X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aboard_epsilon
    • Oct 2004

Paypal

Are these new fees that are coming in ..or were they there before ?

they say they are introducing ..currency conversion fees

cross border transaction fees

and a lot more .....you need an hour to read the thing

you have to log in the view i think

if you don't want to trust that link above ..go into paypal account and press on the right near the top of the page "policy updates"

all the best..markj
  • BigBoy1
    • Jun 2006

Fees

I guess the owner is having problems making payments on his yacht, airplane, mansion, life style, etc. You know the economy is bad so pass it along.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

• Black_Moons
      • Aug 2009

They already had a poor conversion rate of like 5% lower then the banks.
      Cross boarder tranaction fees?? what the. they are just shifting stuff around in a database!
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• lakeside53
        • Nov 2007

The banks and credit card companes all have nasty exchange rates... banks just hide it in "buy/sell" rates.

Comment

• Davo J
          • Jun 2008

I notice the currency conversion is always 2 cent less on transactions, I thought that was how they where getting there money out of it. If this is going to start I will let the bank do it.

Dave

Comment

• goose
            • Jul 2007

They've had the currency conversion fees for as long as I know. (At least Paypal USA) AFAIK, there's no way around it, you will be charged conversion fees when converting in your PP account, or if you accept payment only in a particular currency (USD, for instance) any foreign currencies are converted, and again, you receive the net less conversion fees. (The buyer/sender of funds does not incur any fees)

You can avoid fees, if you plan to use the currency in it's original form (example; GBP or Euro.) as received.
            Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by goose
              They've had the currency conversion fees for as long as I know. (At least Paypal USA) AFAIK, there's no way around it, you will be charged conversion fees when converting in your PP account, or if you accept payment only in a particular currency (USD, for instance) any foreign currencies are converted, and again, you receive the net less conversion fees. (The buyer/sender of funds does not incur any fees)

You can avoid fees, if you plan to use the currency in it's original form (example; GBP or Euro.) as received.
              yes i know about the currency thing ..what about this cross border thing ....seems like ..

in the future after july.. if you buy or sell anything out of the country .

looks to me as if its saying

you will be hit with

currency fees

cross border fees

paypals paymemt fees

ebay fees

taking money out of your paypal account fees

people paying you by credit card fees..instead of direct bank transfer

by the sounds of it ..it can now add up to 25 percent of your profit..

all the best..markj

Comment

• Black_Moons
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                yes i know about the currency thing ..what about this cross border thing ....seems like ..

you will be hit with

currency fees

cross border fees

paypals paymemt fees

ebay fees

all the best..markj
                the 1% won't be happy till they have 99% of the profit.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
                  • Oct 2004

like the choice they give you

You do not need to do anything to accept the changes as they will automatically come into effect on the above date. Should you decide you do not wish to accept them you can notify us before the above date to close your account (https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?&cmd=_close-account) immediately without incurring any additional charges.

all the best.markj

Comment

• goose
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon

you will be hit with

currency fees

cross border fees

paypals paymemt fees

ebay fees

all the best..markj

Sorry, not seeing that in my policy updates, I don't have Paypal UK, (that may be the issue.)

"cross border" fees sounds somewhat European, not a term often used in the US.

I hope the fee changes are not too usury.

In the past I've sold many things overseas and only had the currency conversion fees in addition to the usual PP cut of the action.
                    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by goose
                      Sorry, not seeing that in my policy updates, I don't have Paypal UK, (that may be the issue.)

"cross border" fees sounds somewhat European, not a term often used in the US.

I hope the fee changes are not too usury.

In the past I've sold many things overseas and only had the currency conversion fees in addition to the usual PP cut of the action.

hows this ...

FunctionFeesAuthorisation only: For each successful but uncaptured authorisation transaction via the Direct Payment API or Virtual Terminal£0.20 GBP per authorisation transactionCross-border transaction: Additional charge for receiving a payment from an Account having a different Account Nationality (as defined below)

Note: Cross Border Euro or Swedish Krona payments made between Accounts registered in the European Union or EEA do not incur this additional charge.

The following percentage of the payment you received (depending on the sender’s country):

Sender’s countryAdditional FeeNorthern Europe*0.4%Europe I/ US/ Canada**0.5%Europe II***1.0%Rest of World1.5% * Aland Islands, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden.

** Austria, Belgium, Canada, Channel Islands, Cyprus, Estonia, France (including French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Reunion and Mayotte) , Germany , Gibraltar, Greece, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy , Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Montenegro, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, United Kingdom, United States, Vatican City State.

*** Andorra, Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine.
                      "
                      For information, the previously applicable (deleted) text of section 2.3 reads as follows:
                      "Additional fees for specific functions. You also agree to pay the following fees:FunctionFees Authorisation only: For each successful but uncaptured authorisation transaction via the Direct Payment API or Virtual Terminal
                      £0.20 GBP per authorisation transaction
                      Cross-border transaction: Additional charge for receiving a payment from an Account having a different Account Nationality (as defined below)
                      0.5% of the payment you received, in addition to the Transaction Fees payable by you to PayPalChargeback fee: For each chargeback filed, unless you are protected by the Seller Protection Policy (see the User Agreement)£7.00 GBP, €11.25 EUR, $15.00 CAD, $10.00 USD, $15.00 AUD, 10.00 CHF, 65.00 NOK, 80.00 SEK, 60.00 DKK, 30.00 PLN, 2,000 HUF, 250.00 CZK, $15.00 SGD, $75.00 HKD, 40.00 ILS, 110.00 MXN, $15.00 NZD, 330.00 TWD, 360.00 THB, 500.00 PHP, 20.00 BRL, 30.00 ARS.Exchange rate and fee: The exchange rate is the retail foreign exchange rate as determined by PayPal at the time a transaction is completed. The exchange rate is adjusted regularly, based on market conditions, and includes a 2.5% Fee above the rate at which PayPal obtains foreign currency. The 2.5% Fee is retained by PayPal.

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
                        • Oct 2004

sorry screwed that one up ..and my mouse will not blue it all over to delete

funny it transfered over with the table and charts ..but then screwed up after

anyway ...

its policy updates ...

then press 0n View upcoming policy updates

all the best..markj
                        Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• RussZHC
                          • Mar 2010

maybe this is a good thing...at some point they will put themselves out of the market...I suspect sooner rather than later alternatives will become available or at least, more used
                          (I am thinking more of the whole EBay/Paypal package)

Comment

• George_Race
                            • Feb 2011

I have had, and have been using, a PayPal Business Account for many years. I buy and sell on eBay as well as selling a lot of specialized products all over the world. PayPal has made these kind of transactions extremely easy. You can feel assured that indeed the buyer has paid and the money is in your account. Payment is quick, it all seems to happens instantly. To me, it is all about the convenience the service is providing for both the seller and buyer.

Yes, PayPal charges have been going up, it seems like every year. I currently build in a 10% margin to cover the cost of PayPal transactions on anything that i sell. Just part of the cost of doing business that is passed along to the buyer.

Are there other ways to get paid, of course. A couple of the more popular are Google Checkout and Authorize.Net. There are others as well. But, you can bet as any of these become more popular, their costs to the end user will go up as well.

If there is one thing that bothers me about PayPal, it is that they and eBay are under the same ownership. Talk about a double dip! Sellers fees on eBay plus percentage fees on PayPal make for a very nice profit level for the joint company. And, PayPal is the ONLY way you can buy on eBay!

The bottom line, if you want the convenience of the service, you are going to pay the cost of using it.
                            My Web Site
                            www.mrrace.com
                            Builder & Test Pilot N73EX

Comment

• flylo
                              • Apr 2011

Called a guy on a lathe yesterday & coudn't pick it up till today. He had a guy coming in the afternoon who I know would snap it up. I asked the seller if he had a paypal acct. He said yes but only used it a couple times. I explained about about sending money for the lathe. 2 minutes lated he's paid, lathes mine. quick & easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X