PDA

View Full Version : O.T Ride on Mower Tyres

David S Newman
05-17-2012, 12:49 PM
I've had a ride on mower now for about two years and am forever breaking the seals on the front tubeless tyres when I go round a bend, instant flat, I keep them to correct pressure to no avail. Should I have tubes put in or any other ideas ?? David

lakeside53
05-17-2012, 12:52 PM
I had similar problems in the rough. Fit tubes or replace with solid tires. I'd like to think there are better tubeless tires available, but...

PTSideshow
05-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Had somebody bring one with the same sort of problem, only they would also go flat if they wiggled the wheel sharply on straight. If it is used, and new to you go to the makers web site and look up the manual to make sure that the tires are the correct size. Dia and width as the fractional of inches difference can cause problems. That is what the problem was the previous owner was cheap and got the atomic bomb hand grenade tires "close enough", but they weren't seems the maker had special one of a kind wheels available only from them. Was cheaper to buy new rims and tires than the factory tires. as the axles were standard hole sized.

You can try a higher pressure and see if that works. As harder tires won't make to much difference at the speed on it's ride! :D

firbikrhd1
05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
There are companies that fill tires with foam. That may be a good answer; no more flats, no checking air pressure and no air release if the bead separates momentarily.

Bill Pace
05-17-2012, 01:19 PM
I put tubes in them at the first flat (after checking for anything sticking in) Lawn mowers, wheelbarrows, utility carts, etc.

aboard_epsilon
05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
had to show this :D

http://inhabitat.com/files/mowercycle23.jpg

all the best.markj

Bob Fisher
05-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Looks to be an easy way over the handlebars to me! Although, you might not be able to get up to a speed that would throw you. Interesting nevertheless. Bob.

EVguru
05-18-2012, 05:51 AM
I've had a ride on mower now for about two years and am forever breaking the seals on the front tubeless tyres when I go round a bend, instant flat, I keep them to correct pressure to no avail. Should I have tubes put in or any other ideas ?? David

Do the rims have a hump in the profile just inboard of the bead seat?

If they don't, they're not designed for tubless tyres.

Run tubes, or even tubes plus 'safety bolts' clamps designed to hold the tyre bead in place even at very low pressures.

bborr01
05-18-2012, 09:32 AM
How old are the tires?

I have found that some tires stretch when they get old and won't hold a seal very good.

My 30 year old Troybilt tiller and similarly old wheelbarrow both had the same problem. A few tubes and have not had a problem since. (that has been a few years now)

The tires had little wear or weathering as they are most always indoors and new tubes were a lot less $ than new tires.

Brian

PTSideshow
05-18-2012, 10:20 AM
As to Mark's photo, bike mower JC Penneys dept. store is running a current add on the telly that has a guy using one at the start of the commercial.
Nice idea if your grass is nice and flat, lumping ground might be a problem!:D

David S Newman
05-18-2012, 12:01 PM
How old are the tires?

I have found that some tires stretch when they get old and won't hold a seal very good.

My 30 year old Troybilt tiller and similarly old wheelbarrow both had the same problem. A few tubes and have not had a problem since. (that has been a few years now)

The tires had little wear or weathering as they are most always indoors and new tubes were a lot less $ than new tires.

Brian

The tyres are about 2 years old as fitted to the mower when I bought it. When I reinflate they will stay up to pressure OK whilst the thing is parked in my garage, but always know I'm likely to get a front flat going round a tight bend on my lawn then out comes the compressor. Think I'll have tubes fitted. David

Mike Burdick
05-18-2012, 06:39 PM
As suggested, install a tube. I had a 3-Point hay rake that had the problem you described and the tube was the solution.

oldtiffie
05-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Over 40+ years here I've had three ride on mowers. The first two were "Simplicity" and "Toro" both of which had a conventional steering wheel and linkages and because of the relatively large turing circles I had no problem with either losing the front tyre to rim seals and both had split wheels so changing a tyre of repairing or replacing a front wheel tyre of tube was a "do at home" job - easy.

The new mower front end is an entirely different mattetr. It is a 19HP "Husquana" (sp?) "zero turn" mower where power is delivered to the rear wheels independently by a hydraulic motor on each rear wheel. The front wheels have - and need - heavy duty castors. The mower can turn in its own length by controlling the rear wheel speeds independently via two steering levers which independently control the rear wheel speed and direction. The motor runs at a constant high speed.

There is a very big load on the front wheel castors and the wheels and tryes the harder I travel and/or steer right or left - it really shows up on the rear wheels where the "knobby" tyres bite into and tear up the grass/turf so there a lot of side thrust on those front wheel rims and tyres.

The rims are "one piece" (ie not bolted together or "split") with tyre grooves like a car or pick-up and need similar gear to getting a car or pick-up tyre on and off - as I found out when I punctured a tyre.

New tyres are tubeless but repaired tyres have tubes inserted - just in case.

I have never had a sign of the front or rear tyres losing their air seals.

terry_g
05-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I had the same problem with an old mower I picked up at a garage sale a couple years ago.
Tires kept coming off the bead and would not hold air for more than a day.
I solved it using butyl tape. I deflated the tires and pushed the tire back from the rim and stretched
a 1/8" diameter strip around the rim between the rim and the tires bead then inflated the tires to recommended pressure..
They have not given a problem since.

Terry

Carld
05-19-2012, 06:19 PM
I have tubeless tires on my riding mower but they don't go down in turns. The problem I have it it pushes in turns and slides out of the corners then I have trouble getting back in the groove. I am considering changing the camber so the tires lean more into the turns and using a different composition tire.

I did try lowering the pressure but it rolled the tires off the rims like yours are doing.

My neighbor suggested cutting the grass a little slower but I hate cutting grass but I do like racing. He then suggested entering the corner slower and coming out under power to break the rear loose to get in the groove.

cameron
05-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Carld,

Don't listen to your neighbor. You gotta up the speed, break the rear end loose as you enter the corner and hold the drift as you go around.

Dave Cameron

MrFluffy
05-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah but then your into wheelie territory if anything catches :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUzBgKZkmew

Thats actually me making a hash of cutting the grass with that poor old tractor.

The kids have a old john deer sit on mower with the cutting deck taken off they use for a quick play round the garden on when they've been good and Ive got time to oversee, and we had to put tubed tyres in that, with the antics of my lad flat out on the bumpy part rolling them off the bead.