PDA

View Full Version : Belt Sander Vs Bandsaw

Black_Moons
05-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Excitement in the shop today! was grinding the drop of the first zipcut, just the chunk that was flame cut, wanted to practice on it. Turned out nicely however...

Just as I was finishing, I noticed sparks shoot out of my belt sander vent without me grinding anything. Thinking the motor fried I turned it off and smelled, Not a burning motor smell....
So I quickly opened the belt cover and blew the area out, a few more sparks.. then after 30 seconds another fury of sparks and a wad of steel wool ejects out.

What kinda of bandsaw blade alloy is prone to combustion? -_-

Also, keep an eye on your grinders when grinding metal!

darryl
05-26-2012, 12:02 AM
I have a couple of motor-driven sanding machines that are made from wood and plastic- this is a good warning for me.

cameron
05-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Don't know why there'd be steel wool in your belt sander, but with the sparks from grinding and the draft from the belt it would burn easily.

Dave Cameron

Frank Ford
05-26-2012, 04:01 PM
I used to get these clumps of steel particles that would build up on the table just below the bottom wheel of my belt grinder. When the pile would get big enough, it could ignite from the sparks and burn on its own very nicely. I assume that's what happened inside the guard of yours.

My new grinder has the lower wheel outboard from the mounting table, so particles and sparks go straight down to the floor or back against the wall. Now, there's an electric outlet nearby on the wall back there, so I make sure it's covered with duct tape for obvious reasons. . .

Black_Moons
05-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Don't know why there'd be steel wool in your belt sander, but with the sparks from grinding and the draft from the belt it would burn easily.

Dave Cameron

36grit belts tend to produce wool instead of dust.

Mainly posted this thread to warn people about there grinding tools when used on metal, particularly when you use a wood sander on metal that has had wood in it before (Although I blew it out very well, I could tell some of the smoke was burning sawdust)

What do I think you should do about it? Well, Make sure to blow out your sanders frequently after use (thats how I noticed the fire, sparks shooting out), and don't leave the shop for a few minutes after using a belt sander to make sure it does not start smoking :{