PDA

View Full Version : Compute Crash Need Help!

flylo
05-17-2012, 11:16 PM
I have HP Laptop running IE Vista with McAfee anti virus. Got a message a Trogan was detected but stopped & everything OK. Then I lost all my windows & got several read/write errors & a S,M.A.R.T. Repair box. Thought this was the trojan so I left it alone & called McAfee who told me for $89.95 they will remove the Trojan. I ran a McAfee scan after all this which says my computer is fine. It won't log on, most of my icons are gone,It doesn't have a safe start zone anymore. I told McAfee it as there software that let this in, talked to 2 people, screamed at the 3rd. It's like buying car insurance then having a problem & them wanting $5K to fix the car? I will be happy to get my favorites back. Can anyone help with this. I'm using a 7" netbook.:mad:

bobw53
05-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Safe mode, Malwarebytes, maybe a restore, then use an anitvirus that doesn't suck.

gcude
05-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Malwarebytes has found/fixed some of these for me. Combofix has fixed some as well. There are also a couple of registration codes around on the net to actually register the fake software and then you can uninstall it. Not fun, but it is defeatable. Good luck.

bborr01
05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Flylo,

I don't have any easy answers for you aside from a complete re-boot of the system to original.

There is one tip that I would like to share regarding favorites though.
Save your favorites in google bookmarks or yahoo bookmarks. That way they are available anywhere, anytime, on any computer just by logging in. If your computer crashes and burns, you still have your favorites.

Brian

aboard_epsilon
05-19-2012, 10:49 AM
system restore

go back to before the virus date.

while you are there ..mark the virus date as that .,or it could rebuild your virus in future ...
when comp is running well ..and you're happy .......create a restore point ...........delete all other restore points ..

if this does not fix the problem ..you need to re-install vista

all the best.markj

customcutter
05-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Flylo,

I don't have any easy answers for you aside from a complete re-boot of the system to original.

There is one tip that I would like to share regarding favorites though.
Save your favorites in google bookmarks or yahoo bookmarks. That way they are available anywhere, anytime, on any computer just by logging in. If your computer crashes and burns, you still have your favorites.

Brian

Brian:

How do you do that. I've often thought of a crash and losing My Favorites. But don't know how to save it anywhere. I did click on my favorites and then on each folder if I right click there is a send to feature?

thanks,
Ken

lakeside53
05-19-2012, 11:21 AM
if this does not fix the problem ..you need to re-install vista

If it comes to that I'd take the opportunity to dump that pig and upgrade to Win7; it's like a getting a new laptop!

danlb
05-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I have HP Laptop running IE Vista with McAfee anti virus. Got a message a Trogan was detected but stopped & everything OK. Then I lost all my windows & got several read/write errors & a S,M.A.R.T. Repair box. :

If you are getting read/write and SMART errors the disk is going bad. That COULD be imitated by a trojan, but does not seem to be likely. If the disk is dying it's time to replace it and have a pro salvage what they can from the dying disk.

Don't be surprised if they can not get much off it.

Dan

flylo
05-19-2012, 01:16 PM
I took it a shop that says for $75 they can fix it. I'm using my 7" ASUS linux based tiny thing I hate it. Anyone know where I can get free anti-virus softwre for linux?

wendtmk
05-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Google for ClamAV or AVG for Linux.

Mark

MrFluffy
05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I took it a shop that says for $75 they can fix it. I'm using my 7" ASUS linux based tiny thing I hate it. Anyone know where I can get free anti-virus softwre for linux?
No, because the same concept of virus's hasn't taken hold in the linux world therefore there isn't a strong need for one. There are a few worms now and again but keeping the distro updated (almost all update automatically) patches against them.

The clamav and other linux antiviruses are for linux SERVERS, to inspect mail as it passes through them to catch the virii before it arrives in the inbox of the windows computers connected to it. Or to inspect the windows installs on dual boot machines.

bborr01
05-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Brian:

How do you do that. I've often thought of a crash and losing My Favorites. But don't know how to save it anywhere. I did click on my favorites and then on each folder if I right click there is a send to feature?

thanks,
Ken

Ken,

You need a google account or a yahoo account. (there are probably others as well)

Go to google and set up a free google account. Then download the google toolbar. Then when you want to save a favorite site, you just click on bookmarks to open up the bookmarks menu, then click on "bookmark this page". I have been using it for years and it works well.

The reason that we changed to google bookmarks was that when we went to Arizona several years ago for the winter our laptop crashed and we lost all of the favorites. So I talked to my IT guy about coming up with a program that was net based like google bookmarks. He told me I was too late and pointed me towards google bookmarks.

It also works great if you end up at a library or are using someone else's computer. Just log on and surf. Hope this helps.

Brian

customcutter
05-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Ken,

You need a google account or a yahoo account. (there are probably others as well)

Go to google and set up a free google account. Then download the google toolbar. Then when you want to save a favorite site, you just click on bookmarks to open up the bookmarks menu, then click on "bookmark this page". I have been using it for years and it works well.

The reason that we changed to google bookmarks was that when we went to Arizona several years ago for the winter our laptop crashed and we lost all of the favorites. So I talked to my IT guy about coming up with a program that was net based like google bookmarks. He told me I was too late and pointed me towards google bookmarks.

It also works great if you end up at a library or are using someone else's computer. Just log on and surf. Hope this helps.

Brian

Brian:

Thanks, I have google toolbar but not sure if I have a google account. I'll do that.

Ken

wendtmk
05-21-2012, 09:17 AM
No, because the same concept of virus's hasn't taken hold in the linux world therefore there isn't a strong need for one. There are a few worms now and again but keeping the distro updated (almost all update automatically) patches against them.

The clamav and other linux antiviruses are for linux SERVERS, to inspect mail as it passes through them to catch the virii before it arrives in the inbox of the windows computers connected to it. Or to inspect the windows installs on dual boot machines.

There is an increasing need for antivirus software in the *nix world. As Linux becomes more and more popular for home desktop and laptop users, it's getting increased scrutiny by the hackers and virus writers. Perhaps you've heard of "root kits"? That's introduced by either a virus or a trojan, and does affect *nix operating systems. Having the current patches and updates does help, but it's still a good idea to run antivirus software on all machines, regardless of the OS.

The ClamAV and AVG are not for just Linux servers. They also work for regular old linux workstations and laptops. Some of the Linux anti-virus software have plugins for email clients also. I run ClamAV on my Ubuntu 12.04 workstation here at work, and regularly scan the machine. I've also run AVG on other Linux workstations too.

Mark

lazlo
05-21-2012, 09:40 AM
most of my icons are gone,It doesn't have a safe start zone anymore.

The desktop icons are missing because the trojan corrupted your user profile.
You can create a new one, but it's not a simple process.

The trojan probably faked the SMART errors -- it was a popup at boot time, right?

Like Bob said: boot into safe mode, scan the hell out of the machine with malware bytes (trojans and root kits) plus a good online virus scanner (Eset, Kaspersky, ...). Then save off any critical data you don't want to lose.

At that point, restore from your OEM disks.

Although your icons are gone, the apps are still there (Windows icon->All Programs->...), and you should be able to save your bookmarks.

aboard_epsilon
05-21-2012, 10:46 AM
when macphee fixed his computer for $89.95 ...did they use remote access and use system restore.....hense his icons have gone because they rolled back his computer to an earlier date.

all the best.markj

flylo
05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I didn't pay McAfee to fix it, I took it o a local place. I could not open in safe mode or hook up with the router. I hope to get it back tomorrow because by then I'll be blind from this 7" screen. I remember Mom tolld me something about if I kept doing something I'd go blind. She was right!