X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black Forest
    • Jan 2010

OT: computer password problem

Today my computer decided to not accept my windows user password. I tried rebooting several times. I took the battery out of the motherboard to try and reset the cmos. I went online to look for a solution but didn't find one that worked.

So anyone have anything they would share with me as to what I can do to get access to my files on my C drive?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!
  • hsm'er
    • Apr 2011

Make sure Caps Lock is off and Num Lock is on.

If that fails, use this: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Comment

• Jaakko Fagerlund
      • Dec 2010

At a friends computer, install a Linux on a USB stick and boot your computer from that. Then you are able to browse your hard drive and copy everything you need, just in case.

Other option is to remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a slave drive and access it that way.

No passwords required, unless you have encrypted drive.
      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

• flylo
        • Apr 2011

Probably overloaded it with Volvo pics!

Comment

• Peter.
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Black Forest
          Today my computer decided to not accept my windows user password. I tried rebooting several times. I took the battery out of the motherboard to try and reset the cmos. I went online to look for a solution but didn't find one that worked.

So anyone have anything they would share with me as to what I can do to get access to my files on my C drive?
          Log on as USER: Administrator, and leave the password blank, since that is the default for windows.
          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
            • Aug 2002

If it's a personal computer and only used by you then it serves you right for ever using a password. :-) The fewer things that get put
            on a computer the fewer things to go wrong. :-)
            ...Lew...

Comment

• fredf
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by hsm'er
              Make sure Caps Lock is off and Num Lock is on.

If that fails, use this: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
              doesn't apply to a desktop but on a LT make sure num lock is OFF!

Make SURE your username is correct

Try another keyboard. and / or watch to see if each keypress causes ONE new dot. As a quick check try entering your password as a user name to view the keyboard output

if a USB keyboard, try a different port. Note that windows may take a few minutes to find keyboard on a different port

I like to use a password even if I am the only one on the machine. and Administrator should NEVER have a blank password. On Vista and above the administrator account doesn't exist by default

there are Linux boot cd's that can be used to reset the windows password; or as a previous poster mentioned you can copy files IF YOU DID NOT SPECIFY AN ENCRYPTED FILE SYSTEM

Comment

• needlenose
                • Dec 2011

Bootable Linux

As has already been mentioned, use a bootable cd/dvd to change the admin password. The ISO will be about 10MB and the entire change process will take about 60sec (if that).

Of course, if it's the only computer you have, the burning process will be a little complicated...

Comment

• Black Forest
                  • Jan 2010

Hey Lew, did anyone ever tell you that you are a ؤhole! Well now they have! I don't wish you any serious harm but being constipated for a week would seem justified.

There are many reasons to have a password on a sole user personal computer.
                  Last edited by Black Forest; 05-05-2012, 05:28 AM.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Black Forest
                    • Jan 2010

I got it fixed. I ran a linux based registry editor and removed the password. Thank you for your help.

Comment

• Jaakko Fagerlund
                      • Dec 2010

Many reasons to have that password for sure, but the solution to your problem once again showed how easy it is to bypass the said password
                      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

• Black Forest
                        • Jan 2010

Locks or passwords only keep honest people honest. I don't have them on there for the bad guys. They will get in no matter what probably.

I have five computers networked together at my home. Some of the password protection is to keep files from being altered unwitingly by memebers of my family.

Comment

Working...
                        X