PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Grease

flylo
05-21-2012, 12:51 PM
My Wabeco D6000E has grease zerks all over. I called markus at MD Prcision, the distributor & he said use any grase. I really don't want to do that. I want the best I can get & clean as possible. I've used white lithim before. Can anyone suggest the best grease for this? Thanks!

jep24601
05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure "best" and "clean" go together - especially where molybdenum disulphide (moly) is involved. High Moly containing greases (60%+) are among the best performing greases generally available. Filthy black though.

Mcgyver
05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
are you sure they are not for oil? Most times you find a zerk on a machine its for oil not grease....find a manual or you risk the classic newbie mistake of filling it up with grease .....and the only way out of that is complete disassembly and cleaning (don't ask how i know :p )

chriskat
05-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Is this the machine:

Wabeco D6000E (http://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/ProductDetails/Wabeco/ConventionalLatheRange/D6000ELathe/tabid/203/Default.aspx)

If so I'd agree with Mcgyver, probably shouldn't use grease at all.

My Millrite milling machine had been used by someone that loaded it up with grease. A real pain to get cleaned out so that I could oil the ways.

Jeff

uncle pete
05-21-2012, 02:11 PM
My Bridgeport clone has a zerk fitting on the head. I've read about more than a few people who didn't know better and just assumed because of that zerk they needed to use grease. Even if you had the experience to totally disassemble one of these heads, It would be a huge time consumeing PITA. Without that experience? It's going to be an huge expen$ive PITA to pay someone else to do it. I'd very much doubt those fittings on your lathe are for grease. Your lathe would be simple enough that an end user could do the grease clean up, But it's still gonna be more than a long job that shouldn't need to be done anyway.

I don't play around with lubrication anymore. I once screwed up a $700 motor on a Emco lathe by using 90 wt gear oil for lubricating the gear train bushings, The oil wasn't light enough to flush out any wear particals, Due to the drag from the heavy wt. oil, It then created some heat and the oil dried out a bit and started creating some really excessive drag on the motor, But only while the power feed was engaged. $700 worth of magic smoke released is an expensive way to learn that using the proper factory recommended lubrication is dirt cheap.

I'd go online and see if there's a manual for your lathe, If not. I'd order one.

Pete

flylo
05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Yes thats it except mine has a factory transformer from 240V to 120V. 9 grease fittings & 4 places to oil as per the manual & the owner of MDA who says use any grease? It says to lube every 8 hours, I can never go on vacation again. it will be like having a 1 man dairy.:eek:

Carld
05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
The zerks are for oil and way oil works best there.

Davidhcnc
05-21-2012, 02:54 PM
The Wabeco manual states

"....nipples with a grease gun and standard roller bearing grease"

also bed, dovetails and tailstock sleeve "with the help of an oil can using standard lubricating oil"

I'll not post scans because it is copyright

So you have plenty of opertunity to choose between available and favourite grease and oil.:)

Mcgyver
05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Yes thats it except mine has a factory transformer from 240V to 120V. 9 grease fittings & 4 places to oil as per the manual & the owner of MDA who says use any grease? It says to lube every 8 hours, I can never go on vacation again. it will be like having a 1 man dairy.:eek:

lol where/when I grew all the dairy farms were one man dairies. Hard working guys 7 days a week 365 a year from when they started until they retired.

Your first post didn't mention a manual and referenced a distributor....any particular distributor is guaranteed to have a knowledge level somewhere between 0-10 on a scale of 1-10...but if you have a manual that's different.....if it says grease in the manual, have at it, specific to the fittings it says to use grease with....point being many have made the error including me of seeing a grease fitting and using grease

aboard_epsilon
05-21-2012, 04:32 PM
It says to lube every 8 hours, I can never go on vacation again. it will be like having a 1 man dairy.:eek:

he he he

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQxuUEMiV8

all the best.marklj

customcutter
05-21-2012, 04:36 PM
If you use grease make sure it's compatable with the grease already there. I know from the mining industry everytime we changed suppliers we had to make sure that the greases were compatable with what we already had. If not they would break down into basicly dirty water and soap.

Good luck,
Ken

Mark Hockett
05-21-2012, 05:01 PM
My lathe uses grease on the ways, feed screws and tail stock quill. The factory recommended Mobil 1 synthetic grease and not to lube it any more than once every two weeks.

flylo
05-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Can you PM me with where you got that manual? Mine is 50 pgs & doesn't say that. Mine came from MDA. Thanks!

[/I]
The Wabeco manual states

"....nipples with a grease gun and standard roller bearing grease"

also bed, dovetails and tailstock sleeve "with the help of an oil can using standard lubricating oil"

I'll not post scans because it is copyright

So you have plenty of opertunity to choose between available and favourite grease and oil.:)

sasquatch
05-21-2012, 09:34 PM
I've always liked seeing nipples on most things!!:eek: :p

KIMFAB
05-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Here is what happens when you use grease when you should use oil

http://www.kimfab.com/pictures/DSG/lathea055.jpg

This is from my DSG rebuild. Notice the worm gear in upper center with the teeth worn off from lack of lubrication.

flylo
05-21-2012, 11:54 PM
I've always liked seeing nipples on most things!!:eek: :p
I'm not taking my shirt off when your around!I've heard about those long Canuk winters, cabin fever & such!:o :eek:

tdmidget
05-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Here is what happens when you use grease when you should use oil

http://www.kimfab.com/pictures/DSG/lathea055.jpg

This is from my DSG rebuild. Notice the worm gear in upper center with the teeth worn off from lack of lubrication.

