PDA

View Full Version : OT - anybody else get the Paypal scam?

SGW
02-26-2004, 05:14 PM
I just got a scam e-mail purporting to be from Paypal asking for a debit card number, etc. to "verify my account."

Since I don't have a Paypal account, it's clearly bogus.

Be forewarned....

ibewgypsie
02-26-2004, 05:36 PM
More nigerians?

David

debequem
02-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Probably and it is probably my fault.

I get the "Nigerian" letters a lot. Each time I get one I send it back with ALL of the others I have been collecting as attachments. Probably pissing them off. So now they are doing Paypal scams? Wonder what we could send them next?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Marv

CCWKen
02-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Somebody should set up a bogus account and call it FBI or CIA something or another. Answer back with that and see what they do.

I used to get the Nigerian offer to bank millions for just $5000 in "bribe costs". I answered one and told them to take the $5000 off the top and send me the balance. I don't hear from them anymore.

wierdscience
02-26-2004, 09:05 PM
I never have responded to one of those e-mails,but I sure would like to meet up with the people who send them http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//mad.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 02-26-2004).]

laddy
02-26-2004, 09:13 PM
I got both the paypal and the ebay letters to confirm the account. I referred both to spoof@paypal.com and spoof@ebay.com. Yesterday I got an email informing me that my visa card had been used fraudulently and by someone trying to set up a new identity. The letter said it was probably lifted off the net or from a previous transaction. It said that I needed to contact them by the provided link. I called Visa and they turned the matter over to the fraud unit. The Nigerian and Egyptian letters have come both by email and by regular mail. The regular mail ones were picked up by the city postal inspector. I wish these guys would come to the door in person with these scams so I could respond directly with a size 9.

G.A. Ewen
02-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Laddy, double "0" would be my preferred responce. Well ok, maybe just rock salt. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

G.A. Ewen
02-26-2004, 10:55 PM
I hope you guys don't mind a long one...

- Nigerian Scam Letter - A Great Response!

I was feeling a little frisky, so I thought I’d have Norbert DeFazio of Deer Lick Alabama answer another Nigerian scam letter.

Phillip Ellis Jackson (www.scifi-jackson.com)

1. The Original Letter

DEAR SIR,

FIRSTLY, I MUST SOLICIT YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING IN THIS MATTER AS THIS MESSAGE MAY COME TO YOU AS A SURPRISE.

I HEREBY WISH TO CONTACT YOU FOR A JOINT BUSINESS TRANSACTION WHICH CAN BE OF IMMENSE FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO BOTH OF US. MY NAME IS HONOURABLE MR.MIKEE DOLE A FORMER SENATOR FROM THE RIVERCESS COUNTRY AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL IN LIBERIA. PRESENTLY, I AM TAKING REFUGE IN COTONUE(REP.OF BENIN) LIKE OUR FORMER PRESIDENT CHARLES TAYLOR,THOUGH THE FORMER WAS GRANTED POLITICAL ASSYLUM WHILE WE HAVE BEEN CRAMMED INTO CAMPS TO ESCAPE THE WAR RAVAGING OUR COUNTRY LIBERIA. THE REST OF THE STORY YOU CAN GET FROM THE INTERNATIONAL MEDIA.

HOWEVER, THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO ASK FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE TO SECURE ON MY BEHALF THE SUM OF $9.2 MILLION WHICH IS PRESENTLY IN A FINANCE/SECURITY COMPANY IN EUROPE DEPOSITED AS PERSONAL
EFFECTS. I WOULD LIKE YOU TO SECURE THE MONEY WHICH WE CAN USE FOR INVESTMENT PURPOSE IN YOUR COUNTRY AND ALSO TO HELP ME EMIGRATE TO YOUR COUNTRY AFTER THE TRANSACTION. …

THEREFORE, I WOULD LIKE YOU TO ASSIST ME IN THIS GREAT TIME OF NEED IN ORDER TO SAVE ME FROM MY PRESENT SITUATION. AS SOON AS I RECEIVE YOUR CONFIRMATION OF INTEREST, I SHALL GIVE YOU DETAILS OF HOW TO
PROCEED TO SECURE THE CONSIGNMENT CONTAINING THE MONEY FROM THE FINANCE/SECURITY COMPANY.

PLEASE FORWARD TO ME YOUR TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBERS FOR EASIER COMMUNICATION. WAITING FOR YOUR POSITIVE REPLY.

BEST REGARDS,
HON. MIKEE DOLE

2. My First Response

Dear Mikee:

Surprised! I was flabbergasted!

Yesterday Hilda -- she's my wife -- she says to me Norbert, it's time you joined the 20th century and got yourself one of those new fangled computer machine things. Well sir, I went down to Jerry's Computer Emporium and Wart Removal Clinic and bought me a TI-340 super deluxe 500 gigabyte mini-mainframe personal computer. No sooner did I set up my email account than up pops your message! You could have knocked me over with a feather.

