PDA

View Full Version : spring wire straightening?

38_Cal
04-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Got a roll of spring wire (.067"), and am wondering what youse guys would suggest for straightening lengths of about 4 to 6"? Thanks!

David

flathead4
04-26-2012, 02:28 PM
I bought a roll of .040" spring wire to make a new, lighter trigger (sear) spring for a Savage Striker. I just used my fingers to straighten it, but I'd like to hear some other methods.

Tom

dian
04-26-2012, 02:51 PM
i buy my spring wire as a rod (straight). it ranges from 0.5 mm to 4 mm and comes in one meter lenghts.

strokersix
04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Pull it straight in a small frame of some sort, then cook it in a toaster oven at 500F for an hour. Works good for stress relieving springs, seems like it might work for what you want to do also.

mf205i
04-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Stretch to the point of yield or twist it.
Mike

mayfieldtm
04-26-2012, 05:18 PM
I saw this on the web.

http://www.witels-albert-usa.com/wire_straighteners.html

These are commercial straighteners. I would think one could make one easy with a hand full of ball bearings. The actual deflection is very slight, only a few thou. but, they work great.

Tom M.

boslab
04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
i used a crane, yes, lol, tied one end round the hook and clamped the other to a 10" x 30 foot girder, straightened out nicely!
mark

JoeCB
04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
First - put on your safety glasses. Hold one end in your bench vice, chuck the other end in your drill motor... pull the wire tight and give it a quick spin... should come out nice and straight.

Joe B

Paul Alciatore
04-26-2012, 10:39 PM
First - put on your safety glasses. Hold one end in your bench vice, chuck the other end in your drill motor... pull the wire tight and give it a quick spin... should come out nice and straight.

Joe B

Now there is a great, original idea.

A.K. Boomer
04-26-2012, 11:13 PM

Joe B

I second that compliment (as long as you don't overdue it!)

even a few wraps will get the job done and still maintain pretty good integrity,

Good duty JoeCB, that is original.

38_Cal
04-27-2012, 12:00 AM

Joe B
Tried this, thanks, Joe B, but the keyless chuck on my hand drill is not up to the job! But it does give me an idea or three... Nope, don't own a crane...:rolleyes:

David

darryl
04-27-2012, 12:24 AM
I like the twist idea, but I think it would work best if there's lots of tension on the wire while you twist it. If you do it, why not straighten a longer section, then cut it into the lengths you want after. Not spring wire, but I've straightened steel wire several times by hooking up one end to a vehicle, and the other end to an immovable object, like a light post base in a parking lot :) I like a smooth pull, not a jerk, and you stop when you feel it give a little. Then get out there with vise grips or whatever and carefully cut some usable lengths out of it. I've probably gone through 1000 ft like that over the years. People looked at me funny, but who cares.

Now I wouldn't want to be inline with it if it snaps-

Boostinjdm
04-27-2012, 02:15 AM
Tried this, thanks, Joe B, but the keyless chuck on my hand drill is not up to the job! But it does give me an idea or three... Nope, don't own a crane...:rolleyes:

David

You can do it by hand with a pair of vise grips. Clamp off one end, pull the wire tight and give it several twists. Repeat till straight.

Euph0ny
04-27-2012, 02:45 AM
An old jewellers' and musical-instrument makers' trick for straightening wire is to get a stout board which you can hold in a vice, and hammer five or six stout nails into it in a straight line, spaced 1/2 to 3/4 inch apart, depending on the thickness of your wire.

Now lay a piece of wire into the nails slalom-fashion (left of one nail, right of the next and so on), leaving enough sticking out at one end that you can get a good grip with a wire-pulling pliers or "drawtongs" (this is a special pliers with grooved teeth and a hook/loop on one leg, to give purchase for pulling) or a vice-grips.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3275/drawtongs.jpg

If you pull the kinked wire through the slalom, it will come out straightened! Magic. You might need to lubricate it with a bit of soap.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2743/straighten.jpg

The images are from "Metalwork & Enamelling" by Herbert Maryon - you can find excerpts of it through Google books.

Just Joe
04-28-2012, 01:42 AM

Joe B

This does work. I read about it on an electronics forum. I had a piece of 10 ga. soft copper ground wire I needed to straighten. It only took about one second of time running the drill to straighten it.