PDA

View Full Version : A V12 in 1220 hours and only 261 pieces

gcude
05-26-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm sure this has been posted before, but first time I saw it was this morning. Anyone know this guy? He has serious talent!

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

DR
05-26-2012, 10:46 AM
The video was a little tedious so I didn't watch to the end. Does the motor actually run on gas?

The last one of these motor builds I followed showed the motor "running" on compressed air. Never could understand the point of that build.

gnm109
05-26-2012, 11:02 AM
It runs on compressed air. Wonderful machining work.

lazlo
05-26-2012, 11:54 AM
He doesn't spend a lot of time on Internet forums! :p

jhe.1973
05-26-2012, 12:39 PM
He doesn't spend a lot of time on Internet forums! :p

LOL, boy you got that right! As much as I enjoy any time here, I just can't spare as much as I would like to.

Always good to 'see' you lazlo!

P.S. I also think that there are several, perhaps many on this forum that could duplicate a project like this engine if they so desired.

mike4
05-27-2012, 08:02 AM
The video was a little tedious so I didn't watch to the end. Does the motor actually run on gas?

The last one of these motor builds I followed showed the motor "running" on compressed air. Never could understand the point of that build.
This one still required many hours of machining small parts , and then getting it assembled , it doesnt matter if it is powered by an electric drill or compressed air .
He has the patience and skill to actually make something , its far better than sitting around waiting for something to happen or sitting in the boozer getting plastered.
Michael

sasquatch
05-27-2012, 09:08 AM
I believe many of these engines run on compressed air due to demonstrating them at model engine shows , only air powered is allowed, otherwise the building would end up full of carbon monoxide. Correct?

Regardless of what it runs on, the machining is certainly good.

Weston Bye
05-27-2012, 11:11 AM
I believe many of these engines run on compressed air due to demonstrating them at model engine shows , only air powered is allowed, otherwise the building would end up full of carbon monoxide. Correct?

Regardless of what it runs on, the machining is certainly good.

Exhaust fumes haven't been much of a consideration at NAMES. Rather, I find the exhaust noise rather irritating. This past year, one guy had a particularly obnoxious sounding engine that he would fire up periodically, revving it repeatedly. It was across the hall from me, but made it impossible for me or anybody else to carry on a conversation. Most guys have the good grace to only run for less than a minute at a time, and most engines can only stand short runs - cooling systems sometimes don't scale well - but this bugger would go on for several minutes at a time. Seemed like hours...