PDA

View Full Version : Machining Video`s

lane
06-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Been watching these video`s on you tube buy Turn Wright machine of a week now . Very good . must have about 50 different ones . Look for KEF971. This guy Keith like me believes in Get er Done
Here is the link. To get you started then look for more .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-bT8WyTPM&feature=relmfu

camdigger
06-02-2012, 01:10 AM
+1

I found his set on line boring pretty good. Some unique work - arounds that make perfect sense...

pwasbury
06-02-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks for posting that link Lane, I've enjoyed those video's more than
any I have found on YouTube so far.

Paul

lazlo
06-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Beautiful machine, beautiful restoration!

You don't realize how big the machine is until he gets down off the head!

The squeaking in the drive gear box would drive me crazy -- I haven't watched part two yet :)

aboard_epsilon
06-02-2012, 07:35 AM
i like the babbit pour one ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZh2VZbqQiI&feature=plcp

something i know nothing about

dont like how he just plonks that shaft heavily down on the mill table ..could make dings in the shaft or the mill table...then again ..i know nothing about babbit ...but i would not be dinging things down like that ....every thing else looks like he really knows what hes doing.

all the best.markj

RussZHC
06-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Many thanks for posting this link, EASILY very near the top, if not the top of the list as far as machining/welding/fabrication.

So far, only to page 4, my favorite has been "Strutting", to me none of it simple (everything is on slight angles it seems) but the steps shown and information given are all so well ordered it is almost "easy" to understand (how, why, wherefores)

wierdscience
06-02-2012, 09:27 AM
His channel is one of the few I subscribe to,lots of good content from a good machinist.

I like his method of using a tracer attachment to cut Prop shaft profiles,real slick operation.

Tamper84
06-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Him and tubal cain on there are the channels I frequent the most! Love the vids. I would love to work with him for a little while to learn!!!

lane
06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Yes I gives you some idea of what life is like in a working Job Shop. And from all I saw he does things about the same way I do . Dont think i would do much different. And I find it very uncanny how he even looks like me if he did not have that silly beard with the beads on it. I like the way he built his press . And his k& t is nice.

lazlo
06-02-2012, 12:06 PM
I find it very uncanny how he even looks like me if he did not have that silly beard with the beads on it.

You don't have beads on your goatee Lane? How do you keep it out of the machinery? :D

dp
06-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm really impressed with the quality of his camera work - using good angles and lighting all along the way. His inline comments are ad lib without sounding like he's struggling for words. A good indication he knows his business. He did a recovery on a turbo charger that had two broken bolts and a broken easy out, and he took the time to fab a cover for the oil port and turned a stub for the coolant line to keep junk out. That attention to detail is some serious stuff. And lordy does he have the cool toys!

lazlo
06-02-2012, 01:25 PM
LOL! I just watched his videos trying to true-up a Harbor Freight carbide grinder to get the runout low enough to run a diamond wheel! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkUho_QCnDs

"When I first turned it on, you could have put a saddle on it and charged for rides on it at a saloon!"
At 2:00, he does a close-up on the right wheel, and it has ~ 20 thou wobble -- and that was the replacement for the bucking bronco...

Exact same experience I (and a lot of other folks here) had. At $60/hour (or whatever he charges) he could have bought a Baldor ;)

dp
06-02-2012, 03:13 PM
He's learning what we all know - the HF grinder is a kit. Some fitting, assembly, and wheel replacement required :)

Not a bad grinder once you've done all that, though.

jkilroy
06-03-2012, 01:34 PM
I do enjoy the videos, his projects and commentary style are enjoyable. I have noticed several lapses in shop safety practice however. In one video he is reaching over a large spinning chuck to use a file on a work piece with a long sleeve shirt on, all the while the work piece is very close to the chuck. A rather major safety offense. In another video he is welding with no coverage over his arms, can you say skin cancer! There are others, no safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. throughout his library.

The only reason I bring this up is that he has "viewers" that are learning from him, he is providing a role model in a sense, and he should be meticulous in his shop safety practice. Very rarely, in his videos, does he mention safety gear, or safe technique. It would be of great value if he did.

lazlo
06-03-2012, 05:13 PM
I have noticed several lapses in shop safety practice however. In one video he is reaching over a large spinning chuck to use a file on a work piece with a long sleeve shirt on

Yeah, but he's got all his fingers. ;) He's been a pro machinist for a *long* time, and he's obviously very talented. As he says when he's sanding the mounting plates on the Harbor Freight tool grinder by spinning it up and sticking sandpaper on the spinning plate: "Don't do this at home."

By the way, that rebuild of the Harbor Freight grinder was a tragic waste of his skills, but this section of the video where he made a replacement nut was amazing. Now I know why Lane, John, Darin et al can make stuff like this so fast -- practice, practice, practice:

http://youtu.be/oDpg-rEBSgs?t=6m

dp
06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
By the way, that rebuild of the Harbor Freight grinder was a tragic waste of his skills, but this section of the video where he made a replacement nut was amazing. Now I know why Lane, John, Darin et al can make stuff like this so fast -- practice, practice, practice:

I took a lot of mental notes in that vid series. His mind works like a turret lathe - wouldn't want to play chess with him.

lazlo
06-03-2012, 05:22 PM
I took a lot of mental notes in that vid series. His mind works like a turret lathe

+1. He had a neat commentary at the end of his hydraulic press video musing about project management (my translation): he talks about breaking big projects (like the press) down into little pieces, and that making progress even on small projects ends up finishing a very big project.

That's major words of wisdom for me: I have precious little time in the shop, and way too many big projects...

lane
06-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I do enjoy the videos, his projects and commentary style are enjoyable. I have noticed several lapses in shop safety practice however. In one video he is reaching over a large spinning chuck to use a file on a work piece with a long sleeve shirt on, all the while the work piece is very close to the chuck. A rather major safety offense. In another video he is welding with no coverage over his arms, can you say skin cancer! There are others, no safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. throughout his library.

The only reason I bring this up is that he has "viewers" that are learning from him, he is providing a role model in a sense, and he should be meticulous in his shop safety practice. Very rarely, in his videos, does he mention safety gear, or safe technique. It would be of great value if he did.

I do that every day.Just something you learn to do in a working shop.

deltaenterprizes
06-03-2012, 11:30 PM

It only takes one time to wrap your arm around the chuck and pull you in up to your shoulder and you won't do it again!

lazlo
06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
It only takes one time to wrap your arm around the chuck and pull you in up to your shoulder and you won't do it again!

It's machine-shop natural selection: the machinists stupid enough to do that don't live long enough to become master machinists and post cool videos ;)

xalky
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Been watching these video`s on you tube buy Turn Wright machine of a week now . Very good . must have about 50 different ones . Look for KEF971. This guy Keith like me believes in Get er Done
Here is the link. To get you started then look for more .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-bT8WyTPM&feature=relmfu
I love this guy.... I stumbled on his videos while looking for a downdraft plasma table build. I'm currently building a Plasma table and was looking for different ideas for water tables and/or downdraft. For his table, he did both. I'm probably gonna do my variation of his design.

He's an old school machinist with good simple common sense solutions, which is how I like to work. KISS (keep it simple, stupid). ;)

sasquatch
06-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Agreed, excellent interesting, informative, videos by a neat guy.

Nice roomy shop and neat tidy setup!

quasi
06-05-2012, 12:01 AM
great video's, thank you for pointing them out.