PDA

View Full Version : X-ray Pilot light

BobL
06-02-2012, 07:13 PM
It sounds like you guys like science stuff so I thought you might like this.

I have my compressor outside my shop in a semi soundproof enclosure so it doesn't annoy the neighbours. The compressor is on a dedicated 15A/240V line so I can turn it on/off from inside the shed just using the circuit breaker line. One problem is that I forget to turn to off and sometimes it's left on for weeks just using power and making water. I have been meaning to make a pilot light for some time and last week I managed to pick this illuminated sign out of the scrap bin at work.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l570/BobLx/Xray2.jpg http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l570/BobLx/Xray1.jpg
The sign is powered by a GPO on the same line as the compressor so that if the compressor is on the sign is illuminated. At night when I turn off the shed lights it stand out pretty clearly. It also might serve to spook anyone with less than honourable intentions if they peer through the window.

aostling
06-03-2012, 01:39 AM
It sounds like you guys like science stuff so I thought you might like this.

Your X-RAYS ON light should disparage thieves. It reminds me of an incident on the Aramoana, the New Zealand ferry on the Cook Strait route. In the mid-1970s the Mongrel Mob motorcycle gang, boarding after spending a few hours in the Picton pub, "commandeered" the top deck where passengers were prohibited. The captain got onto the P.A. and ordered them to get off the deck immediately, or they would be rendered sterile by the beam from the rotating radar antenna. There was a ten second pause in the Mob's revelry, then a hasty exit from the deck.

It's good to have another physicist on the forum. What was your dissertation subject, and what do you do now?

BobL
06-03-2012, 03:06 AM
I have a similar story but closer to the lab. We used to hire senior high school students to help out after school in our labs. Not long after one particular student started our bottle of used gold O-rings went missing from a cupboard (lets call it "cupboard A"). We put a notice on the lab notice board, "Missing from Cupboard B, one bag of highly radioactive gold missing" - it was returned to cupboard A within 48 hours.

It's good to have another physicist on the forum. What was your dissertation subject, and what do you do now?

My dissertation is converted for public consumption here (http://oklo.curtin.edu.au/). I worked in research for about 5 years and then became a university academic. For the last 13 years I have been involved more with admin than anything else but I am set to take early retirement (198 days to go - no I am not counting :D ). I'm basically worn out and finding my home shop holds far more attraction than the labs at work which are very expensive to run and plagued by OSH issues I'd rather not have to deal with.

What about your area of study?

Fasttrack
06-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Hah! Great light. I picked up a roll of tape used to mark 55 gallon drums full of "radioactive waste" and a rad sign from a FNAL a couple years ago ... not sure what to do with them. Apparently, you not supposed to just throw it away, even though the sign/tape itself isn't radioactive in the slightest.

Allan - somehow I didn't realize you were a physicist. And how the heck did you know BobL was a physicist? I'm behind the times, I guess... I took a couple of months away from the board and now I don't recongize half the names and the other half I've forgotten, apparently!

aostling
06-03-2012, 05:13 AM
I was unaware of the Oklo fossil nuclear reactors. In addition to the physics of the phenomenon, your research in Gabon must have been a natural adventure. Deep in the West African rainforest, did you ever encounter an okapi or a forest elephant?

What about your area of study?

I retired five years ago as a spacecraft thermal engineer. From 1971-78 I lived in Wellington where I worked for the Ministry of Works on a variety of mechanical engineering projects, including tunnel ventilation, earthquake isolation of bridges, and structural design.

I did not mean to imply that I was a physicist too.

BobL
06-03-2012, 06:30 AM
I was unaware of the Oklo fossil nuclear reactors. In addition to the physics of the phenomenon, your research in Gabon must have been a natural adventure. Deep in the West African rainforest, did you ever encounter an okapi or a forest elephant?

Unfortunately by the time I started working on this there were more than enough samples made available from French and US collaborators without having to go there. However, I have worked in the US, Japan, Belgium and Canada.

A.K. Boomer
06-03-2012, 09:48 AM
I have something kinda similar in my garage for the compressor - it's a dedicated circuit just for the compressor that has one plug and a switch where the other plug would be and a little red light right in the middle of the two to tell you what position the switch is in, I can see it from the other end of the shop day or night so that's that.

davidh
06-03-2012, 11:21 AM
there certainly are a lot of brainiacs on this forum. and i do mean this as a big compliment to those guys. . . . as in "WOW" ! im humbled. . . . . to say the least.

John Stevenson
06-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I have my main 3,000Kw compressor mounted under Gerts side of the bed.
If I forget to turn it off at night a swift elbow jab in the ribs soon reminds me .............:rolleyes:

A.K. Boomer
06-03-2012, 12:09 PM
there certainly are a lot of brainiacs on this forum. and i do mean this as a big compliment to those guys. . . . as in "WOW" ! im humbled. . . . . to say the least.

Well thanks but it was just a typical switch I found at the home depot - didn't build the switch myself but I think I did wire it, still - much appreciated.

BobL
06-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I have my main 3,000Kw compressor mounted under Gerts side of the bed.

3000kW - Wow - that much be some compressor!

You're lucky you only get a jab in the ribs.

Mcostello
06-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Here I thought he was using it as a, ahem, marital aid!

mayfieldtm
06-04-2012, 01:20 AM
John wrote...
>I forget to turn it off at night a swift elbow jab in the ribs soon reminds me
>.............

Ha! I had to laugh, I get the elbow treatment too.
1000's of times.
I can't hear it but she sure can.

Tom M.

morehelium
06-04-2012, 02:59 AM
That is the most awesome idea I've seen for deterring thieves.

A couple of signs like this, a big box in the middle of the shop that has emits a blue glow and makes some eerie humming noises... Nobody is gonna go near that!