PDA

View Full Version : New Gas Can..... POS

JoeLee
05-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Here is how I managed to elevate my blood pressure this morning.
My father goes out an buys a new gas can.......... I had a feeling what he was going to come back with because there really isn't any good old gas cans out there any more. When I saw this thing....... it was like , bring this POS back.
Well, he already had it filled with gas. Now he's trying to figure out how to get the gas to pour out the spout. Come to find out you have to depress the green collar and give it a twist in order to get the gas to pour out. Horrible fitting plastic parts........ the spout leaked gas all over the place around the collar, not to mention it started to pour out before you even got the spout into the hole of the tank. What ever happened to flex spouts??? What an absolute piece of crap. I poured the gas out into some other containers and told him to take this POS back and get a refund. He goes back to the store....... they tell him they can't take a gas can back once it has had gas in it but they refunded his money any way after he bitched and hollered and told them well...... it's a gas can what did you expect me to put in it??

JL..................

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac317/JoeLee09/POS%20Gas%20Can/Image001.jpg
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac317/JoeLee09/POS%20Gas%20Can/Image002.jpg

Tamper84
05-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I dont like them either. My grandparents are always going to flea markets, I tell my grandfather to pick me up the old Army gas cans. Love those things.

Mike Burdick
05-20-2012, 05:50 PM
...there really isn't any good old gas cans out there any more...
That's sure the truth! I have one of these but it has its shortcomings too.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/Ji5RJLpofjdfZ-zk1Tm_4PDiNfn673-WHW6w_DTUd_W7apD-hFfEy7uCqecz6YeUmGc76wr0kPZ26p2gb2y9kragyf2kvm16Hl ZJ8zu9u_rHVdpttuGnWDabXsn_Hrezdx4QATquT2wtlKfZYx_n m-bD08fydws

dave5605
05-20-2012, 05:53 PM
You think that's bad. You should see the 'old' GI gas can look a likes all the auto parts stores, and even offroad places are carrying. Steel can but same kind of plastic contraptions and lid to try and prevent evaporation and contamination of the atmosphere. ratchet locks, safety this, safety that, ugh. makes me want to kick the full can over and say @#$% it. But with gas at close to $4 a gallon I can't afford to dump $20 in the driveway.

I'd like to cram the damn can up some environmentalist's you know what. I haven't been able to find the old flex steel spouts or the steel caps that fit the hole in the GI style cans anywhere. Online or locally.

firbikrhd1
05-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Thank all the environmentalists and "make it safe for any moron to operate" types for the government regulation that made your can what it is. While you can still find steel cans it's nearly impossible to find new simple gas cans with a screw on top and simple open pour spout.

armedandsafe
05-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Found a few, some on back order.

http://www.ima-usa.com/british-marked-jerry-gas-petrol-can-genuine-military-issue.html
http://store.colemans.com/cart/gerry-can-nato-p-908.html?currency=USD
http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/reproduction-jerry-gas-can-p12552.aspx
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZBQ1412-1.html

Pops

lakeside53
05-20-2012, 06:29 PM
I have 6 Blitz 5 gallon Steel "jerry cans" for my generator. Blitz will not sell the replacement flexible (or any) spouts for these cans - no longer legal.

I bought a "Blitz style" Chinese flexible spout from Ebay - the "chrome" rusted in 3 days and it leaks from the crimped end.

Guess I'lll be making my own.

Steelspinner76
05-20-2012, 06:53 PM
Yep I tossed the ecodon'tworkleaksgaspieceofs**t top and made one out of steel tubing. lo and behold it doesn't spill gas all over the ground. Imagine that.

Wayne

The Artful Bodger
05-20-2012, 07:10 PM
I have one of these:-

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/27/213816727.jpg

Works well and does not leak.:)

tlfamm
05-20-2012, 07:13 PM
@Steelspinner76:

" ...lo and behold it doesn't spill gas all over the ground. Imagine that."

(snort)

I threw my citizen-safety spout away as well. Funnel works fine - just have to remember to carry it around ...

kbertoson
05-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Artful Bodger, I have one of those cans also. The one I have was made in Sebring, Florida. Sold as the Sebring can. I am guessing produced during the 1960's early 1970's. I worked for an aircraft engine overhaul shop at the Sebring Airport. They were made there. The production rights and press and dies were sold off and moved around 1977 or 1978. The shop had the can half s all over the place. We used them for parts trays. Yes a very good can.

