PDA

View Full Version : I welded my nuts

armedandsafe
05-18-2012, 08:10 PM
That title should spur some wise-A remarks. :D

For those who remember the last post I made on this, I made the jump. I took some samples over to #3idiotson to experiment, and it looked as if it would work. So, while in the big city for a graduation and great-grandsons' birthday celebrations, I stopped by HF and bought the little 90 amp flux-wire welder. $109 before taxes. I bought the plain black auto-dark helmet. $49 before taxes. I got the gloves for about $10 before tax.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=53793

Having never done welding of any type before, it took me 5 tries to get my first pair of welds. I dimpled the edges of the nuts at the center of opposing flats. I learned to make contact with the wire before pulling the trigger. I learned that minimum setting on the welder (70 amps) works just fine. I learned that a wire feed of about 5 (out of 10) works well. I learned that one MUST remember the gloves. ;) I learned that the instinctive jump back when the spark starts is not the right way to handle it.

This weekend, I will be experimenting with welding the washers in place and with using a spacer between the nuts rather than milling the 0.035" x 0.750 grove across the face of one of the nuts.

This procedure will save me MAPP fuel, silver solder, time and appearance. I figure 8 bottles of MAPP, and the silver solder, will pay for the welder and helmet. That is about 3 production runs. As I expect to have to produce 6 to 10 runs this year, it will be worth it. It looks like it will save about 20 minutes per piece in production time. Two pounds of wire costs less than a couple of ounces of silver solder. If the spacer idea works, that will save another 20 minutes per piece.

Thank you all for the help in getting this far along.

Pops

sasquatch
05-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Interesting post Pops,, hope your'e planning keeps working out for you.

I'm a little slow this evening, friday night, yawn,,, at comming up with a good comment about the subject posted. lol:D

customcutter
05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
I had done a very little bit of welding with a buzz box, but a couple of years ago I found a small Lincoln wire welder new in the box for <$200 so I bought it. Then I upgraded to the auto darkening helmet for HF on sale. After using up a couple of 2# rolls, I found a 10# roll at HD, it's cheaper per lb, and also saves the hassle of threading the wire, etc. It works very well, just doesn't have a very good "duty" cycle. But I only use it for light stuff so it suits my needs. My most common mistake is not having it "hot" enough for good penetration. They are great to have around.

Ken

flylo
05-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Those UK guys did too with VEET! LOL :D
I have lots of welders & that little HF works great for what it is. When you buy more wire get nae brand & see how much better you like it.;)
I just bought one for my son as they had a $79 sale & $35-20% on the helmet. How can you beat that & it runs off any recept or even the generator on the Lincoln stick welder generator or I guess an inverter & the truck. Pretty handy for the price!

kd4gij
05-19-2012, 01:59 AM
That title should spur some wise-A remarks. :D
Pops

I hate when that happens :eek:

oil mac
05-19-2012, 12:28 PM
I bet it was damned sore Hope there is no lasting damage!:eek:

Carld
05-19-2012, 04:27 PM
:eek: damn I bet that hurt. Will there be any lasting effects?

Is that a good comeback?