PDA

View Full Version : Steady Rest

Bryce.R
05-30-2012, 10:33 PM
I am wondering.....If you have a large bar and want to part it, can use use the steady?:confused:

RetiredFAE
05-30-2012, 10:41 PM
I've done that a few times, mount the bar between the tailstock live center and the chuck, with the steady rest as close to the cutoff point as possible.
Cut it off between the chuck and the steady rest.

When it parts off, neither of the two sections falls to the bed, which is always a good thing I think.

lakeside53
05-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Pretty hard on the steady. I'd use the tailstock center, BUT stop before you go all the way though and cut the rest another way - like a hacksaw.

edit -the post above mine works also, but you are really just use using the steady as a "catch".

Forrest Addy
05-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Trick is cut to length before the lathe work. Thay is if you can/. The exception being through the spindle bar work in a turret lathe or bar feed turning center.

Otherwise, how you handle it depends on the scale of the work. Small stuff you can catch in your hand you part between steady and tailstock. Back away the center at the last moment even for long work.

Middling weight catch in a wood V or tray blocked up on the bed. .

Large work (tons) run steadies on both sides of the part.

I used a parta-band and a couple times; I even dismounted a 7 x 12 import cut-off saw to get the 3" in the center I couldn't reach with a parting tool. I caught flak from the boss who got huffy about doing it like a "real machinist" but the whole evolution took only his lunch hour even re-assembling the cut-off saw. I was quick in them days

This boss didn't last long. He was a buddy of the boss's kid - a good knowledgable guy himself but he made a promise. Anyway an out of work bakery production supt has no business supervising a small gung-ho job shop.

oldtiffie
05-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Any reason why it could not be done with several moves/bites on a band saw?

If I were doing it between the steady and the tail-stock I'd have the parting tool inverted and run the spindle in reverse. That way any "chatter" caused by "play" in the steady armes is avoided plus the thrust from the job is down-ward onto two steady arms instead of upward onto the single upper/vertical arm.

Run fairly slowly and keep the parting tool in-feed up as far as it will go.

I'd really just take into my steel provider/merchant and get him to cut it either on a cold-saw or a very big auto band-saw. They might even do it while I wait - otherwise 1/2 > 1 day which is OK as we pass his premises several times a week. Cost is minimal.