CCWKen
05-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah, those new cans are fine and dandy if you need to put gas in a push mower but try filling a dozer or big tractor. :eek: Hoisting cans up shoulder-height is hard enough without having to mess with levers, switches, knobs and do-hickies too. All mine are the old type. Some with the flexible in-can spout and some with just a nozzle and a cork. All have a vent hole plugged with a screw when needed. :cool:

sasquatch
05-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Agree wholeheartily with all the above negative comments about these newer cans. JUST plain stupidity in design!!

Too bad as Sceptor used to be a decent product.

I have half a dozen of the old style red plastic cans,, then the stupid do-gooders redesigned the caps so the new plastic caps are metric?? thread.

I have a boxfull of the old style caps i scrounged from the landfill over the years that i hope will last me for quite awhile.

toyjeep73
05-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the future. :mad:

Clevelander
05-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Government involvment. I've bought 5 gas cans and I can't use the spout on any of them. Talk about working against your goal. Now almost every time I go to fill gas I end up spilling it.

Mcgyver
05-20-2012, 10:28 PM
if gas cans aren't enough what gets me steamed is also gas can regulating SOB's in Ottawa and Washington are there on MY (and your) dollar! Its not just crappy gas cans, there is a huge economic drag to all these rules and regulations, the endless meetings, drafts, committess, reports, reviews etc....this is where our tax dollars go - you're paying for all of this

jep24601
05-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah, those new cans are fine and dandy if you need to put gas in a push mower.....
Well I put the spout of mine in the filler hole of my push mower with the spout hook over the filler rim. turned the collar so the notches lined up. and then pushed down to dispense the gas (except it's a five gallon can and pretty much goes down by itself). Trouble is you are blocking the filler hole so you can't see where you are up to. Gas suddenly spurts out everywhere, all over my gloves, sprayed on my clothes, about a half gallon all over the lawnmower. Where's the guy who invented this piece of malarkey?

gcude
05-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Well I put the spout of mine in the filler hole of my push mower with the spout hook over the filler rim. turned the collar so the notches lined up. and then pushed down to dispense the gas (except it's a five gallon can and pretty much goes down by itself). Trouble is you are blocking the filler hole so you can't see where you are up to. Gas suddenly spurts out everywhere, all over my gloves, sprayed on my clothes, about a half gallon all over the lawnmower. Where's the guy who invented this piece of malarkey?

This is my picking bone as well. Supposed to trap vapors, but I have spilled far more gasoline since these "defective" fixes have appeared and they are wasting a resource and causing even more vapors and liquids to escape.

Black_Moons
05-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Ahhhh, I bought a new gas can recently, I saw those on the shelfs and wondered if those where what americans where complaining about. What a crappy design I tried to use it for 5 minutes in the store and couldn't figure out how to operate it. (maybe I didn't use enough force? I didn't want to break the crappy plastic)

What you need to do is come to canada. we have recently invented a BETTER gas can!

http://comps.canstockphoto.com/can-stock-photo_csp0863015.jpg

three major advancements in gascanology have been achived with this revolutionary design

First, Note the lack of the annoying air vent cap to loose. Thats because its built into the spout. the spout also has a proper gasket around it to SEAL the damn can both to the spout and when closed. They DON'T LEAK! at all!

Second, Note the handle, it extends to a 45 degree position behind the gas can so you actualy can hold the gas can in a tiped position!

Third: With the air vent being built into the spout, All you have to do is insert the spout to the level you want the gasoline and wait for the flow to stop! No overfilling! no worrys! no checking the gas level! Just pour and wait for the noise to stop. Then just tip the gas can back and remove the flexable spout, Not a droped lost.

Note: after about 2 years, one spout developed a crack. Oh well, $5 for a replacement.

Also note these don't fit standard gas cans, but as gas cans here are less then $20 for a good size one.. I have started throwing my old cans out that I can't find spouts and such for.

PS: the spout on the picture is upside down, the smaller hose should be on top.

sasquatch
05-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Just a little tip i discovered when i was living "Off Grid" and needed to store cans of gas for the winter, in case i couldn't get out for awhile:

I had a number of cans people had tossed, (the old style ones that the new metric thread caps wouldn't fit.)

I cut about a 2 inch length of used rad hose, clamped it to the neck with a hose clamp, (Can;t remember the dia,) then discovered that a plastic pipe cap sold in plumbing stores was a real "Snug" fit over the end of the rad hose.

This worked great for storing cans of gasoline, and was also easy to pour, from cans that no longer had caps available.
Used to have around 8 of these on hand over the winter months.

