PDA

View Full Version : badly oxidized aluminum grille question

davidh
05-18-2012, 05:02 PM
i "binged" the phrase, got a cople of hits that said to start with oven cleaner.. well, thats sounds pretty much ok except for the scrubbing part. . .

this is a webber propane grille, cast aluminum body and cover, and a removable sheet metal underneath..

ive replaced all the steel crossbars above the three burners and the gratesare nearly new, at least they still have enamel or porclen (sp) on them but the main body inside and out is all white and cruddy looking.

hi temp paint will cover it after its a bunch cleaner but what else have any of you guys tried for cleaning. . . this thing was fairly spendy when it was new and throwing away is not an option.

best to ask the masses before forging ahead with an unknown.

lazlo
05-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Hydrofluoric acid works great as an aluminum cleaner/brightener. Yes, it's dangerous at normal concentrations, but a dilute version is available over the counter to clean aluminum boats and trailers.

I bought a Bader belt grinder (aluminum chassis) that was badly oxidized. I bought "Mag Wheel cleaner", which is dilute hydroflouric acid, and it ate the white crusty oxidation right off. If you leave it on too long, it will turn the aluminum white so experiment with soak times.

It's tough on skin, so wear gloves.

Boucher
05-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Scotch-Brite, Clean & Strip, EZ Strip wheels in sizes from 2” to 4 1/2". There is some aluminum cleaner made for Pontoon boats. I have also been considering one of the Harbor Freight sand blast units for things that won’t fit in the blast cabinet.