PDA

View Full Version : Making a Propane Burner

rws
05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm thinking about making a cooker/smoker using a 55 gallon drum. My thought was to use it vertical, cooking grate up high just under the removable top, and at the bottom, use a propane burner to supply heat to a wood pan above the burner. I have some plate to make the wood pan with, 3/16" and can use bolts or a stand to keep it up 6" or so above the bottom of the drum.

So the burner I was thinking about could be in a circular pattern, or square, but I don't know how to make it burn clean. I have hose and a couple different regulators, but need to make the air intake and use some sort of valve to adjust the flame.

Any ideas?

JoeLee
05-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Your going to have to do some experimenting with the hole dia. in the burners, also the air mixture ratio and the volume of gas flow.
You might also find that the regulator on your gas grill propane tank.... if that is what you plan on using may not allow sufficient gas volume to flow and the result will be a weak yellow flame.
I've been through this with some burners I made for my out door fire place, and I'm still playing with it trying to get the flame to burn right.
Your best bet is to find and old round cast iron burner from an old hot water tank and go from there.

JL................

kd4gij
05-30-2012, 09:04 AM
You can get replacment cast iron for turky fryers at the big box stores prity cheap thay have the orfic regulator with valve. or pick up a used turky fryer at a garge sale or flee market.

davidh
05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
i made a smoker from an old air compressor tank. about 14" diameter and 3 feet long (high), and stood it on end. i even left the wheels and handle on it. i used two 110 volt hotplate elements and the two controls from it for heat. cut a couple doors in it for the wood pan and an additional shelf for a water pan and turned it on. . . . worked great. electric is so easy

i made some salmon the first try, it turned out like jerky.

then i did chicken breast. . . that turned out great.

tried fish again, watching the temp closely with a temp gun. i had it pretty much down to a science as far as time and temp was concerned.

the wifey tod me she really dislikes smoked fish and will buy it at the supermarket if she wants any, and smoked chicken is not her favorite dish either. &^^^%)(*&*#@

smoker has been retired to the barn. but it does make the barn smell great. . . . .

another card removed from the bucket list. :=)

RWO
05-30-2012, 01:43 PM
You could use a new commercial burner and regulator that is engineered to work properly and save a lot of time. They aren't that expensive

http://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/cooker-parts.html

RWO

oldhat
05-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Hi All

In a pottery shop in Austin it has 3 sizes of burners all under $20.00 you could stop by a pottery shop near you and give them a look.

Bill.
;)

Alistair Hosie
05-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Why not get the burner assembly from an old gas central heating boiler?on a typical heater for a house they have great big controlable gas jets-burners already to more or less use straight out of the box. Alistair

lazlo
05-30-2012, 04:25 PM
In a pottery shop in Austin it has 3 sizes of burners all under $20.00 you could stop by a pottery shop near you and give them a look.

Bill, those $20 burners at Armadillo Clay are heads for for blown burners. They're basically nozzles.

I *think* the OP is asking for a self-contained venturi burner, like a weed burner. Very different animal.

wierdscience
05-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Here's a thread that might help-

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?28224-pipe-burner-build-instructions

Chester
05-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Try this one for more info.........love that flame colour.

http://nanosleep.dyndns.org/griddle/

The usual orifice (jet/nozzle) size is..........

Nat. Gas......5/64"

Propane...... #62 Drill.

lakeside53
05-30-2012, 10:42 PM
HUH??:eek: I thought you guys were machinists!

Make your own pipe burner. It can be as simple as a bunch of Black Iron plumbing parts, or, make your own out of 316 and 304 stainless with a custom injector. When you get sick of smoking, use it for your forge.

