PDA

View Full Version : Rohm Keyed Drill Chucks on sale (Enco)

KEJR
06-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Hello,

I just noticed that Enco is having a sale again on Rohm "Made in Germany" keyed Drill chucks. I've read some stuff on this forum and other forums about Rohm and it has been both good and bad. I'm looking to replace my el cheapo no name brand 1/2" key chuck on the mill which is a good compact chuck between my enco keyless 3/8" chuck and my 5/8" jacobs super chuck.

Just to note, the el cheapo key chuck doesn't fit the chuck key it came with well and has quite a bit of runout.

I've always liked Jacobs but have heard bad things about recent manufacture of Jacobs chucks or else I'd buy a #34 chuck new (1/2" capacity). I might still get a jacobs though, I am somewhat torn.

If anyone has used the new Rohm and Jacobs chucks feel free to chime in.

Thanks,
KEJR

lazlo
06-01-2012, 09:07 PM
If anyone has used the new Rohm and Jacobs chucks feel free to chime in.

Jacobs went out of business years ago (nearly 12 years). The Danaher corporation bought them, and rebranded Chinese drill chucks as "Jacobs".

Real (old-stock) Jacobs are superb.

sasquatch
06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
I just bought a Rohm chuck for my drill press , so far i'm pleased with it, seems to be decent quality.

flylo
06-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I really dislike Danaher!:mad:

KEJR
06-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Lazlo: Any tricks for determining what relative year the Jacobs chucks are used or NOS? I've seen some stuff on ebay that is "new" but at a used/NOS price but I didn't know if it was jsut overstock or surplus prices on the new chinese stuff.

KEJR
06-01-2012, 09:34 PM
I just bought a Rohm chuck for my drill press , so far i'm pleased with it, seems to be decent quality.

Did you get the inexpensive plain bearing chucks? Any chance you checked the runout with a ground pin? I'm not looking for super precision in a drill chuck but I don't want something with visible wobble!

Thanks,
KEJR

Ohio Mike
06-01-2012, 09:54 PM
If the chuck says "Jacobs Made In USA" its a US chuck, and if it says "Jacobs USA" its not.

sasquatch
06-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Plain bearing chuck but never yet checked the run out it just looked great.:D

KEJR
06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
If the chuck says "Jacobs Made In USA" its a US chuck, and if it says "Jacobs USA" its not.

Thanks Mike, that should be easy as most of the listings have close up pictures.

uncle pete
06-02-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm pretty sure Rohm have a two or even possibly a 3 tier quality level. The first Rohm branded chuck I handled was pure junk and it looked like it. Today I'm thinking it just may have been counterfeit? I did buy one thru Busy Bee here in Cauckistan for about $60 some years ago that is actualy very good. And then there's Rohm's higher end commercial chucks that are supposed to be as good or better than anything else built today.

Jacobs? Now there's a prime example of how to destroy customer confidence and loyalty. The money men and bean counters who brokered that fiasco should have their largest "super" chuck inserted at high velocity where the sun doesn't shine. They really are far overpriced for the quality there built down to today.

It's too bad that Glacern Machine Tools haven't yet decided to produce a ball bearing keyed chuck. Their keyless chucks are a hell of a good deal, And that's in a side by side comparison to a $300 Albrecht.

Pete

oldtiffie
06-02-2012, 03:18 AM
I've pretty well settled on good (very good actually) German keyless chucks although the Chinese keyed chucks that came with my Sieg X3 mills really were and are excellent.

KEJR
06-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Hello,

Thanks all for your good advice. I have an albrecht 1/2" chuck that I got for really cheap that needs some TLC (the chuck jaws are a bit loose). Maybe I'll rebuild that and just deal with the extra length of the chuck. Maybe I'll try looking for a Jacobs 34 chuck with the "Made in USA" on it in the mean time.

KEJR

lazlo
06-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Maybe I'll try looking for a Jacobs 34 chuck with the "Made in USA" on it in the mean time.

I'm really fond of the Jacobs 14N ball bearing chuck. You won't find Made in USA versions anywhere at a retail store -- they've been extinct for at least a decade. I've seen Rohm chucks that were also very nice, but I've never owned one, and I don't know the price/quality tier. YMMV.

If you buy a chuck on Ebay, be forewarned: I went through two of them before I found a good one. The first one the owner didn't know how to press off the sleeve, and the rear surface of the body had been mangled, then heated with an oxy torch. The second one had badly spun jaws. In both cases, the pictures were carefully posed to hide the damage.

This was during Ebay's retaliatory feedback phase, so both sellers told me to stuff it, and I couldn't leave negative feedback.

But there are NIB and good condition Jacobs ball-bearing chucks on Ebay, and the rebuild kits are dirt cheap ($15 - $20).

KEJR
06-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm really fond of the Jacobs 14N ball bearing chuck.

This is probably a nice chuck for the size/performance ratio. I have the 16N and it is just a little too big for most things I do. I should keep an eye out for the 14N as well as it would cover most of my chucking needs with just a little more knee cranking going from mill to drill. It wouldn't be a bad idea to snag one before the good used ones get bought up.

I just looked over my albrecht $30 "Tool show" chuck and it appears to be in good shape with 0.002" runout, but there is a bit of axial movement and the jaws are loose when the chuck is not tight. I'm not sure if I need new jaws or just need to move and tighten the collar. I am planning on disassembly at some point so maybe I should just wait and see what it looks like apart. Not like I need another tool rebuild project, but I already own it so.... :o)

Thanks,
Ken