PDA

View Full Version : supplier of round nose screws?

TRX
05-19-2012, 04:06 PM
I have a project that requires several 8-36 round nose screws. They look like dog-nose Allen set screws, except with a round end.

Using a file and faking it with a dog nose screw isn't really practical in this case, since the screws contact inclined planes for fine adjustment.

Since I don't have a ball-turning rig, I thought, "even though it's not common, I've seen similar screws before, someone must make them." And even buying a box of 100 would be okay unless they were made of citibankium.

So I turned to Google, which seems to be having one of its fits where it ignores quoted text between quotation marks, and insists on returning hits on round nose ammunition and jewelry for pierced noses. I'm not sure how "round nose screw" fits into either category, but strange and wondrous are the ways of Google when it's in one of its moods. Well, Bing and Yahoo return the same results, but it's "pick on Google" day.

Anyone know of a source for 8-32 ball nose set screws?

If not, I might experiment with spot-welding a ball bearing of appropriate diameter to a regular set screw.

TGTool
05-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Sorry, no help with a source of round nosed screws, but I've made screw for a similar use by drilling a small counterbore and using loctite to keep the ball in place. It can be just a drill of the ball size or a slight clearance, and the regular 118 degree end is just fine so no modifications of anything other than the screw are needed.

DaveR
05-19-2012, 05:16 PM
You specified 8-36 early in your message and 8-32 later. McMaster-Carr has 8-32 "oval point" set screws (but not 8-36).

http://www.mcmaster.com/#set-screws/=hluhs0

Dave

TRX
05-19-2012, 05:31 PM
You specified 8-36 early in your message and 8-32 later. McMaster-Carr has 8-32 "oval point" set screws (but not 8-36).

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. I just checked the print and it's actually 8-48. That's what I get for not looking it up when I typed the original message...

Ron of Va
05-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Are you talking about Button Headed Cap Screws?
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=942098&PMAKA=432-0024

TRX
05-19-2012, 06:52 PM
No, socket head set screws with a hemispherical end instead of a cup or "dog" (cylindrical) point.

Clevelander
05-19-2012, 10:10 PM
I'd get out my dremel tool and just grind a small round into a tool bit and use that to cut a consistent round on your screws. Hope that works for you.