I heard about this Charlie Taylor guy on Leno, and I'm sure glad to help you any way I can. Just tell me what I can do.

Yours truly

Norbert DeFazio

PS: If you get an email from somebody named "Trixie" asking if you know "Rosie Palms", I think its a trick. When you click on her website, it shows you a bunch of pictures of naked women, and asks you to call them on a 900 number, which I did, and all they wanted to talk about was how big Mr. Johnson was getting. I don't know any Mr. Johnson, or any guy named Longfellow, Harry Nuts, Big Willie, or Mr. Stubbie for that matter.

3. Mikee Writes Back

Dear Norbert,

I have acknowledge your mail, and I am glad to say that I will do business with you. But meanwhile, kindly send to me your telephone and fax number immediately so that we can discuss on the way forward to this transaction.

I await to hear from you sooner.

Hon. M. Dole.

4. Norbert has no phone

Dear Mr. Hon

I’d really love to call you, but me and Hilda got rid of our phone when we bought this here new computer thing. Bud Folker, our salesman, said we wouldn’t need it no more, and he was right! Hilda and I spend all our time surfing the web now, and let me tell you sir, there’s a lot to see!!! But some times it can get confusing. Did you know if you hit the wrong key when typing “Home on the Range” it takes you to a gay website, instead of to the lyrics of my favorite song? I ended up spending an hour looking at pictures of some guy in leather pants who seemed to think twelve year old boys need a lot of discipline. I’m not entirely sure what he was doing with that jar of Vaseline and the cage full of gerbils, but I printed out a few pictures to study more closely when Hilda goes to the beauty parlor, and I have more free time to examine them thoroughly.

As for getting rid of the phone, we never got a lot of calls anyway here in Deer Lick Alabama, so we don’t miss it much. Our oldest boy Richard Edward (we call him “Dick Ed” for short) is away at school studying to be a geologist or gynecologist, or something that begins with a “g.” That two year course at Frederick Unger Community College is very demanding, and he doesn’t have a lot of spare time to call home. In fact, whenever we call him at FUCC, he says he’s too busy getting his “rocks off” to talk, so it must be geology he studying.

Anyway, if we’re going to help you with that money problem you mentioned, we’ll have to do it by email. I’m looking forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes,

Norbert DeFazio

5. Mr. Hon thinks he has a live one

Dear Norbert,

Thanks so much for your response, really I am impressed to carry on this business with you no doubt about this.

I'll be glad to let you know that I am making a very serious arrangement with the security company where the consignment containg the money would be transferred to very soon. Also I will want you to send your contact address to me as to enable me send some
documents regarding this consignment containg this money to you.

In addition to this, I will want you to start making arrangement on how you can travel to Holland to keep up the consignment.

Hon. M. Dole.

6. But Norbert doesn’t like to travel

Dear Mr. Hon. M.

Me and Hilda was talking over your last email, and we may have a problem.

Hilda, God love her, retains water like a tank truck and has this little gland problem, which gives her the bloat. Right now she’s pushing 380, which at 4’9 makes her as wide as she is tall. Not that I’m complaining, mind you. I like a woman with a little beef on her ribs, but it does make it difficult to fit her in a airplane seat. We tried it once back in ’97 when we flew to Roanoke to visit her sister Helga in the big city. Not only did the plane list to the left all during our flight, they had to use the jaws of life to pry her loose once we landed.

Since I lost both my legs to the gout, I don’t travel anyplace without Hilda. We bought us a pair of Rascals last Christmas which get us around just fine, except for the time Hilda’s back wheel gave out and we had to call the triple-A to pull her out of the ditch in front of our house. So I was wondering if you could come to Deer Lick instead? We’ve got plenty of room upstairs now that Dick Ed’s off to college. Ruby Sue, our youngest daughter, is reel exited about having you come and stay a spell. She’s a might frisky at times, though, but since the fire we won’t let her near the matches, so there’s really nothing to worry about.

Anyway, let me know when you can come, and we’ll slaughter a chicken so we can have a nice meal waiting for you.

Your new friend,

Norbert

7. “Brother” Mikee replies

Dear Norbert,

My prayers are with you for the terribble tragedies in your life. God pray courage be with you.

Concerning your travelling,there is absolutely nothing to be frightened about. In this regard I will discuss with the diplomat to bring the consignment containing the money to your country. As this is a new and a different arrangement that we are going to make with the courier services you will be required to take care of any expenses as soon as they arrive your country.

On my part here any expenses that shall be made here in this country I will take care of it but, any one they shall make when they arrive your country shall be taken care by you, if this is ok with you, send to me your address where the consignemnt containing the money shall be delivered when they arrive your country as I am going to start making the arrangement with the courier service that will bring the consigment containg the money to your door step.