It's not a Dean Smith and Grace. His manual calls for grease on rolling element bearings only.

sco
05-22-2012, 05:47 AM
The manual can be found here; http://www.ismg4tools.com/manuals/D6000LatheManual.pdf page 36 covers lubrication.

I use Rocol Sapphire 2 on my D2000.

Davidhcnc
05-22-2012, 04:50 PM
The manual can be found here; http://www.ismg4tools.com/manuals/D6000LatheManual.pdf page 36 covers lubrication.

I use Rocol Sapphire 2 on my D2000.

Good first post:cool:

sco
05-23-2012, 04:16 AM
Good first post:cool:

Thanks, first post but long time lurker!

flylo
05-23-2012, 07:02 AM
SCO, Welcome & Thank you! :D

GrainDSG
03-19-2018, 01:28 PM
Newbie with a DSG Type 21 Lathe, with a shameful all too common newbie incident. I've read how greasing the nipples is a classic error of the ignorant ones such as myself. One of my boys proudly pumped away after giving the new acquisition a rub down. I appreciate that this issue, and the paths to rectification, have been widely discussed. However, in this instance the poison was injected approximately 2 weeks prior to running the lathe for approximately 3 - 5 minutes only ... and at very low speed.

May this be even a glimmer of a saving grace, or is the process/outcome inevitably the same? If so, where might an ignorant crushed soul look for basic civilian instructions. Thanks in advance.

old mart
03-19-2018, 02:06 PM
You will be fine following the greasing and oiling according to the manual. Common roller bearing grease is lithium based, do not use moly grease on ball and roller bearings, it is primarily for plain bearings as molybdenum disulphide reacts with rolling elements increasing brittleness. Way oil, as already recommended for everything else.
I would really like one of the Swiss made Wanner oil guns, but they cost 75 in Blighty, too much for me.

Willy
03-19-2018, 02:36 PM
Damn, wish I had that machine, what a beauty!

I agree fully as to what old mart just said.

Have a look here at the lubrication pages of this manual.

http://www.shamrockmachinery.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/DSG-18-21-Parts-Manual-33-pgs.pdf

Arcane
03-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Flylo, this is a very good grease.

https://www.texasrefinery.com/product-specs/paragon-3000-tomorrows-grease-today.pdf

Richard P Wilson
03-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Trouble is, the manual makes it clear that its all oil lubrication, and warns against using grease in the oil gun. A lot of the machine, headstock, gearbox, apron, have oil sumps, so they should be OK. If the grease has only just gone in, I'd be tempted to spend a while flushing every nipple (zerk) through with oil in the gun to try to clear the grease out. Stripping down a DSM carriage and slides isn't for the faint hearted.
This all assumes that previous owners haven't spent years pumping grease into the thing.

old mart
03-19-2018, 07:05 PM
Richard, the wabeco manual clearly states grease and oil which is exactly what the op wanted. The DSG requirements are another thing altogether.

Willy
03-19-2018, 07:45 PM
Just so that everyone is on the same page, remember that the start of this thread is almost 6 years old.
I'm hoping he has lubed the machine since then.http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/smilies/smile.png

Richard P Wilson
03-19-2018, 09:32 PM
Richard, the wabeco manual clearly states grease and oil which is exactly what the op wanted. The DSG requirements are another thing altogether.

Yes, but I was answering GrainDSG who was talking about a DSG. GrainDSG's post 22 was restarting Flylo's thread from 6 years ago, which was indeed about a Wabeco.

Sorry if I've misunderstood something. Wouldn't be the first time.

Arcane
03-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Just so that everyone is on the same page, remember that the start of this thread is almost 6 years old.
I'm hoping he has lubed the machine since then.http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/smilies/smile.png

Drats! I hate not noticing when it's a zombie thread.

Richard King
03-20-2018, 10:52 AM
(shoot just checked, this thread started in 2012, lol)

I have always had good luck using Mobil Red grease #28. I usually only use the grease the manual of the machine recommends as thats what they used at the factory when they built it. Most greases should not be mixed or the soaps can have a chemical reaction and get hard. So if you have been using one, best to stay with what your using or clean out the old before switching.

old mart
03-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Double drats, I hadn't noticed that it was a zombie thread myself, Grain DSG obviously trawled up an old thread instead of starting a new one. Sorry, Richard P Wilson.
The Smart & Brown model A at the museum has had the grease treatment in various places which are being slowly corrected.

flylo
03-20-2018, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the help anyway but the lathe took a vacation to CA & never came back :o