PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your favorite post.

John Stevenson
06-01-2012, 05:06 PM
OK vote time.

You can't vote for yourself and it has be be a unique or out of the ordinary article.

Can be large or small, just has to be interesting and of use to the voter.

I'll start the ball rolling.
I was going to vote Evans Delrin nut thread but I had read about this elsewhere previously but full marks to Evan he did take it a stage further.

However my vote still goes to Evan for this thread.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=36557

I have made some of these lights and the buld he recomends is ace but hilight of the thread was this gem that probably many missed.

The goose neck is a part that is usually the weakest part of a flexible lamp assembly so I made one that won't sag, ever. It is 10 strands of black iron tie wire twisted together as a single bundle.

Loop enough wire five times around your hand and elbow and straighten out the loops to make a 10 wire bundle. Clamp one end in a vise and stick a wrench in the other and twist until it is a not too tight but compact bundle of wires. Tape up the bundle with some electrical tape.

Then cover the neck with some wiring harness sleeve to look nice and protect the wires. Keep track of which wire is positive by using different colours of wire or by some other system of marking.

http://ixian.ca/pics6/ledwl1.jpg

If you have ever had a machine light that insists on committing Harold Carry by falling into a spinning chuck at 120,000 rpm then you will REALLY appreciate this.

dp
06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Richard Carlstedt's USS Monitor steam engine project:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27572

Maybe even deserves the lifetime achievement award:
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Carlstedt.htm

lynnl
06-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Wow, that's a tough choice to make. I've been coming here a long time and there've been no end of really good (interesting and useful) postings.

Probably bborr01's "Shop Made Tools," in a sense is the best since it has become so inclusive. But I don't think that's what's intended.

I don't remember who first posted it, but I'd probably vote for the topic of hobbing a worm and worm gear with a shop made acme threaded tap.

Mcgyver has provided a lot of good ones, as did G.A Ewan in years past, and certainly you, John. And Evan.... But I have difficulty recalling or isolating any one specific thread.

lakeside53
06-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Mine goes to Sir John's treatice on steadies...

gvasale
06-01-2012, 06:08 PM
do pillarys count if they are occupied?

Boucher
06-01-2012, 07:30 PM
John Stevensonís swinging thread tool and Lakeside53ís microswitch to facilitate threading to a shoulder are the two most beneficial in my shop. The HSS shear tool grind comes in close at #3. Replacing the compound with a tooling block has probably saved me more grief than any other suggestion.

lakeside53
06-01-2012, 11:16 PM
lol... I'd forgot about that!

George Bulliss
06-02-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm going to stretch the limits of the requirement for one favorite post a bit. I'm not sure how many posts there were, but I enjoyed every one that mentioned Evan's CNC mill. That is one of the best home-built CNCs I've ever seen. When you look at the equipment he started the build with, and the results achieved, it's simply amazing.

George

uncle pete
06-02-2012, 01:39 AM
George,
The pictures of Evans mill just don't properly convey it's size or capabilities either. It's also the very first CNC machine I ever got to see operating in person.

I'm not all that sure one single post can be classed as "the best or most usefull". There's far too many topics that would involve just how badly you needed the exact info. And there really are too many people here who could be classed as true professionals. But I've yet to see any good question go unanswered. The exact answer may not be what you really wanted to hear or agree with though.:D

Pete

sasquatch
06-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I have to agree with Uncle Pete, there are just too many darn good postings here to choose from. Beautifully done projects, clever innovations, excellent tips on methods of work, etc, and along with the great bunch of guys with a great sense of humor, just too much to ever pick one.:confused:

sasquatch
06-02-2012, 10:01 AM
i will add though i really enjoyed Mcgyver's pics of his shop,,, And one of the most lengthy and detailed builds was of Brian Rupnows "Donkey" engine.

wierdscience
06-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Yep,too many good ones to pick just one.Evan's Mill ,Rich's Monitor engine and I would add Lane's Shaper build are all near the top in my book and probably a bunch of others that have slipped my mind.

A.K. Boomer
06-02-2012, 10:36 AM
There's so many worthy and to pick just one would be unfair to so many others,

Evan's Mill is awesome and I don't know how many people Iv showed that too, and Sir Johns ingenious ways of gittin er done, Gwilson and all his stuff is an honorable mention along with dozens of other EXTREMELY talented guys,

But --- there's two posts on here that stick out in my mind that sum up the spirit of HSM and I can't even choose a winner between them so I will just mention them both as all time favorites and there is a wealth of info and variety in either one of them.

The First is "Shop made tools" by Bborr.

and the second is the more recent "Ghetto repairs" by Motoradmike.

Michael Hall
06-02-2012, 12:53 PM
There are so many great post I don't know if you can rate one over another. One project that needs mentioning is S_J_H cnc lathe project:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=24690&highlight=lathe

Michael

flylo
06-02-2012, 01:50 PM
. Plus 1!

There's so many worthy and to pick just one would be unfair to so many others,

Evan's Mill is awesome and I don't know how many people Iv showed that too, and Sir Johns ingenious ways of gittin er done, Gwilson and all his stuff is an honorable mention along with dozens of other EXTREMELY talented guys,

But --- there's two posts on here that stick out in my mind that sum up the spirit of HSM and I can't even choose a winner between them so I will just mention them both as all time favorites and there is a wealth of info and variety in either one of them.

The First is "Shop made tools" by Bborr.

and the second is the more recent "Ghetto repairs" by Motoradmike.

elf
06-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I think most of the American presidential candidates are posts. I'm curious why someone in the UK would want us to vote for one though :confused:

mototed
06-02-2012, 05:47 PM
I like Evans posts, He has so many fields covered.
Brian Runpow and his threads are great also.
Any openings up there in Canada, I would be a good neighbor.