Also bear in mind that the diplomatic courier service does not know the contain of the consignment as I registered during the time of deposite as personal items, as soon as the arrangement is concluded and I get a possitive response from you, the diplomat will
move immediately to deliver the consignment to you in your country.

Your response matters alot as this will determine if I can continue the business with you or not. Please send the direction on how to come to your house in your next email.

Awaiting your urgent response.

Yours brother,

Hon. Mikee Dole.

8. Bubba Norbert gives directions

Dear Honey Mike:

Hilda and me would be right pleased to have this consignment feller visit us here in Deer Lick.

Directions to my house are a little tricky, though. The closest airport is Beaver Falls, about two hours away, unless you count that landing strip in the piney woods up near the Hollar. We seen them little Cessnas land there every month or so when it’s reel dark and offload a bunch of sugar bags wrapped in plastic. At least I think it’s sugar. One ole boy took a shot at me and my brother Buford when we got too close. I think they was hunters who thought Buford was a Grizley Bear or maybe that Sasquash feller, because he’s big and fat and hairy. He kinda looks like Barbara Boxer without the mustache trim, to give you an idea. It’s a DeFazio family trait, but I have Hilda shave my back and forearms every other Monday, so my hair don’t grow as long as Buford’s.

Anyway, when you get to the airport, take a cab to Gopher Junction, then transfer to a Greyhound bus. Go three stops past the wider Henry’s house, and start walking south. If you come to a shanty about three miles yonder you’ve taken the wrong trail. That’s Bud Hole’s place, and you won’t want to mess with him. He’s been a right sorry cus since the sheriff took away his pet goat and had it tested for STD’s.

You’ll know your on the right trail when you pass by Bertha Lewinsky’s place. She looks a lot like her daughter Monica, except Monica still has all her teeth. I guess it must be those jaw exercises and protein shakes she swears by. She’s been putting on a little weight lately, but like I said before, we like our women meaty here in Deer Lick, and her boyfriend Bill isn’t complaining.

Anyway, let me know what time your consignment feller might be coming by, so Hilda can change the sheets and freshen the lye in the outhouse collecter. Instead of chicken for dinner, would you mind eating some pressed pork instead? One of the hogs got lose and was hit by a truck, and it’s a shame to let a good shank go to waste.

Your bubba,

Norbert

9. Mikee still wants the address

dear norbert,

please i need the actual adress to your house. the money is ready to send you now. please writeback haste.

regards.

m.dole

10. Norbert is tired of playing

Dear Mikee:

My address is 1234 Gofugyerself Ln., Dear Lick, Alabama

Gofugyerself is an old Alabama Indian phrase meaning "How ****ing stupid do you think I am when I get 20 emails a week from some asshole in Nigeria saying they'll give me millions of dollars if I'll send them my bank account information?"

I know you think all Americans are stupid, but we haven’t elected Dean yet, so you might reconsider your fraud perpetration strategy. Give some thought to writing the French. They believe a lot of things that normal human beings find outrageous, so who knows, you might have a chance.

Your newest, bestest friend,

Bubba Norbert

Paul Alciatore
02-27-2004, 01:57 AM
I love it. Wish I had the time to do something that creative.

In my younger years my wife and mother-in-law started selling Amway stuff. I loved it when a salesman came to the door trying to sell something. I would rush him into the living room and go into my pitch for Amway. Wouldn't let up till they begged for mercy. Never saw any of them again. Worked great on those pesky folks who want me to come to their church too.

(Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against religion, any religion and I am in MY church every Sunday.)

Paul A.

Maker
02-27-2004, 02:24 AM
G.A.- ROTFLMAO!!

I get the Nigerian emails a couple of times a week. I was thinking, what about giving the 'penis enlargement' people the Nigerian emailer's addresses? Let them annoy each other http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Alex

Alistair Hosie
02-27-2004, 09:27 AM
My uderstanding is that it's better not to answer these at all.

uncrichie
02-27-2004, 10:32 AM
I didn't get the pay-pal scam but I got the e-bay scam. I received an e-mail message that came from a very good look-a-like ebay site. They said that I had a recent transaction of $15 and they wanted to verify the amount. There was a link from this site to my personal account on e-bay. However I skipped their link and went directly to e-bay to my personal info. Found out I had a balance of $.40. So this obviously was a scam to get my password etc. probably hoping the info was enough to enter a paypal account (not). I guess the lesson to be learned is don't use the links, go directly to the site in question. Uncrichie...

Evan
02-27-2004, 11:20 AM
You got it. NEVER go to a transaction site via a link! Type it in the address bar yourself. Do not copy and paste, either.

wierdscience
02-27-2004, 09:38 PM
GA,love it man!Cept I would have gave them the adress for the FBI in Montgomery http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I always ignore crap from"ebay"unless it is a question from someone or a checkout.If it anything important tell will call or write you.