PDA

View Full Version : Finally found a decent milling vise.

spongerich
05-23-2012, 10:32 PM
I've been making due with a couple of small and frankly inadequate vises on my mill for a while now. I just couldn't bring myself to spend a couple hundred dollars on a good quality vise. Last week when I was fly cutting a 4" cube of steel it ended up coming loose and flying across my bench. That made me start a more serious search.

Last night, I saw an ad on Craigslist for a decent looking vise for $40. I called this morning and made the 4 hour round trip and picked up this solid older vise. No markings on it that I've found, but I'm 99% certain it's not Chinese and probably 50+ years old. The jaws are in excellent condition (what looks like cracking is just some old white lithium grease) and the gibs are nice and snug... no play at all but it operates smooth as silk.
While I was there, I picked up a couple of boxes of end mills and other assorted goodies so it was definitely worth the trip.

Can't wait to get out there and start making some chips. I know it's going to be a HUGE improvement.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/spongerapple/5Ld5G45J73G63M23Jac5md941dc4486db16.jpg

sasquatch
05-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Interesting vise, maybe someone here can identify it.

justanengineer
05-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Not knocking it, just curious, does the base look original? It almost looks like a flat piece of plate to me.

spongerich
05-23-2012, 11:19 PM
I think the base is original. There's a round depression in the bottom that leads me to believe that it had a swivel base (or at least the option for one). While that might be handy, I do have a small rotary table, so I can make it swivel if I need to.

john hawkins
05-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Be careful how much weight you put on the table. To much weight on your table will cause the column to wear.

Alistair Hosie
05-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I started *collecting* these vices (john Stevenson terminology):D anyway I too have some very big and medium and small all good condition.I fitted a compound table to my both drills so they now have vices attached.I look at yours buddy and say you got a real tool gloat there.very well done. kindest regards Alistair

Doozer
05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
It looks like the factory vise that came with my Deckel FP1 but the slideways look like box type. My Deckel vise has dovetail slideways.

--Doozer

high country
05-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Looks quite similar to a ruckle as seen here.....

http://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/2972631440.html

A.K. Boomer
05-25-2012, 08:31 AM
My Deckel vise has dovetail slideways.

--Doozer

Never thought about that but a nice built in anti-lift feature and adjustable for wear - although im sure the doves would see more wear patterns in certain area's, not a bad idea though.

Looks like someone applied grease to the vise jaws and then snugged them up for storage to keep them from rusting? - another good thought.

That vise is a brute, I really would not worry about the extra weight as that's a good thing for anti-chatter - just keep your machine lubed and all will be fine... heck half the time im running both the RT and the vise at the same time...

photomankc
05-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Looks quite similar to a ruckle as seen here.....

http://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/2972631440.html

So why, on what I presume is a vise mounted on a manual machine, do people drill the beJesus out of the bed of the vice like that? I can see an accident or two on a CNC vice (I finally did it on mine :mad: ) but I never came close to drilling into the vice on a manual machine.

I see it all the time in vices up for sale. Do some shops just not have time for parallels and all that?

1-800miner
05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
I have the very same vise,paid forty for it as well.
Mine has no name or number,either.:(

Actually I picked up four vices in a package deal.Two kurts on swivels,one yusa,and the mystery vise.160$ for all.

Boucher
05-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Tell us about the Yusa.

Rosco-P
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Yusa is likely Yuasa: http://yuasa-intl.com/aboutus.aspx Their spindexers and H/V 5C indexers are about as good as a Hardinge.

high country
05-25-2012, 05:04 PM
So why, on what I presume is a vise mounted on a manual machine, do people drill the beJesus out of the bed of the vice like that? I can see an accident or two on a CNC vice (I finally did it on mine :mad: ) but I never came close to drilling into the vice on a manual machine.

I see it all the time in vices up for sale. Do some shops just not have time for parallels and all that?

I would guess if you held parts for 70 years, you might be a victim of an oops. I try hard to take care of my stuff, but before I had to buy my own machines....I didn't give it near as much consideration.

Harvey Melvin Richards
05-25-2012, 05:12 PM

I worked in a shop that had a Bridgeport Mill that had the beJesus drilled out of the table. You couldn't find a 4" circle of table that didn't have a hole in it.

A.K. Boomer
05-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes that's taking it to a whole new level - I can't understand guys acting like their mill table is kinda like a back up 2by4 that you use as a drill plate,

mine has one little nick in it where I dropped the edge of a parallel on it and it still t's me off I did that...

spongerich
05-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Be careful how much weight you put on the table. To much weight on your table will cause the column to wear.

It's not as huge as it looks. The jaws are only 4" wide and it's definitely under 50 lbs.

high country
05-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Yusa is likely Yuasa: http://yuasa-intl.com/aboutus.aspx Their spindexers and H/V 5C indexers are about as good as a Hardinge.
I have one of their 14" rotary tables.....its a beast.