested in buying your shaper if you still have it.