PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat not quite screwless vice.

jhe.1973
05-26-2012, 02:39 AM
At a yard sale a couple of weeks ago I picked up what I think is a sweet shop made vise w/a twist on the screwless theme. All heat treated & ground to the usual 2 tenths tolerance.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/jhe-1973/Not%20quite%20screwless%20vice/1.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/jhe-1973/Not%20quite%20screwless%20vice/2.jpg

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/jhe-1973/Not%20quite%20screwless%20vice/3.jpg

When I get the time to make a base, it’s going to go on my Elgin vertical mill to replace the POS Palmgren that came with the mill.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g327/jhe-1973/Not%20quite%20screwless%20vice/4.jpg

On edit: Just realized I spelled the wrong vise in the title - OOPS!

Black_Moons
05-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Very nice. Cool design, I bet it works well. Simple too. Is it spring loaded or something so you can easily get the arm to engage?

sasquatch
05-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Very nice looking vise, i woulda grabbed that too!

Is that the makers name stamped into it?

JCHannum
05-26-2012, 10:53 AM
I have a smaller version of that vise, 4-3/4" long X 1-3/4" wide. Shop made by A. Hunt. Let's hope Tiffie doesn't see these, they have no drawings or certifications to go with them. They are just neat examples of some craftsman's work.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn351/jchannum/P1100688.jpg

jhe.1973
05-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Very nice looking vise, i woulda grabbed that too!

Is that the makers name stamped into it?

Yes, that is the maker's name. He had his own tool grinding business that he retired from and was moving on. Sure wish I could take credit for the design 'cuz I think it quite clever. I bought a bunch of diamond wheels from him too. Dropped a lot of money that day, but everything was great quality & pricing.

jhe.1973
05-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Very nice. Cool design, I bet it works well. Simple too. Is it spring loaded or something so you can easily get the arm to engage?

No, it isn't spring loaded & I wondered also how easy it would be to engage each slot in the bottom. Seems to work pretty well w/o a spring.

gwilson
05-26-2012, 02:22 PM
I have had 2 vises VERY similar to yours for many years. They were shop made
by the user. I haven't looked at mine for some time,and cannot recall if they were signed. Maybe there was a drawing for the vise floating around in some magazine many years ago. It does take a bit of planning to get the toggle link correct,so it makes me think there might have been a plan available somewhere at the time.

When I was starting out,I used one of them for a milling vise,though the toggle was a little light for that purpose. I think I had to replace a bent toggle in one vise.

jhe.1973
05-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I have had 2 vises VERY similar to yours for many years. They were shop made
by the user. I haven't looked at mine for some time,and cannot recall if they were signed. Maybe there was a drawing for the vise floating around in some magazine many years ago. It does take a bit of planning to get the toggle link correct,so it makes me think there might have been a plan available somewhere at the time.

When I was starting out,I used one of them for a milling vise,though the toggle was a little light for that purpose. I think I had to replace a bent toggle in one vise.

Funny you should mention that. When I took this vise apart after I got it home, I found that the link had been broken and welded which is why it is blue.

I thought I might make a new one out of really good tool steel, but even then this is only going to be use for light holding of small parts in a small mill.

These Elgin mills are beautiful machines but one drawback is a rather light 2 key drive, not spline, to the spindle in the quill.

Alistair Hosie
05-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Thats a nice piece of well designed metal .a vice like that is quite common here but I really like them and once had one myself till I realised I was collecting vices :D . Have fun . Alistair

sasquatch
05-26-2012, 08:11 PM
re: Jim Hannums vise:

Nice piece of workmanship there also Jim.

Even a signed vise like those if it was broken beyong repair i'd keep it.

gwilson
05-26-2012, 09:54 PM
My vises,while VERY similar,have the racks underneath made separately and screwed in. My jaws aren't as tall. Otherwise the same vise.

Be careful to not over tighten your vise because the racks will not be so easily replaced unless you can re machine a slot for new ones and make new racks.

jhe.1973
05-26-2012, 11:09 PM
My vises,while VERY similar,have the racks underneath made separately and screwed in. My jaws aren't as tall. Otherwise the same vise.

Be careful to not over tighten your vise because the racks will not be so easily replaced unless you can re machine a slot for new ones and make new racks.

Thanks for the words of caution.:)

As I was considering your advice, an idea popped into my deranged mind.

Because the lower 'rack' was made by first drilling through holes & then milling half the hole away, it might be a good idea to use a longer dowel pin (width of the vise) for the link. This would allow more support for the pin & transfer some of the stress to the solid side holes.

The pin would have to be moved each time you needed more travel for the screw, but most of the work I have in mind would be clamping & re-clamping similar sized parts.

I'm also considering relocating the screw in a downward angle if/when I make a new link.

The current link broke at the corner formed by the transition to a vertical boss for the screw.

Hmmmmmm. Maybe I should go take a photo of the link and dream a little more.

:)

krutch
05-30-2012, 06:16 PM
I have a Suburban made vise with a similar rack & screw system. The 'catch' was not fully threaded and I stripped the threads at the start of the catch by trying to get more than I should have. I eventually made a new catch out of A2 and got a longer screw. The original catch had a dowel pin for the rack to engage and my replacement is one piece. more work to make but I was able to tap deeper and get more 'throw' in the adjustment.
I try to only use the vise on the Harig or for light milling.

Mcgyver
05-30-2012, 06:43 PM
that imo is preferred style of grinding vise, so much more convenient than resetting those darn pins in the holes! good score

gwilson
05-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes,they are grinding vises. Really not made for milling.