PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted.. Save this old drill press?

KiddZimaHater
06-02-2012, 04:55 PM
This old Cincinnati drill press has been teasing me for the past few weeks on Craigslist.
Do you think it would be worth salvaging?
It looks beefy, but it also looks rusted up solid.
The seller lives about 2 hours from me.
Just fishin for opinions.
Antique Cincinnati drill press (http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/3003563727.html)

Fasttrack
06-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Hmm ... do you have time to take on a project? Good thing about drill presses: they're really simple. Makes restoration pretty simple compared to mills/lathes that need bearing surfaces scraped in. It could be a very fun and rewarding proejct but you have to like the work and like flat belt drive machines. Personally, I'd pass because I've got too many projects on my plate right now and it's the wrong era - I like machines from the 40's and 50's mostly.

laddy
06-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I'd sure give it a shot. Looks really neat. Soak the offending pieces for a few days and they'll loosen. Great project with a rewarding outcome.

Ohio Mike
06-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Looks like a great project. If all the gears are ok its sure thing.

sasquatch
06-02-2012, 08:00 PM
You cannot go wrong for $100.00. Looks like an easy resto if it,s all there with no broken missing pieces.

wierdscience
06-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Grab it,like said they are simple machines and have capacity far beyond any of the pipe column import glorified cake mixers on the market.

gnm109
06-02-2012, 09:29 PM
It would be a good project for electrolytic rust removal. If you have the time, they are a great unit. A friend has one that is similar and it will drill some mighty big holes assuming you have the drills.

MichaelP
06-02-2012, 09:31 PM
If I were a collector of antique machines, had unlimited shop space and a burning desire to spend my time restoring the piece, I'd take it. But I'm not. :)

lane
06-02-2012, 09:34 PM
If the gears are good enough to work and not broken are stripped,every thing else can be repaired. should not take more than a few weeks. I did one years ago all taking apart and laying in the dirt for years bent spindle and all with some parts missing.Turned out nice . if you can figure out how all is easy to fix. wire brushes make short work of rust.

Dr Stan
06-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Ditto on the resurrection. Old iron is fun to work on and you will have quite a conversation piece when you are finished.

flylo
06-02-2012, 09:56 PM
If no one has bought it in 2 weeks go see the owner nicely remind him no one has bought it & how it's a shame & extra work for him to haul it to the scrapyard offer him $40 he'll say $50 let him win & you've saved a pc of history that if you change your mind you can always recoup $50. I vote buy it! Before you leave always ask if he has or knows of any other equip not being used. That's why you let him win as he probably knows where there is much more. It's good to leave a simple card & a good impression.

gizmo2
06-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Given the lack of activity, I think I'd wait for that firm price to get limp. Otherwise, pretty cool!

bborr01
06-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Do you need a drill press? If so, a camelback like that one will probably work for a lot of jobs.

It does look like it would be an interesting project. I recall someone else here or on PM restoring one and posting pics.

Good luck whatever you decide and be sure to post pics if you decide to restore it.

Brian

DR
06-02-2012, 10:45 PM
2 hour drive for a piece of junk, huh?

Yeah, maybe, but tell him you expect cash.......no checks..

sasquatch
06-02-2012, 10:50 PM
The seller is paying the buyer???:o

thebigron
06-02-2012, 10:51 PM
My vote is for restoration; when you pick it up make sure you got plenty of chains and tightners, cause it is really top heavy. Make sure you drop the table to the bottom if you can get it to move. Some Saco Lowell Textile Grey paint if Sherwin Williams still makes it and the press will serve you well. Good Luck.

Boucher
06-02-2012, 10:59 PM
What do you guys not understand about first $100 Firm?

The table is worth $100.

MichaelP
06-03-2012, 12:27 AM
The table is worth $100. Yep, it's only a matter of finding a right person who not only agrees, but also needs the table and is willing to spend cash. ;)

wierdscience
06-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Look at it another way,he wants $100.Judging by the weight at $.15/lb he's asking scrap value for the press.He won't and shouldn't take any less.

justanengineer
06-03-2012, 01:02 AM
I cant tell too much from the pics, but many of those camelbacks had both a backgear and power feed. If it has both of those and all of the parts are still in place, $100 is not a bad deal. Even a plain camelback drill should be worth close to that at the scrapyard. If the seller has any big drills he would toss in to sweeten the deal, you might end up with a basically free machine for the price of drills.

Personally, I would take it if you have the space. A more modern industrial quality drill press will set you back several times that and not be half as fun. The standard pipe column drill press is...well....a toy compared to one of these.