PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Don't eat feeler gauges!

radkins
05-21-2012, 06:50 PM
I just bought a new feeler gauge and as I was removing it from the package I noticed a bold warning that stated it contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm! A stinkin feeler gauge! :rolleyes: I suppose there is a trace of chromium in the frame or maybe it has a trace of oil on it somewhere but this is just plain ridiculous! Is there anything that does not cause cancer and/or birth defects in California? I guess if a person eats too many of these gauges they will run the risk of stomach cancer or maybe their kids might be born nekid!

Willy
05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah go figure.
I'm installing a new washing machine outlet box today and noticed the same warning on it as well. Gee now I may be in violation of contaminating the laundry if happen to go down there.

Is there anything that does not cause cancer and/or birth defects in California?

Maybe a balanced budget...I don't believe they've seen one of those yet.;)

Black_Moons
05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Warning: The state of california contains a chemical known to the state of california to cause paranoia and excessive warning regulations that will desensitise people to warnings making them unable to know what is actually dangerous or not.

PS: We are not sure what chemical it is. But when we find out we assure you that we will put another warning sticker on the bottle.

customcutter
05-21-2012, 07:18 PM
California "The Cereal State"

What ain't fruits and nuts are flakes.:D

.RC.
05-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Cancer is a natural part of life... You will die of cancer if nothing else gets you in the meantime...

lazlo
05-21-2012, 07:57 PM
I just bought a new feeler gauge and as I was removing it from the package I noticed a bold warning that stated it contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer

They were probably made from melamine.

RetiredFAE
05-21-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah go figure.
I'm installing a new washing machine outlet box today and noticed the same warning on it as well. Gee now I may be in violation of contaminating the laundry if happen to go down there.

Maybe a balanced budget...I don't believe they've seen one of those yet.;)

"Is there anything that does not cause cancer and/or birth defects in California?"

Death doesn't cause cancer and / or birth defects in California, at the moment any way.

However, attempting to kill yourself , whether or not you succeed, in order to eliminate the pain of cancer, birth defects, divorce, in-laws, ingrown nostril hair, or for any other reason, was at one time a felony in CA.

I believe that law has since been repealed.

CA would now prefer that you suffer as long as possible so that they can continue to collect taxes from you. Including estate tax and inheritance tax when you finally do succumb.

sasquatch
05-21-2012, 08:28 PM
yup, i've seen those warnings on stuff here in canada too, pretty bizarre warning.

PJRitz
05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm glad all that stuff only causes cancer in California, I stay here in Pennsylvania where it's all safe

PJ Ritz

flylo
05-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Me too. In Michigan we just freeze to death 8 months a year. Bought my heart tank of LP $1.89/gal same as last year.

Greg Q
05-22-2012, 04:26 AM
I'm glad all that stuff only causes cancer in California, I stay here in Pennsylvania where it's all safe

PJ Ritz

Oh, I don't know about that. When I lived in North America every Twinkie, Ding-Dong and package of beef jerky had the approval of the Penna. Dept of Agriculture on the label. I'm waiting forthe shale gas revenues to roll in before I file suit:p

Greg

oldtiffie
05-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Cancer is a natural part of life... You will die of cancer if nothing else gets you in the meantime...

True.

Many are probably dying of cancer right now and neither know or want to know about it.

Death by cancer or ignorance (or cowardness)?

gizmo2
05-22-2012, 10:19 AM
California "The Cereal State"

What ain't fruits and nuts are flakes.:D

So THAT's why they call it 'living behind the Granola Curtain' !

Optics Curmudgeon
05-22-2012, 11:12 AM
I occasionally have to use M-112 demolition blocks (1.25 pounds of C-4 in a rectangular plastic wrapper), these have "block, demolition, M-112", etc. printed on one side, and "poison, do not eat" on the other. A about dropped one laughing the first time I saw it.

dockrat
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I guess I better not eat my new boat trailer either. It has the same warning label on it :D

Gunney
05-22-2012, 12:19 PM
This is one of my current pet peeves (along with the TSA). I bought an end mill and it arrived with 10 pages of MSDS because of the Kalifornia BS. I thought they were all tree-huggers out there, and now they have caused practically everything you buy to be shipped with reams of paper telling you how life-threatening it is. Dum basses.

OK, got that out of my system for the day.

lazlo
05-22-2012, 12:19 PM
I occasionally have to use M-112 demolition blocks (1.25 pounds of C-4 in a rectangular plastic wrapper), these have "block, demolition, M-112", etc. printed on one side, and "poison, do not eat" on the other.

That's like the Claymore mines that have "This side towards enemy" printed on it :p

Alistair Hosie
05-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Cancer is a natural part of life... You will die of cancer if nothing else gets you in the meantime

or a natural part of death

oil mac
05-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Does that mean if i buy a set of those feeler guages from California It will not be safe to pick my teeth with the .002" one ?:D

Guess i will just carry on using my old British ones purchased before the legislation kicked in!

tyrone shewlaces
05-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Now see this thread got totally off track. The warning label just isn't specific.

Feeler gages are plenty safe to eat. Just be sure to wipe the coating of protective oil off before doing so. It's the oil that causes cancer.

I understand trichlor 1-1-1 is great for removing that protective oil.

JoeBean
05-22-2012, 08:22 PM
What particularly irritates me about those warnings is the misuse of language, particularly in the "known to the state of California" part. In actuality it isn't known - if it were it would be irrefutable and accepted by nearly everyone. In truth, many researchers would question the validity of the supposed dangers with many of the substances that they are warning against. So what they really mean is it's believed, not known.

