PDA

View Full Version : which type of wheel for puretungsten grinding

triple triangles
05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
can anybody suggest which type of surface grinding wheel,grit and coolant for pure tungsten to use without any surface cracks.

Dr Stan
05-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Contact a Norton grinding wheel supplier. They in turn will contact the engineers @ Norton.

Arthur.Marks
05-21-2012, 01:57 PM
I suspect this is for grinding a welding electrode? I've only ground them dry, so I cannot help with coolant procedures. You will need a diamond wheel to grind tungsten. Only use it for the tungsten or thoroughly dress it each time you use the wheel with tungsten. If this is not done, miniscule particles of other materials you have ground on the wheel will embed into your tungsten.

Bill McLeod
05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
We are TIG welding in this shop every day and in the last 20 years I never have a needed for a pure tungsten. I use Ceriated or Lanthiated 90% of the time and Zerconated about 10%. I don't do anything for Nuclear reactors but do lots of specialty stuff including titanium. Titanium is the only thing I get fussy on sharpening. 99% of the time I sharpen roughly on an ordinary bench grinder and finish in a fine abrasive belt 1" wide. The usual time we fail a xray is when the tip of the tungsten has got dipped in the puddle. The bench grinder gets use for drill etc. I know what the books say and other people do it completely differently but this is what happens around here and it is not causing problems. Holding the tungsten in a cordless drill and turning as slow as you can go works good and it's fast. We do that on both the grinder and the belt. One of those diamond machines would be nice but choked on the price!!! FIRE Away guys....
Bill

xalky
05-21-2012, 02:34 PM
We are TIG welding in this shop every day and in the last 20 years I never have a needed for a pure tungsten. I use Ceriated or Lanthiated 90% of the time and Zerconated about 10%. I don't do anything for Nuclear reactors but do lots of specialty stuff including titanium. Titanium is the only thing I get fussy on sharpening. 99% of the time I sharpen roughly on an ordinary bench grinder and finish in a fine abrasive belt 1" wide. The usual time we fail a xray is when the tip of the tungsten has got dipped in the puddle. The bench grinder gets use for drill etc. I know what the books say and other people do it completely differently but this is what happens around here and it is not causing problems. Holding the tungsten in a cordless drill and turning as slow as you can go works good and it's fast. We do that on both the grinder and the belt. One of those diamond machines would be nice but choked on the price!!! FIRE Away guys....
Bill That's how i sharpen my tungstens on a grinding wheel and a battery powered drill. It works awesome and it's super fast. I made an arbor for a bench grinder and installed a diamond wheel from harbor freight that normally would go in a hand held 4"grinder. I use it mostly for tungstens but sometimes i use it for carbide. I never had a problem either.

rohart
05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Same here. By hand on the rough wheel, then on the smooth wheel. And better done with gloves off. The worst bit is trying to grind the puddle splash off without thinning down the rod too much.

If Bill doesn't do it high-tech all the time, having his welds x-rayed, then no home welder should bother to do better. I junked the thoriated I bought when I started though. Wasn't keen on breathing the dust.

But since pure tungsten is meant to be useless for tigging, and every tigger finds this out pretty quickly from what I hear, I woudn't be surprised to find that this isn't what the OP was about.

loose nut
05-21-2012, 09:37 PM
We are TIG welding in this shop every day and in the last 20 years I never have a needed for a pure tungsten.
Bill

Pure tungsten is/can/should (pick one) used for aluminum tig welding.

tdmidget
05-21-2012, 10:10 PM
I suspect this is for grinding a welding electrode? I've only ground them dry, so I cannot help with coolant procedures. You will need a diamond wheel to grind tungsten. Only use it for the tungsten or thoroughly dress it each time you use the wheel with tungsten. If this is not done, miniscule particles of other materials you have ground on the wheel will embed into your tungsten.

TUNGSTEN not TUNGSTEN carbide. Readily machined and ground, no diamonds etc needed.

metalmagpie
05-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Best wheel for grinding TIG tungstens of whatever alloy is diamond.

tdmidget
05-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Best wheel for grinding TIG tungstens of whatever alloy is diamond.

It is easily ground with aluminum oxide. Apparently you haven't tried it.

lazlo
05-21-2012, 11:40 PM
We are TIG welding in this shop every day and in the last 20 years I never have a needed for a pure tungsten.

I was taught, and used, pure tungsten electrodes (green) for AC TIG welding of aluminum. It's balls up nicely.

It'll grind on anything: most welding shops use green silicon carbide wheels, which are somewhat more resistant to grooving than aluminum oxide, which also works fine.

I've also used aluminum oxide belts on my belt grinder to sharpen tungsten electrodes...

EVguru
05-22-2012, 07:52 AM
I was taught, and used, pure tungsten electrodes (green) for AC TIG welding of aluminum. It's balls up nicely.

Why would you want it to ball?

Pure Tungsten is the coice when you have an obsolete sinewave AC welder. With squarewave current (synchrowave) or inverter based AC welder there is a lot of advantage to using something with a higher melting point than pure Tungsten and because you have control over the weld/clean current ratio. The ability to retain a cone, if not an actual point gives you much better arc control.

vpt
05-22-2012, 09:02 AM
I've seen this topic about 100 times now on different forums.

All I got to say is I also do allot of tig welding and for my pure tung I just knock the contaminated end off on the table top and keep welding. Sometimes I use pliers.

For my 2% I use the bench grinder, the same one I use for everything, SS, mild, aluminum, titanium, tungsten, wood, plastic, cardboard, skin, gloves, rubber, etc.

If you have to ask what to use I assume you aren't welding anything extremely important yet. Just use the bench grinder and keep welding.

lazlo
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM

It gives you a wider, less intense arc that leaves a nicer bead. A lot of welders sharpen the tungsten electrode and then arc it to a copper plate, or even the table top, to round the tip.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tungsten-prep-for-tig-aluminum.html

http://tiptigusa.com/tig-tungsten-ball.jpg

Arthur.Marks
05-22-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm beginning to think we're the source of a good laugh for "tripletriangles" and no more.

loose nut
05-22-2012, 02:23 PM

Pure Tungsten is the coice when you have an obsolete sinewave AC welder.

You mean most welders.

Just because it is old and obsolete doesn't mean that it won't do the job right or that it needs to be replaced. The ball makes the arc more diffused and spreads the heat out over the aluminum. Aluminum dissipates heat at a high rate, with a balled tungsten you can run more amps and heat up a wider area making it easier to weld as Lazlo said.

lakeside53
05-22-2012, 02:29 PM
With me that pretty ball would last about 30 seconds - until I dipped it in the pool or stuck it on the surface.:mad: Just don't do enough tig to get good at it - one day...

I found that green concrete (as found on the HF tool grinders) worked ok, but that diamond works perfectly.