PDA

View Full Version : Photo: Another Old School Shop

Carl
02-29-2004, 04:10 AM
http://img11.photobucket.com/albums/v35/lathefan/6438c3eb.jpg

bernie
02-29-2004, 07:17 AM
OK. Firstly, that looks like a pretty small motor running alot of machines. Rather odd looking motor as well.
Have any of you guys worked in a line drive shop like that? How do you change speeds without stopping everyone else? Is each machine "clutched" off the line drive?

thanks for the info and Carl for the pics.

John Stevenson
02-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Bernie,
There are fast and loose pullies for each machine. The fast one is obviously fastened to the line shafting and the loose one is on bearings at the side of it.
Some machine have a fork that the belt runs thru and can be moved dideways to select fast or loss, a vintage stop, start.
Some don't have this fork and the operator pushed the belt over with a stick.

This picute is a staged shot as you can see the stationary armature of the motor.
From the pic of the motor is is probably a DC or slip ring AC motor which will be more powerfull for it's size than an AC induction motor.
Also no being able to see the legth of the motor I could only take a guess at 35 to 40 HP.

John S.

G.A. Ewen
02-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Weren't they called a "dynamo" in those days?

What do you think is the purpose of the oval tanks on the lathe in the foreground?

bernie
02-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks for that explanation John.

wierdscience
02-29-2004, 01:29 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John Stevenson:
Bernie,
Some machine have a fork that the belt runs thru and can be moved dideways to select fast or loss, a vintage stop, start.
Some don't have this fork and the operator pushed the belt over with a stick.

John S.</font>
Stick?We didn't use no stinking stick http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Sticks are too expensive and time consuming,we use our hands,quick flip of the wrist is all thats needed,but watch out for the lacing wire.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 02-29-2004).]

SJorgensen
02-29-2004, 05:10 PM
I'd say the two guys nearest the work bench are the shop mucky-mucks. They get to work closest to that Air-Conditioner in the window. These guys are ahead of their time.

Peter S
02-29-2004, 06:30 PM
SJorgensen, my guess is that the 'box of tricks' above the workbench is something to do with the motor above?

G.A. Ewan, I guess it is possible that we are looking at a dynamo, maybe there is an oil or gas engine driving the shafting, and they are also generating power for the lighting? If everthing was running we might have been able to see which side of the belt was slack, and work out if it was being driven or driving (working back from the lathe rotation)....

The machine in the right foreground is interesting, I don't know what it is, looks like twin spindles. Can't see where it gets its drive from either.

spope14
02-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Nice pics. Good to visit the past.

Here is a link to see the new shop I have. All that is missing are pics of the NakaTome CNC lathe.

http://homepage.fcgnetworks.net/spope/

John Stevenson
02-29-2004, 06:43 PM
The main shaft runs down the right hand side of the shop and transmits to the left shaft, then to the machines.
The machine, front foreground is probably driven off a new shaft not seen in the picture.
I'd still go with that being the main motor as the belt is the largest and goes to the main shaft on the right.
The box underneath will be the starter for the motor, probably DC as I said and able to be notched up for power as needed. No use running one of these at high amps when only a couple of machines are running, you excite more coils as needed.

If they need a dynamo for lights it would be a load , just like a lathe and be off the side shafts. A set of lights in a place like this would only require a few amps and nowhere near the amount that motor could put out if it were a dynamo.

John S.

Doc Nickel
02-29-2004, 10:56 PM
Actually, I agree with the others. That doesn't look like a large enough motor to be running all those tools. You can see from what looks like a lifting ring it's not all that long.

The design, actually, reminds me a great deal more of an alternator or generator than a motor, and the coiled leads behind it look like they run right into the doodad below, which looks like it has a big dial or handle on it. DC converter? Speed controller?

Also, I second the vote that it's posed. I don't see any chips on the floor below the foreground guy's machine. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I would like to know what that right-hand-most machine is... is all that gunk on the righthand end a bar-feeder of some kind? Note that it doesn't look like the machine has a carrige.

Doc.

J Tiers
03-01-2004, 02:00 AM
I'd be betting that is the motor, but probably not for the whole shop. Very possible that the shaft for the far side has another motor. That way the whole place doesn't have to be on at once.

If they have electric, they have lights. A dynamo would be with the prime mover if there was one.

And, the motor is almost surely as deep as the coils are wide, or slightly longer if any. Very standard motor for that era.

It could easily be several HP, which would run the stuff in that area fine. The belt is quite wide, at least 6 or 8 inches, which with a double-ply belt would be good for 12 to 16 HP at least. That suggests it could run quite a few of those lathes.

Thise are mostly small lathes, at least the nearer ones.