PDA

View Full Version : uncut spokes

darryl
05-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Part of what I saved from the trash man a few weeks ago was some packages of uncut spokes. They look like chrome plated steel spokes, not butted, and are not threaded. They came with a package of threaded nipples. I'm just wondering how one is supposed to go about threading them. The usual is rolled threads, but I can't see a motorcycle shop having a machine to roll threads. I've just compared a spoke that came out of a motorcycle wheel, and the diameter is the same, though larger across the thread crests.

The questions are- are these meant to be threaded by a conventional die-would a motorcycle shop actually be able to roll threads- what might the thread be- might these actually be different threads than the old ones I have?

These new spokes are made by BRC, and the old ones came out of a Triumph wheel.

Chances are the old ones are some british thread, while the new ones are metric. I don't know if there's a standard for spoke threads or not. I know the new nipple doesn't quite fit the old threads. All these spokes are about .156 diameter near as I can read (don't have my glasses on).

Alan Smith
05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Well for bicycle spokes you use something like this http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=spoke+thread+cutter&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1169734340269578960&sa=X&ei=KO7HT73WDeG00QXq1_GLDw&ved=0CIMBEPMCMAY#ps-sellers

terry_g
05-31-2012, 07:09 PM
I worked in a motorcycle shop and we had a tool that would roll threads on spokes. It was for three sizes only if I remember correctly they were 6, 8 and 10 gauge.

Terry

darryl
05-31-2012, 08:55 PM
I was envisioning something more complicated than it needs to be, obviously. I looked up some images of thread-rolling machines, and some are quite simple actually. Three threaded rollers converging on a central axis, turned by hand. Groove with washer under bolt to hold spoke.

Now I'm wondering if I missed such a device while going through the remnants of the bike shop stuff.

No matter anyway- I'm just wondering what use I can make of these spokes and nipples. Highly unlikely I'll be spoking a wheel.

The thread seems odd- it's 32tpi, but it is sloppy on a -32 bolt. None of the metric sizes I have fit it. There's a slight chance it could be a 10-32 but I don't seem to have one to check it with.

sasquatch
05-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Hmmmm, back scratchers?:D

Gotta be something they could be used for or built into something.

darryl
05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Looks like it should be a 9-32- how odd is that. Maybe what's supposed to happen is you roll the threads until the nipple fits well without much slop- ultimate size being of no value. Seems odd to me.

Back scratcher- yeah, just tried that. That works- :)

Oh, just saw a chart that explains it- it's a BC2.0- now I fully understand- not!

Looks like I have several dozen foot long pieces of high carbon steel, 5/32 rod to make use of.

bruto
05-31-2012, 09:35 PM
There's a standard spoke threading tool made by Hozan, rather expensive, with dies that fit various size spokes.

here's one sold with bicycle size die, but the same machine was used for larger, motorcycle spokes. Pitch is set on die, but overall diameter can be varied. The rolled threads are strong and easily formed to whatever length you need.

http://www.hozan.co.jp/cycle_e/catalog/wheel/C-700.htm

Keith Krome
06-02-2012, 09:31 PM
For bicycle spokes, there are a number of companies that make spoke threading machines. The Hozan one has been mentioned. It is actually rather inexpensive. Phil Wood (USA), Morizumi (Japan), Kowa (Korea) are a few. They are all in the $3000-4000 dollar range. The professional machines have 2 flat opposing dies, a stationary one and a moving one. They can thread a spoke with one stroke of a lever.

I don't know what a motorcycle shop would use. My spoke threader only does 14-15 gauge spokes. I hear that the Hozan can go down to 11 with the appropriate roller dies. It is my understanding that the Hozan style will not do full thread in one pass, but requires multiple rolling passes with the roller die being adjusted between passes.

darryl
06-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I watched a video of one in use. It has three threaded rollers to correspond to the thread being rolled, and the rollers are adjusted a few times as you roll the thing by hand, back and forth. The adjustment is by crescent wrench.

With three rollers it's a pressure-balanced design, not requiring any large and heavy framework to contain it all, as I was previously envisioning. It looks like an apple peeler- definitely doesn't look like 3-4 grand worth, more like $100 with one set of rollers.

In any event, the threaded nipples don't have a usable size of thread in them, although it is 32 tpi. I don't intend to ever use these as spokes, so they go in the drawer as bits and pieces. I did use one spoke yesterday for a pin, so for the little space it all takes up it's worth saving the lot.

I haven't tried enlarging the nipple threads to 10-32, but I think that will be easy- then I could use them at least in some project.

Yup- just re-threaded one. They can be used as countersunk nuts.