PDA

View Full Version : Morse 0 taper angle???

hornluv
02-25-2004, 02:12 AM
I need to turn a Morse 0 taper on a few pieces of brass but I can't seem to find what the angle is written down anywhere (I should probably think about getting a Machinery's Handbook). I've measured a couple of things with a Morse 0 and done some calcs and came up with approximately 3 degrees included, but I also pretty consistently got bad grades in math. Would anyone like to confirm or deny my results.

Thanks,
Stuart

Carl
02-25-2004, 03:06 AM
A table of Morse Tapers I have here shows a 0 Morse Taper to be .6246 inch per foot. It shows that a 2 inch #0 Morse taper plug is .252 on the small end and .3561 on the large end. If my calculations are right the angle appears to be 2.981572305 degrees.

Forrest Addy
02-25-2004, 03:13 AM
Morse tapers as specified in terms of so much taper per foot which is theoretically 5/8" per foot total taper. The original Morse tapers are part of the Nist gage inventory. Morse the inventor of the taper system was an extraordinary tool and gage maker of his day but due to the limitations of metrology in 1864. If you closely examine the tables, you'll find the target 5/8" per foot total taper for Morse drill shanks are all over the map.

http://www.morsecuttingtools.com/company/about.html

A taper angle is convenient to set up the machine but is not used to specify the taper. Don't forget that machine settings for tapered bodies of revolution have to be made on the half angle - in this case 1.4808 degrees. The included angle would be double.

A #0 Morse taper is 0.3561" at the gage line, 1 15/16" long effective male taper length and has a 0.6246" total taper per foot. The rest of the tabluar data can be found by pursuing this link:

http://www.morsecuttingtools.com/reference/taper.html

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 02-25-2004).]

Dr. Rob
02-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Is that ever weird... I was grinding one of those yesterday. Thought I must be the only guy in the world who uses them.

Anyway, the book I checked gave me 1.491* (x2 then), 9.045 mm major and 6.115 mm minor diameter. Don't recall the length-- was it 58 mm?

lynnl
02-25-2004, 02:03 PM
I've always wondered if that "Morse" is the same as that of "Fairbanks & Morse" fame. I've kinda assumed it was the same. (tho with no good reason, since Morse is not a rare name.)

Carl
02-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Stuart, If you can come up with a #0 Morse taper with center holes you could set it up between centers and use a dial indicator to adjust your lathe compound to the proper angle. Then just use your compound to turn the tapered pieces you need.

Peter S
02-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Forrest,
I had no idea there was a Morse company still around with some link to Mr Morse himself, interesting.

Lynnl,
They are not the same man, Charles Hosmer Morse (1833-1921) began as an apprentice with the well established E&T Fairbanks Co. in 1850. Fairbanks were makers of a popular weighing machine at this stage and had over 1000 employees by 1860.

Morse began as a clerk and later became an accountant with the company.

Fairbanks developed an international network of dealers and distributors, usually a partnership agreement under which the distributor was permitted to use the Fairbanks name.

One of these distributors was Fairbanks, Morse & Company. Morse "had a keen eye for business and without doubt was the consummate salesman" and introduced the Fairbanks scales to the western and mid western states.

Although E&T Fairbanks grew greatly, Fairbanks Morse became the dominating force, and in 1916 Morse aquired control of E&T Fairbanks, and in 1927 control of E&T Fairbanks in NY and thus the weighing business.

When the book I have was written in 1993, the author says that the Fairbanks scale line continues (albeit with load cells and electronics) with virtually the same design principles set down by Thaddeus Fairbanks in 1830.

Up until 1880, Fairbanks Morse was primarily an agent for others products, they became a 'Sears-Roebuck' for industry.
For example their 1901 "Mining" catalogue has 700 pages covering everything imaginable for the mining industry.
But they also began to manufacture and buy out other businesses eg they sold 'Eclipse' windmills (for water pumping) and eventually took control of the company.

They began manufacturing steam pumps in 1891 after selling others products, and linked up with the manufacturer of Charter gas engines around 1893 - Charter is the ancestor of the FM gas engines that would follow.

Heck, there is too much to read and write about this great company, "Fairbanks Morse 100 Years of Engine Technology" by C.H. Wendel is good, plus I have another slimmer, older book by the same author "Power in the Past, vol 2, A History of Fairbanks, Morse & Company.

[This message has been edited by Peter S (edited 02-25-2004).]