PDA

View Full Version : combination vise pipe jaws?

metalmagpie
05-25-2012, 01:01 AM
I got this big old vise the other day. It was once a combination vise, which means it had pipe jaws under the regular jaws. The pipe jaws are missing. It appears it had two on one side and one on the other, held in by pinch bolts from the sides.

Has anyone actually made replacement pipe dies like these? Any trick to it?

Here is a similar (but smaller) vise. You can see the pipe jaws pretty easily:
http://is03.thegumtree.com/image/extrabig/125979675.jpg

metalmagpie

lakeside53
05-25-2012, 01:28 AM
I haven't made any, but it looks pretty straight forward on a mill. Use the edge of an endmill to make the serrations. Tedious, but....

What metal? I doubt mild steel, so maybe 4xxxx, 6xxx, 8xxx? Heat treated after or just use pre-hard?

Can you buy replacements from Record?

metalmagpie
05-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Can you buy replacements from Record?

Record was swallowed whole by Irwin. Irwin does not provide parts supports for any but the current Taiwanese vises (vices) to my knowledge. In other words, I couldn't find replacements.

It is possible that something from Wilton might work. Grainger supplies their replacements, but I doubt they stock them so I could look at them.

I think I have a piece of S2 1/2" thick. Might need to be 5/8" thick or even 3/4", this thing is huge.

I bet if I rough sawed out the blanks from tool steel, that they could be milled to identical vee block shapes, then it would just be CNC milling the little square pockets one at a time. Then heat treating ..

metalmagpie

oldtiffie
05-25-2012, 03:00 AM
There are any amount of these (Chinese) standard and pipe vices. Some have swivel bases.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/V074

My next bench vise will be a steel fabricated off-set type for longer stuff used vertically - plus they can be repaired or modified my normal welding methods.

Vises are pretty well a readily repairable and/or consumable "repair by replacement" item now.

MrFluffy
05-25-2012, 03:37 AM
I think that job's a excuse to go buy a shaper, if you don't already own one that is :)

On the subject of fabricating vice jaws and shapers, could you use one to flat knurl the diamond teeth pattern into a pair like the upper jaws. Or even make a vee jaw with the diamond knurl teeth instead of the large serrations, or is it asking too much of the rigidity of the ram slides to knurl into steel like that?

metalmagpie
05-25-2012, 09:56 AM
There are any amount of these (Chinese) standard and pipe vices. Some have swivel bases.

.. and your point is??

Sure, Chinese vices (vises in US) exist. So do Chinese lathes and mills. Some of us still occasionally choose to own older tools/machines made in the US or England.

metalmagpie

loose nut
05-25-2012, 10:04 AM
which means you can't get repair parts.

flylo
05-25-2012, 10:31 AM
I can't tell you where to get them but I own 2 & they are handy also pretty common to find. I wouls think an easy job to make a new jaw.

rollin45
05-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Rigid pipe vises have similar shaped jaws and they are replaceable, it may be possible that you could modify some to fit.

rollin'

metalmagpie
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM
On a related subject, today I cleaned up the main base casting. It generally cleaned up well, but one of the letters is malformed, as though some sand spilled into a corner of it. It is a raised capital E (first letter in "ENGLAND") and the top 1/3rd is basically missing. I know it sounds anal but is there any reasonable way to use putty or something to replace it?

rollin45
05-25-2012, 12:21 PM
bondo? file to shape

rollin'

lakeside53
05-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Malformed is orginal, and as I'm English, I'd take great pride in leaving it that way:D

I have an antique drill press (USA) with an entire letter missing. Must have been made on a Monday moring by English immigrants ;)

If you feel the need to restore England to better than its former glory, blob on bondo and carve it with small wood cavers tools (hand, not "dremel").

firbikrhd1
05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
I made a pair of pipe vise jaws for a very old pipe vise my dad has. I used oil hardening flat stock and a shaper but a mill would work just as well and be faster. To do the job I use oil hardening stock the proper thickness, 3/8" in my case, marked out the steps using the old damaged jaw I still had, cut away the majority of stock with a hacksaw and put the pieces in the shaper vise to complete the "steps" of the jaw. I then heated the completed part until a magnet would no longer stick and quenched it in oil. The completed jaws then polished and tempered to a straw color. They worked very well when the vise was used to hold pipe for thread cutting.

cameron
05-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Definitely anal, but use JB Weld or similiar filled epoxy. It'll hold better than bondo, until you knock it.

Dave Cameron

oldtiffie
05-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by oldtiffie

.. and your point is??

Sure, Chinese vices (vises in US) exist. So do Chinese lathes and mills. Some of us still occasionally choose to own older tools/machines made in the US or England.

metalmagpie

I have no issues with what type or age or country of origin or opinion that anybody may have regarding bench vises (US) - vices UK and AU - as its solely their business.

I only posted a range of possible options if new/replacement is a consideration.

My requirements have changed over time and I will be looking for a new vise in the near future.

Making new jaws for that vise you have is quite "do-able" and as you suggest you will have a quite servicable vise that should last for years.

My standard 4" bench vice was bought new 40+ years ago. It is an Australian made under licence copy of the UK "Record" and has given very good service and is still in good condition.