PDA

View Full Version : need clever ideas

metalmagpie
06-02-2012, 06:10 PM
I picked up a 16" lathe faceplate today for cheap at a yard sale. Probably could get my money back by scrapping it.

It appears to have once been a D type, as it has six tapped holes in the back mounting boss where maybe once lugs were mounted. There are also smaller holes tapped right next to the lug holes, don't know how the thing was actually mounted. Maybe D1-5.

I doubt it has much value to a machinist. I'm wondering if it might make itself useful elsewhere in my shop. Small welding table? Industrial looking end table?

It has big cast/machined slots in it, at least big enough for Bridgeport table clamps to work on it.

Ideas? - thanks

metalmagpie

Toolguy
06-02-2012, 06:41 PM
It's probably a D1-6 or D1-8 mounting. Could you use it as a rotary welding positioning table? Turn by hand or small gear motor when welding pipe or other round objects or just to turn the project to different sides for square objects.

Mcgyver
06-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I doubt it has much value to a machinist.

maybe. me, I wouldn't sleep well if I had a lathe without a faceplate.....kind of like the spare tire, might need it 5 years from now, maybe never, but it's good that it's there. I've used them plenty over the years, although mounting a 16" would cause a deep breath and moment of psyching up!

if you sell, don't expect a buyer next week, but leave it up on kijiji or CL if you use that and someone will happen along.

mounting; the pins screw into the holes. each pin has a groove. The groove is oriented toward the second tapped hole and a cap head screw stops the pin from rotating - the pin isn't supposed to be tight, just sticking out the right distance

John Stevenson
06-02-2012, 07:57 PM
I once resurrected a bench drill with a cheese holed table by using a faceplate off an old scrap lathe

oldtiffie
06-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Use it as a marking-out plate or a lesser surface plate to save your face plate.

flylo
06-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Wish it would ship cheap I'd buy it & make it fit the 17" LeBlond. I have one but not that big.

MichaelP
06-02-2012, 09:42 PM
You can attach it on top of your smaller rotary table when needed.

Or you can use it as a frisbee when playing with your mother-in-law.

Dr Stan
06-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Or you can use it as a frisbee when playing with your mother-in-law.

Or train for the next summer Olympics. :D

lakeside53
06-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Use it to press Tortilla, or flowers, or...

BBQ griddle - slots for grease drain though.

Find another and make wheels for a cool welding bottle cart.

Find 3 more and put them on a "killer" Radio Flyer. Where was all this stuff when I was 10?

LKeithR
06-02-2012, 11:10 PM
On a D1-6 mount there are 6 holes on a 5-1/4" circle. The smaller holes are to lock the mount studs in place. On this plate do you mount the tee-nuts from the back or does it actually have slots where you can slide the nuts in from the side? The latter type are quite rare and would likely be somewhat sought after--for some setups they're much easier to use...

metalmagpie
06-03-2012, 08:23 AM
On a D1-6 mount there are 6 holes on a 5-1/4" circle. The smaller holes are to lock the mount studs in place. On this plate do you mount the tee-nuts from the back or does it actually have slots where you can slide the nuts in from the side? The latter type are quite rare and would likely be somewhat sought after--for some setups they're much easier to use...

From the back, sigh. Still, there are the kind that you can put in from the top and give a twist and then they're locked in the tightening direction.

I now figure it's a D1-8 faceplate with the mounting lugs missing. They're generally available but cost a mind-boggling $25 apiece, yow.

I'm leaning more and more towards an industrial arts end table.

metalmagpie

Your Old Dog
06-03-2012, 08:49 AM
You guys all consistently overlook the value of ambiance. Placed near the front door there a certain items that invoke confidence in your abilities from all guest who enter. You can't put enough value on that :D

aboard_epsilon
06-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Rotary collet rack , if there isnt too much webbing in the way.

all the best.markj

Abner
06-03-2012, 11:13 AM
maybe. me, I wouldn't sleep well if I had a lathe without a faceplate

I have the reverse problem, I couldn't sleep having a face plate with out a lathe to put it on. I think you can now justify 'needing' a lathe to the missus.
:p

J Tiers
06-03-2012, 12:08 PM
You can look at is as a project.......

With a big heavy faceplate, I'd be thinking "home built mini-Bullard"....

A nice friendly-sized VTL could be pretty handy to have, the stuff that is big in diameter tends not to be so long..... Unless you turn rollers or boiler parts.

metalmagpie
06-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I have the reverse problem, I couldn't sleep having a face plate with out a lathe to put it on. I think you can now justify 'needing' a lathe to the missus.
:p

Well, I do happen to have a 14" lathe with a 12" faceplate already. And this isn't at all the biggest lathe faceplate I've bought. I bought a L-3 faceplate once, think it was 39" diameter and 4" thick. I was going to make a rotating welding table out of that one, never wound up doing it. Kind of wish I still had that one, actually. But small strong clampable flat surfaces have their merits too.

tortilla press indeed - clearly lakeside53 has never pressed a tortilla. What I'd get would be 8 masa fingerlings extruded from the slots!

You know, I could put 4 swivel casters on it and just use it for a small dolly.

lakeside53
06-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Maybe so, but in my world (my dreams) each fingerling would be stuffed with cheese and bacon. Think of the faceplate as "second op":rolleyes:

The Artful Bodger
06-03-2012, 05:19 PM
A 16" faceplate would look very much like the flywheel for a shop built hit'n'miss engine!;)

rohart
06-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Get a lathe to fit it. I suppose, though, that it's on the large side for a quick sale. I agree the mounting studs are pricey, given they're just a hardened threaded stud with a cutaway milled from the side.

It took me three days last week to make a 10" faceplate, and that was only a D1-3. And I ripped the studs off a 3-jaw backplate I had. I wanted it in steel rather than CI, and the boss is removeable, so it can be repurposed in the future. But when you need a faceplate, and you don't have one, well, that's an unacceptable situation.