Second to that, how can something be "known to the state of California". Obviously they can't be referring to the ground out west as, unless things have changed since my last trip that way, the dirt hasn't reached sentience yet. Presumably they mean the political representatives of the state. But I'm willing to bet that few of those people actually trust that warning label, and even fewer are actually capable of judging whether the scientific studies clearly indicate that the substance is a carcinogen.

It irks me because the world seems to be getting filled up with supposed know-it-alls who really know almost nothing at all, and people seem to judge their intellect on how much they claim they know, without giving thought to whether what they believe is right or wrong.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I may be a bit sensitive on this subject as I just had a "friend" damage a brand new framing nailer by repeatedly firing it directly into concrete, then claim that it was the "crappy nailer"'s fault, not his, because he saw it on TV so he knows they're supposed to be made for nailing concrete.
And a couple of weeks ago another "friend" borrowed a Stahlwille torque wrench and I caught him using a breaker bar on it to try to force bolts to fit that were 1/2" longer than the hole was deep, which he justified by saying his mechanic father taught him to do it that way so it HAD to be right)

Deus Machina
05-23-2012, 04:09 AM
On another amusing note, I've worked retail for nine years now...
No, that wasn't the funny part. Hold on.

Last Christmas season, a woman came in, was buying decorations, and they sent me to the back to bring out a boxed artificial tree for her. I brought it out, she was reading the label (size, number of lights, etc) and got to the "caution: everything kills you and your babies in California" label, and freaked right the hell out.

I can't remember exactly what she said because I was trying to figure out how a woman in her mid-thirties to forties, in a suit during the middle of the week, would have a problem with this.

My mouth said reassuring things but my face said "I'm amazed you figured out the right order in which to breath this morning" because she believed, was utterly convinced, that she, a fully grown adult, was subject to a hitherto nonexistent birth defect.

Black_Moons
05-23-2012, 05:23 AM
My mouth said reassuring things but my face said "I'm amazed you figured out the right order in which to breath this morning" because she believed, was utterly convinced, that she, a fully grown adult, was subject to a hitherto nonexistent birth defect.

Alas, It sounds like it was much too late to avoid her birth defect.

Krunch
05-23-2012, 09:23 AM
it contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm! A stinkin feeler gauge! :rolleyes:

Thank God for our wise and benevolent babysitters! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/bowdown.gif

How would we ever remember to BREATHE without them???

If it wasn't for government regulation like this, imagine how many people would be eating feeler gauges as if they were potato chips!

Re-Elect Obama if you want more Protection of The PowerlessŪ like this!

lazlo
05-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Thank God for our wise and benevolent babysitters! http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/bowdown.gif

Re-Elect Obama if you want more Protection of The PowerlessŪ like this!

Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, was enacted as a voter ballot initiative in November 1986. The California voters approved it by a landslide.

It's not a Federal Program -- it's State's Rights.

wierdscience
05-23-2012, 10:11 AM
"Product not forsale in California-because they are a bunch of sissy
douchebags"

lazlo
05-23-2012, 10:21 AM
"Product not forsale in California-because they are a bunch of sissy douchebags"

In a bunch of states, it's legal to marry your first cousin -- the "douchebags" are pretty well evenly distributed. :p

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg293/scaled.php?server=293&filename=firstcousinmarriagemap.jpg&res=landing

Paul Alciatore
05-23-2012, 11:35 AM
That's like the Claymore mines that have "This side towards enemy" printed on it :p

A Claymore does not have an obvious "muzzle" end like a rifle, so this is not a foolish message. Even PhDs could be easily confused. It has probably saved many, many American lives.

As for California, it is no wonder that so many are leaving there.

As for California officials, they don't "know" nor do they really "believe", they actually "want" to "suspect". I personally think that anybody that requires such a warning but does not insure that it is specific as to what the dangerous substance actually is and what the real dangers are should be strung up by their xxxxs in a public square. And the public should be provided free clubs with rusty nails sticking out. These people are far more dangerous than the chemicals they are trying to warn everybody about. FAR MORE!

lazlo
05-23-2012, 01:16 PM
A Claymore does not have an obvious "muzzle" end like a rifle, so this is not a foolish message. Even PhDs could be easily confused.

It's a shaped charge. Which way would you expect the steel balls to go? :rolleyes: There's even a sight on top to aim it :)

As for California, it is no wonder that so many are leaving there.

You're missing the point -- the California voters created Proposition 65 by referendum, and over 70% of the voters voted for it. State Rights/Democracy at it's finest.

If they're leaving the state, hope that they don't move to your state and vote for it again :D

Krunch
05-23-2012, 02:30 PM
It's a shaped charge. Which way would you expect the steel balls to go? :rolleyes: There's even a sight on top to aim it :)

Careful what you assume, Colonel.

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-TU001386.jpg?size=67&uid=ae9a92e0-70c4-49a3-8495-8818124122ac

wierdscience
05-23-2012, 02:34 PM
In a bunch of states, it's legal to marry your first cousin -- the "douchebags" are pretty well evenly distributed. :p

In California it's legal to marry your illegal alien gay first cousin and before long even if he's a goat:p :D

lazlo
05-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Careful what you assume, Colonel.

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-TU001386.jpg?size=67&uid=ae9a92e0-70c4-49a3-8495-8818124122ac

LOL - Mr. Potato!

The problem with making something foolproof is that fools can be so ingenious :D

xalky
05-23-2012, 06:17 PM
It's Mr Potatoe

wierdscience
05-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Still better than Joe "stand up Chuck and let'em seeya" Biden :rolleyes: