PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Everyone!

Farmer Joe
02-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Hello All. I've been lurking here for a while with my ears open and mouth shut. I have learned so much in a very short time about machining, engineering, chemistry, metalurgy.... This week I purchased a South Bend 10" toolroom lathe. It's from about 1946 with the single lever gearbox, underdrive motor, and the taper atachment. Can't wait to play with that! It looks pretty good next to my Bridgeport J Head step pully. The BP is from 1969 and all manual. It's hooked up to a VFD (Spinmaster). VFD is the way to go! Those are my big acquisitions this past year and I just wanted to thank everyone for the knowledge and the laughs. Thank You All!!
Joe
P.S. Especialy the laughs!

G.A. Ewen
02-25-2004, 12:05 AM
Hi Joe,
Hope to hear from you again, Welcome.

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 02-25-2004).]

x39
02-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Welcome to the neighborhood. Though I've never met anyone from this board, I know they're all a good bunch of guys. There's an incredible wealth of knowledge here, and I've never seen anyone belittled for asking what to many here may be a question with an obvious answer.

[This message has been edited by x39 (edited 02-25-2004).]

wierdscience
02-25-2004, 10:13 PM
We aim to sleaze!Uhhh....please! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

WJHartson
02-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Welcome. Let us know what you are working on and how it is progressing.

Joe

Alistair Hosie
02-26-2004, 01:03 AM
welcome farmer joe Alistair

bernie
02-26-2004, 01:53 AM
Welcome aboard Farmer Joe!! Congrats on your tool purchases.

Farmer Joe
02-26-2004, 11:08 AM
I've been interested in machining and design since I was a boy. Now I have a chance to start playing around. Lots to learn though. Lots of ideas, very little knowledge. Right now i'm working on getting the lathe cleaned up. The lead screw turns one way easy (down the bed), but a little harder coming up to the chuck. Maybe a little oil and running will free it up.

Joe

P.S. Where can I get a leather flat belt. It will need to have combs and pins. I'm not taking the headstock apart!

Farmer Joe
02-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Almost forgot. I have the parts list catalog (with exploded views) for South Bend Lathes. 9", 10", 13", and 16". It looks pretty complete. Came with the lathe. If anyone needs info, let me know. I can copy and email to you.

SJorgensen
02-26-2004, 08:41 PM
I know this subject has been discussed before but I just thought I'd tell you that I had trouble finding a flat belt for my SB 9" so I decided to use a flat automotive belt that is probably 38" in circumferance. I didn't have very much trouble removing the spindle, and I am glad that I did. I also cleaned out the oil passages and did those clean up things that should be done every 50 years or so.

Good luck, and if you decide to remove the spindle you will need to know about the tapered pin and the spring loaded oiling wicks. Other than that it isn't very difficult.

Spence

wierdscience
02-26-2004, 08:43 PM
Flat belts,McMaster-Carr,if they don't have what you need e-mail me I have sources.

Farmer Joe
02-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys. Maybe after a little more research , I won't be afraid of messing it up. I tend to look for replacement parts first then proceed with removal. Took awhile to learn that.

Joe

SGW
02-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Lindsay Publications sells (or at least sold) a SB reprint called "Keep Your Lathe In Trim" that IMO is well worth getting.

Someplace or other I have the directions for removing the spindle...but at this point I have no idea where they are, or where I got them from. The one thing I do remember about it, alluded to by Spence, is how to deal with the spring-loaded oiling wicks. When the time comes to reassemble, remove the oil cups (in front), compress the wicks and springs, and hold them down by sliding stiff wires in through the oil holes. Then you can slide in the spindle without hitting them.

Spence, what's the tapered pin one needs to know about?