PDA

View Full Version : Belt Gloat!

flylo
05-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Bought a prewar mail sorting steel desk 48"x28"x72" 1/8" steel gussested corners 1 drawer & the back has shelves. Going to use it for the Wabeco lathe. Cost $55. That's not the Gloat. I don't stop at many yard sales but I saw one & stopped & hit the jackpot. Bought 2 apple boxes ,the 4'x4' size full kind on new machine belts of all sizes for $10. Hundred of belts. I spent $52 total & have at least 21/2 to 3 truck loads 110V 2 ton chain hoist,12v 2 ton winch,brand new set of air-lift overloads,new camper lp stove with oven, pulleys, motors,needle bearing 10" wheels, 6" swivel casters,210 gal truck mounted tank, bus heater with blower,3-cylinder carts, an 120v elect lift cylinder a that is controlled by a small plastic slide about a 20" stroke,new 2'x2' alum diamond plate door & frame, a steel rolling workbench & more I forgot at the moment. Junk Galore! Life is good. I know I need pics.

oldtiffie
05-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Well done - truly.

But where do you store all the stuff you buy. I have seen you mention having a hangar - is that it?

flylo
05-27-2012, 01:46 AM
A 52'x84' hanger at home. 2 tee hangers at the airport, another building at home & I lease a hanger at another airport. I am getting ready to rebuild the one I lost at the airport. This time it will be 64x96. I'm a packrat & know it so I sell a lot also but when you find deals like this no one is going to pass them up. I do like having machines, belts, pulleys & motors around. I hate paying retail for anything. My junk is better than money in the bank. I've always paid for my hobbies (& I've done a lot of fun stuff) by buying & selling. Never the family budget. The "thill of the deal" is addicting. I just love to buy & sell. I guess it's my funnest hobby. I've done it for almost 40 years & was a buyer/sales manager in my real job. Here's one you'll like today I bought a new Prazi Lathe/Mill combo for my "little machine shop" when I'm less mobile. Another day another deal. Looking at a power engraving machine later today if he takes my offer. With our economy & living in the rust belt it's prime time & once it's gone, it's gone. Thanks for the reply!

mike4
05-27-2012, 07:29 AM
I agree with your attitude , you are in an enviable location , make the most of it , you are saving machines and parts from the scrapheap.

There are still some who appreciate good machine tools , unfortunately here they are few and far between , most are in the southern states .
Our manufacturing ,whats left of it was mainly in the more populated states .
I cant spare the time to drive several thousand kilometers at the moment .

Michael

sasquatch
05-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Flylo,, you are starting to remind me of "Oscar Cookes" dreamland.:D

Are you sure your'e not doing low flying over people's back yards etc and checking out all this equipment???:eek: :D

flylo
05-27-2012, 09:48 AM
I live in farm country but not too far from where a lot of manufacturing was & is done. Yes I love to fly low (hence the name) over farms & see what's behind the barn,shed,etc. Find something tag it on the GPS & land if it's a cut hayfield or go back in the truck later. It's amazing what you can't see from the road. It's easy to stike up a conversation when they know I'm the one that was flying over. You get either "I'd never go up in one of those" or "I always wanted to try that". Lots of fun meeting new friends & lots of finds!

Tamper84
05-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Man you find some good deals!!! Wish I could find that stuff around at garage sales lol

DICKEYBIRD
05-27-2012, 10:48 AM
From the thread title I thought you were gloating about how you'd quit drinkin' beer & eatin' cheeseburgers & fries and had been workin' out every morning down at the health club with all them purty ladies and had taken 6" off yer belt size!:D