PDA

View Full Version : Morse #2 Collets

BWB
05-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Can anyone suggest a source for these? All I can find look like they may be imports from the same source. That's fine, but I'm wondering about their accuracy. Has anyone bought some lately?

TGTool
05-10-2012, 10:12 AM
I bought some a year or so ago for an old Bridgeport M-Head. I haven't actually tested them for accuracy, just installed and started machining. I suppose it's possible something may be a little off, but then I'm not expecting a jig borer spindle accuracy out of the Bridgeport either. In fact, if the spindle were off just a little and the collets off just a little I could compensate by installing them in the right orientation. Unless you're using them for tool and cutter grinding I don't think it's worth fretting over.

BWB
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Your point is well taken, but accurate is better. My immediate concern is that I'll be using some coated carbide 4 flute endmills in hardened steel, so runout is indeed a concern.
Do you recall where you got yours? I would prefer not taking the time to make them if good enough ones are available.

Ohio Mike
05-10-2012, 05:19 PM
If accuracy is really an issue then you should look at Hardinge. Current price is $65.62 each.

bob308
05-10-2012, 07:57 PM
if they have to be that close don't mess with collects. get ground endmill holders.

armedandsafe
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM
I bought these and am happy with them, although I don't do exacting work on the mill.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1752&category=

Pops

TGTool
05-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Do you recall where you got yours? I would prefer not taking the time to make them if good enough ones are available.

I believe I got mine from Victor Machinery Exchange. A lot of places don't have them but Victor showed them in the ad in HSM so it seemed a good place to start.