JoeLee
05-20-2012, 11:38 PM
I'll bet that the morons that put togather these new gas can regulations and designs never put gas in a lawn mower in their life.
I have at least a half dozen cans all with broken plastic spouts or cracked caps, no two are alike nor will interchange. I think what I'll do is look around for some metal goosneck tubing and make a couple caps for my better metal cans.

JL..................

WCPenney
05-21-2012, 12:06 AM
I found a 5 gal plastic can with a straight 45 deg. push spout that actually works. I can hold it upside down and the nozzle seals will hold. I haven't been able to find another one since. Someone must have discovered that they work and discontinued them.

I don't like metal cans. One scratch inside and the rust starts. I've etched and coated them, but it's really more work that it's worth unless it's a purpose made tank that has to fit into/onto something.

I think the best setup is a flat plastic outboard tank with a large fill cap and good O-ring vent screw. I use the primer bulb to pull a siphon and added a clear fuel filter, brass shutoff valve and a short piece of brass tube for a nozzle. Works great for filling the mower, tractors, etc from a shelf.

the4thseal
05-21-2012, 12:17 AM
I have the exact same offending gas can as in the first pick in this thread.i live in California and it is the equivalent of the assault can. We can't have semi autos because we should be wearing diapers and eating baby food. This can drives me nuts. I am going to go to Arizona to get some real gas cans, if they had the pacific ocean I would move.

Bill736
05-21-2012, 12:38 AM
I agree with the above complaints on modern gas cans. Another complaint I have about the filler neck designs is that they are not inherently rain drip proof as were most of the older style cans. If the filler neck collar is not tightened down hard, rain water can seep into the can. If the collar is tightened down , there's no venting, and the can will blow up like a balloon in the hot weather, and collapse inward in cold weather. If you try to use the push spout while there's pressure in the can without venting it first, it will blow gas all over you and your mower. When I buy a new gas can, I drill a vent hole opposite the filler neck, and use a golf Tee as a removable vent plug.
Lately, I don't even try to use the new filler spouts. I just use a funnel .

the4thseal
05-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Bill- be careful, do not delude yourself into believing you can think and solve your problems without our governments help.

flylo
05-21-2012, 01:34 AM
For the small stuff I bought a used like new 14 gal can on wheels forr fueling boats. It has a long hose you can pump the lever but I put an air valve & put about 15psi & it works just like the station. Pull the handle gas comes out, release it stops. It's light,handy, has wheels & a handle & works great & yes I have a water trap on my compressor. Also it's very light empty & full I just sat it down with the crane on the truck & it rolls great! I use it for the planes also but have a 175 gal tank with a 20 GPM pump also.

Frank46
05-21-2012, 02:08 AM
I bought one of those eco-friendly gas cans. Filled it up on the way home. Stuck it in the shed then filled up the lawn tractor. Back into the shed. Next time I saw it, it has semi collapsed like shrunken in on itself. Guess they don't want anything to leak out or in. Stuck it in the sun and after a couple hours looked like normal. Still have a few of the old gas cans. Not getting rid of them. Frank

JoeLee
05-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I have the exact same offending gas can as in the first pick in this thread.i live in California and it is the equivalent of the assault can. We can't have semi autos because we should be wearing diapers and eating baby food. This can drives me nuts. I am going to go to Arizona to get some real gas cans, if they had the pacific ocean I would move.

Well maybe after the next earthquake Arizona will have a Pacific ocean!!

JL.................

1200rpm
05-21-2012, 08:48 AM
what`s funny is that if you have ever seen someone trying to use one they end up slopping gas all over the place trying to hold the collar while pouring it, then get frustrated/tired from it taking so long, take the cap off entirely and try pouring it w/out a funnel, while it chugs from having no air release, slopping even more gas...:rolleyes:

i`ll stick to my old steel can with the flex spout.

JoeLee
05-21-2012, 09:03 AM
There are all kinds of companies that make metal flex hose. Someone has to have something that can be adapted to the old gas can. I'm going to look around.

JL...............

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ablemetalhose.com/media/metal_hose.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ablemetalhose.com/&h=261&w=350&sz=21&tbnid=hCQUJziGZMrNTM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=118&zoom=1&docid=h_lnraafuKD_aM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=RS26T8vZEMPk6QGtyuzpCg&sqi=2&ved=0COwBEPUBMAg&dur=7748

Jim2
05-21-2012, 01:23 PM
I got tired of spilling gas, cracked spouts, faulty seals, and broken caps. I bought one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200447900_200447900. It's pretty expensive, but I figure it may be the last gas can I ever need. I went through 2-3 of the plastic ones before I finally got some sense. . . .