Here's mine - 3/4" body. Very stable over wide gas pressures and air intake adjustments. Overkill for your smoker, but it can be throttled back, or make a smaller version. I also made a pair for Metalmagpie. He can fill you in on the details and tell you other options.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff150/lakeside53/misc%20linked%20uploads/DSCN2673Medium.jpg

Close up of the air intake and propane injector. Brass rod drilled and tapped for a mig tip.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff150/lakeside53/misc%20linked%20uploads/DSCN2674Medium.jpg

Expansion end : step and a 12:1 internal flare. This get red hot and takes lot of abuse... so I made it "thick" so it can be remachined as required.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff150/lakeside53/misc%20linked%20uploads/DSCN2676Medium.jpg

metalmagpie
05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Like the man said I use pipe burners which came out of the blacksmith world, where the emphasis is on efficiency, getting the last BTU out of the propane. I use pipe burners in my cookers, running them straight into a firebrick which scatters the heat.

The burner that lakeside53 showed was a slight improvement over the 3/4" burner design presented in Mike Porter's book "Gas Burners For Propane Furnaces & Kilns".

metalmagpie

Lew Hartswick
05-31-2012, 09:30 AM

http://nanosleep.dyndns.org/griddle/.
Yep that is one pretty set of flame tips.
...lew...

flylo
05-31-2012, 11:03 AM

http://nanosleep.dyndns.org/griddle/

The usual orifice (jet/nozzle) size is..........

Nat. Gas......5/64"

Propane...... #62 Drill.

Thank you, thay's just what I was looking for as I plan to make a 3'x8' griddle from a 1" thick layout/surface plate for EAA fly-in breakfast. I'll put an axle under it & a place to haul two 100# LP tanks,plus 4 trailer jacks. I have 2 more much larger, one is a 4x8 & 8000#(without the 5 legs which are at least 4-500# ea) Do-All with the original flattness sticker. The other is my welding table. Once again glad I saved them from the scrapper.

thebigron
05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
My brother uses for fish frying equipment the standard zerk fitting for grease. They of course come in a variety of bases and he takes an ice pick and shoves it in the ball end and opens the metal out a bit; the ball and spring pop out and there you go. Works good, easy to replace and keeps the flame and corrosion away from your pipe.

Tel
05-31-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm with lakeside53 - I've made 4 burners identical to that - from a little 1/2" one up to a 1 1/4" 'monster' - they will melt brass with ease!

jeremy13
05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Bradford White water heaters still have cast-iron burners in the propane model. I would go with a low presser burner. You want a pleasant time cooking. With the high presser jet burners (one big flame) you will need earmuffs to have a peaceful cooking experience.

mikem
07-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Do you use a regulator between the tank and the burner?

Does the top picture of lakeside's burner show a typical adjustment of the sliding air adjuster?

I am going to try to build one of those!

Thanks to all!

PTSideshow
07-05-2012, 06:08 AM
More than you may want to know (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)

mikem
07-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Are some designs quieter when they run?

I am thinking that if I round the edges of air inlet that might make it less noisy?

thanks--Mike.

Gazz
07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
I see quite a few old gas grills on the curb and many of them have a burner for keeping a pan of sauce or other stuff warm. There are alos gas stove top burners out there - I have a three bruner and a single burner that are sort of like camp stops. And a propane camp stove might be another option for you.

lakeside53
07-05-2012, 11:48 AM

I am thinking that if I round the edges of air inlet that might make it less noisy?

thanks--Mike.

You can see in mine that the inlet edges are all tapered, including the underside of the slide. The idea is to reduce resistance and turbulence at those points to allow maximum airflow. However, that is not where significant noise comes from; that's from the expanding burning gas/air mixture (which isn't that loud at all!).

The pipe burner design is efficient and gives high output in a small device. Efficiency does make a difference if you are going for large or long burns. It would suck to run out of gas on an overnight meat cook!

Errol Groff
07-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Hmmmm. Wife.....smoker. Wife....smoker. Hmmmm?

Boucher
07-05-2012, 01:43 PM

thanks--Mike.
There is a significant difference in noise that is dependant on the orfice size. On the fish friers where you are lookin for a given amount of heat output the smaller orfice and the higher pressure that it requires is noiser. On the fish friers using 2" pipe I now use a 0.063 orfice and for the 3/4" pipe burners I use a 0.043 orfice. The earlier comment about using a greese zerk is a good idea but you grind a little off the back end to remove the spring and ball. This makes a .063 orfice. For the smaller ones I use a .035 mig tip which runs about .041 and enlarge it with a #57 drill.