PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate garage?

hardtail
05-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Gotta be up there........

http://www.youtube.com/v/cps42IRMGFE

justanengineer
05-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Definitely a crazy garage. The elevator puts it over the top by quite a bit.

sid pileski
05-13-2012, 09:51 PM
That is cool, but it's just that, a garage! I saw a couple of tool boxes. No lifts or cool machine tools!
Maybe they are in other parts of the buildings??

Sid

uncle pete
05-13-2012, 09:56 PM
A really awesome garage for sure. Everyones likes and dislikes are obviously different, So I would have stocked it a bit different. But somebody burned him bad on that elevator. That's not even close to anything heavy or high tech with 1960s technology. Computerised or not, A blown hydraulic line or even a seal could jam that so bad you'll need to disassemble it to make it work again. Not that there's anything wrong with old paintings, But it is nice to see someone blow large bucks on a "That would be really cool" item. I'm envious.

But where are his machine tools? There's not a Monarch EE in sight.

Pete

RussZHC
05-13-2012, 10:20 PM
"Garage", yeh, right.

I've developed a "strong dislike" for people like the owner, same vein as a few of those top end buyers at Barret Jackson (car auctions), endless amounts of money, purchase and then lock it away so no one else can access (as opposed to those who buy for museum collections where at least someone like me has a chance to see such rarities).

toyjeep73
05-13-2012, 10:50 PM
I store crap in a "shed" and I work in the "garage." That is the biggest shed I have ever seen.

What is the point in having 8-12 of the same motorcycle ... unlimited money or not? :confused:

Doc Nickel
05-13-2012, 11:10 PM
The coolest garage is still the one in Iron Man.

Plenty of room, but not so huge it's a half-day's walk to retrieve a tool, mostly concrete so chips and welding slag aren't an issue, there's a sink/fridge/drink cooler at one end, and a pretty fair representation of tooling. (Skipping the waldoes and built-in AI, you could still see a tire changer, lathe, Bridgeport mill, Clausing drill press, Lincoln MIG, at least two big Snap-On or MAC boxes, a flammables/paint cabinet, parts washer, at least two big work tables, a gas torch set, a desk with a full CAD suite, etc. etc.)

If I had the cash to build my own "ultimate shop", I'd print out a couple dozen screen grabs of the movie, hand 'em to an architect and say "build me one of those". :D

Doc.

John Stevenson
05-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Watched the video and to be honest it left me cold.
Didn't see anything collectable in that lot, just a storage unit for some WWII bikes and a greyhound bus.

Davo J
05-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Watched the video and to be honest it left me cold.
Didn't see anything collectable in that lot, just a storage unit for some WWII bikes and a greyhound bus.

LOL,
It looks like the house and storage buildings where set up for tours, maybe thats why he has the bus, to pick up customers, LOL

Someone had a lot of money and just wanted to impress.
Who would want to watch TV while looking at the cars or bus underground.

On the other hand, I could fill that under ground space with machinery and have the lift to load them in on trailers.:D

Dave

aboard_epsilon
05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Like i said the other day "software engineer"

does not get his hands dirty

bet he has a couple of guys working there just to polish things

another couple to do the machanical jobs

a manicureist for his nails
somebody to trim his goaty every day ....

all the best.markj

Your Old Dog
05-14-2012, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't want it if you gave it to me. My wife would have it so full of crap it would take years to clean it out. I'd like to build her her own building. It would be small but it would have a huge doorway. Everything she stores gets put by the doorway!

That collection of bikes will be priceless in for his great, great, great grandchildren.......if we aren't forced to run on a different fuel by then :D

bob308
05-14-2012, 09:46 AM
liked the bikes was let down with the cars. i expected to see a cobra vette and other supercars from the 60's maybe even some euorpean stuff.

MrFluffy
05-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I've thought about things like that in the past on a smaller scale, but to give me more space to park things in my then shed, and mine involved a two post hydraulic car lift split apart and bolted to two walls.

What really struck me on watching the video, is once his RV is in there, there's no space to move anything else around! so he obviously doesnt have space to park it in there full time. Needs to be a bit bigger for his needs I think!

If we had the money we'd do it differently, but the reason the guy probably has the money is he was so single minded at what he did, he never learned about how to fix things or make things, just focused on that.
There's always too many interesting thing to learn to focus on one thing that makes money, so we stay poor in money, but rich in experiences...

If I do however become a multi-milionaire by accident I'm off to buy a decomissioned missile silo in the USA as one of my second homes. Easy to secure, no neighbors, no noise issues, huge hydraulic lifting platform as standard and quake proof. They are the ultimate workshops :)

hardtail
05-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Makes you wonder whats behind door #2-5 in the upper garages, I agree the vehicles down below were boring and way too sterile........

nitsuj
05-14-2012, 05:10 PM
I'd be willing to bet he has much nicer cas in the part of the garage they didn't show. The show was about the room, no his collection, so they probably left them out purposely So as to not detract from the garage itself.

I thought the bike collection was a shame. Maybe I'm jaded from spending so many years working in a Harley dealer, but that was no collection. It was just brand new bikes, mostly from one specific year. Add to that, they were mostly 2003 anniversary editions, the one bike almost guaranteed to never be of much value. A guy with his means would be much better served by a collection of rare old restorations. Harley, Indian, Ducati, Bimota, Benelli, Triumph... The list goes on. A collection of various bikes, to me, if I had his money, would be far more valuable than just walking into a dealer and buying every model of one brand in me year.

But, that's just me.

hardtail
05-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Well he talks about motorcycles being the ultimate experience of all your senses then in the next sentence claims to have never started some......seems a shame, but I don't think hes the dragbike type?

sasquatch
05-14-2012, 06:28 PM
These type of videos are , well, just about a guy with piles of money, that hires everything done.

I bet that guy doesn't even own a set of wrenches, even a basic household tool kit.

JoeLee
05-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Like i said the other day "software engineer"

bet he has a couple of guys working there just to polish things

another couple to do the machanical jobs

a manicureist for his nails
somebody to trim his goaty every day ....

all the best.markj

What mechanical jobs???? nothing ever gets used.

JL...............

MrFluffy
05-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Well he talks about motorcycles being the ultimate experience of all your senses then in the next sentence claims to have never started some......seems a shame, but I don't think hes the dragbike type?
If he was, there'd be open canabalized motors everywhere, machinery, bins of shrapnel from that last accidental blow up and he'd be poor.
Disclaimer, I'm preparing a funnybike for 2013 and already the poverty has arrived, and I'm doing all the machine work and crank rebuild etc myself!

Mcgyver
05-15-2012, 08:47 AM
"

j

it think he got his hands dirty. He was behind commerce one...he's maybe just a tad more respectable than fastow or madoff. Ought to be ashamed to parade like that

Willy
05-15-2012, 09:23 AM
I never thought that I would feel sorry for a rich guy, but this fellow gets my vote.

He's spent his life focused on software engineering, and he's admittedly been very successful in that venture. I'll give him that.

But now after a lifetime of grinding his nose on the wheel of fortune his dream garage is not only sterile but uninspireing...it has no sole. It is totally devoid of the feeling and vibrancy that a garage/shop should exude.
It has all the exclusivity and spirit of a glass door knob.

Perhaps in his retirement he will be able to reclaim some of the lost years that so many here take for granted, as I'm sure I'd rather be in the shops of some here than his as it now stands.