Jim

metalmagpie
05-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Can you still buy decent gas cans in Canada?

davidh
05-21-2012, 02:51 PM
As a hobby machinist I fixed four of mine by cutting a hole in the cap, making a aluminum adapter to seal inside the cap with a thin gasket, drilled and tapped the alum. For a 3/8 inch pipe thread hose barb and attaching a 3/8 " hydraulic hose on it, about 18"long. For a cap on the hose I used soft plastic caps that were on something I got from somewhere. No leaks, never miss the hole I'm putting gas in. . . . Get creative i'd say.

rustamd
05-21-2012, 03:10 PM
What about making use of, say 3/4" Loc-Line?

derekm
05-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Jerry cans original WWII/NATO pattern, you can get then in 10Litres and 20 litres.

lakeside53
05-21-2012, 04:09 PM
There are all kinds of companies that make metal flex hose. Someone has to have something that can be adapted to the old gas can. I'm going to look around.

JL...............

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ablemetalhose.com/media/metal_hose.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ablemetalhose.com/&h=261&w=350&sz=21&tbnid=hCQUJziGZMrNTM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=118&zoom=1&docid=h_lnraafuKD_aM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=RS26T8vZEMPk6QGtyuzpCg&sqi=2&ved=0COwBEPUBMAg&dur=7748

I'm thinking that the stainless steel flex line used for gas would be perfect, and available at many hardware stores.

JoeLee
05-21-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm thinking that the stainless steel flex line used for gas would be perfect, and available at many hardware stores.

They are available in stainless and you can also get them with fittings on each end. Then as mentioned just drill a hole through the cap and put a nut on the inside of it. You could also put a screw cap on the end of the hose.
The lock line would be a great choice if you can get it in 3/4", I would hate to be filling my lawn tractor tank through a 3/8" hose.

JL.......................

Cheeseking
05-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Do a search for Chilton P-20 or P-50 "Vintage" ones from the 90's

I have two in great shape I bought new back then and they still work flawlessly. No drips no BS. I am waiting for the day the plastic snap on caps on the spout/vent gives out but so far no issues.

This one looks a little ratty but I'm sure there are others around for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Chilton-2-Gallon-Gas-Can-W-Spout-Model-P20-/160807411131?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D 330733247240%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D86286781446519320 26

JoeLee
05-23-2012, 09:15 PM
Do a search for Chilton P-20 or P-50 "Vintage" ones from the 90's

I have two in great shape I bought new back then and they still work flawlessly. No drips no BS. I am waiting for the day the plastic snap on caps on the spout/vent gives out but so far no issues.

This one looks a little ratty but I'm sure there are others around for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Chilton-2-Gallon-Gas-Can-W-Spout-Model-P20-/160807411131?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%2 52BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D 330733247240%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D86286781446519320 26

That is a nice can but I'm sure the cap and spout are well on their way to becomming brittle at that age. I have a can made by Gott, nice can but the cap cracked and so did the base of the spout. That would be my first can to try and fix.

JL................

Mike of the North
05-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Any body have any experience with one of these.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/83/215/939/-/12519/VP-Racing-Square-Utility-Jug

I have one of these and it is great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-GOTT-Rubbermaid-5-Gallon-Gas-Can-vented-spout-cap-filter-plastic-red-jug-EX-/360454447329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ecc260e1

JoeLee
05-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Mike, I've never seen the utility jug........ I have to wonder if it's not designated for gas some places may not let you fill it. My Gott was actually for water.......... but nobody knows that but me!!
I can remember putting gas in an old Carlo Rossi jug.
As far as the ebay stuff... $50 is ridiculous.

JL.....................

coalsmok
05-23-2012, 11:34 PM
We use the utility jugs at work to haul oil and antifreeze in. While the jugs hold up rather well, the cap seems to be the weak point. I like the fact that they are heavy construction. You need a funnel to pour into anything small, the mouth is about 3" wide.
Never thought about getting one for gas.

datsun280zxt
05-27-2012, 11:58 AM
I like the utility jugs, we use them for race fuel. If the gas station doesn't let you fill them, find a different station. I have one for methanol and one for c-16. they would work fine for regular gasoline. Only real drawback is size (and cost). Its nice to have smaller cans around as well. Also the jug doesn't come with the pour spout, so you'll end up spending close to $50. The cans never really wear out tho, and that is a definite plus!