X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mcgyver
    • Mar 2005

comments on Harig Air flow vs other air bearings

any of you familiar with the Harig Air flo unit?

The unit I'm familiar with, Chevalier, copied from a K O Lee has the head hinged on the base and sprung. The idea is after taking a cut you pull down on the lever in the middle of the base, and it retracts the cutter just enough so you clear the wheel for the return stroke.

I can't see where the harig has this feature? It would seem a pita to use without it but maybe i'm missing something? what's SOP with the Harig?

Also, the Harig has spindles for 5C collets or their bushings....what do the bushings do a 5c doesn't?

K O Lee air bearing

Harig air bearing
    Are you looking for quality used machine tools and fabrication equipment? River Road Machinery has a large inventory of machinery.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-06-2012, 11:01 AM.
    located in Toronto Ontario
  • JCHannum
    • Nov 2001

My Harig catalogs don't cover the end mill fixture, so, I would guess it has not been manufactured for a while. My end mill fixture was manufactured by Rochelau and it has a sub base with the tilt feature, perhaps Harig did likewise.

Weldon fixtures use bushings, the Rochelau & KO Lee use 5C collets. The choice just might be a matter of preference or personal bias as to which would be more accurate.
    Jim H.

Comment

• Mcgyver
      • Mar 2005

thanks Jim, I hadn't properly labeled my links before....the second picture is of a Harig...maybe the do tilt, looks like a pivot point to the bottom left of the head here

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/$(KGrHqRHJ!wE9qVSwOdTBPiWGOqEOw~~60_57.JPG

...late breaking news....just recieved a manual from one the good folks, another Michael (thanks again!), and it does indeed tilt. The threaded hole in the link i two posts up is for the arm and handle.

apparently harig offered spindles for 5c or bushings...anyone have opinions on why one is better or where you'd use one over the other?

Comment

• RWO
        • Mar 2010

The Sept/Oct 1987 issue of HSM has plans by Philip Duclos for making an air bearing end mill sharpener for use on a surface grinder. It starts with an import spin indexer and ends up with all the bells and whistles for sharpening endmill end teeth and flutes using the 5C collet spindle just like the commercial units

I built one years ago and it works as advertised.

RWO

Comment

• lane
          • Aug 2005

All of mine use collets .But I under stand the bushings are better more accurate , but a pain to use . A friend has one with the bushing . Its slower to set up but the end mills run truer. So I think the bushing idea is better .
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• Mcgyver
            • Mar 2005

thanks lane

Comment

Working...
            X