PDA

View Full Version : Water soluble oil ???

mototed
05-31-2012, 05:09 PM
I need a little help. I'm using Rustlick soluble coolant on my band saw and mill.
I have these machines in the basement shop with runs a dehumidifier and air- conditioning. I think the water is evaporating out.
The coolant turns back to mostly oil after about a month or two. Starts out milky white, then turns brown after a while. If I just add some make up water, it doesn't remix, just gets white and brown stripes. Like the bottle says "oil in last".
Any tips on how to get this stuff to re-emulsify?
Thanks,
Ted

SavedbyHim
05-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a lot of tramp oil getting mixed in. I use the exact same stuff, love it by the way, and I have to be sure to skim the top of the tank with paper towels every now and then. Also, it may help to get a coolant viscosity gauge as well, they are about $60.00 from enco.

Paul Alciatore
05-31-2012, 05:32 PM
"dehumidifier and air- conditioning"? The first thing I would do is try to keep a tight lid on the tank. Perhaps add a bit of water on a daily basis before it gets too bad.

mototed
05-31-2012, 06:08 PM
I like it dry enough for nose bleeds. :D
Band saw tank is not air tight. I have a piece of filter fabric over top of the tank for the coolant to run through. I think I can redesign it to a smaller return opening. Is there some kind of BP dispersant I could add, or do I need to throw it out?
There are no tramp oils, and although the coolant changed colors, it does not smell at all. Looks like it reverted back to a unmixed state.

lakeside53
05-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Put it in the wife's blender.:D

Takes mine about 4-6 months to separate if I don't use it, or a few freezes. I just add a little more; the pump remixes it.

becksmachine
05-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Is it WS5050?

I have the same problem, I haven't asked officially but I suspect that I let it freeze in the barrel. Since then it hasn't been the same.

Dave

lakeside53
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
No, but I suspect they will all separate when frozen. Mine specifically says to store above freezing, but...

Forrest Addy
05-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Add water add boilinghot water then stir jut like tea.

Coolant is relatively cheap (compared to carbinde inserts for example or saw blades). Generall after a few months it's time to change it anyway which is a good time for a general whole-saw clean-up.

A clean saw seldon gets skanky coolant unless you saw cast iron. For some reason my coolant gets nasty a few weeks afers I saw any amount of cast iron.